UVa Preview

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I must have missed that one, thats a shame he was a valuable contributor here i thought
Sorry I got the fonts mixed up, I meant to say @Coachbraun72. Some guy on here was running down Trey’s play while he was here. What a dummy and at a time when our coaches are courting the youngest Braun. All it takes is one bad apple… :banghead:

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry I got the fonts mixed up, I meant to say @Coachbraun72. Some guy on here was running down Trey’s play while he was here. What a dummy and at a time when our coaches are courting the youngest Braun. All it takes is one bad apple… :banghead:

Imma bring him up only because he holds a special place in your heart @dressedcheeseside, but WrecksnEffect took it to the extreme. He went out of his way to tweet Vad telling him not to come during his recruitment. As I have said before, we have a tendency to shoot ourselves in the foot and the guy holding the gun is wearing a GT sweatshirt.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually, back to the topic at hand - perhaps one other advantage is our OL just played against an odd front. UVA is a 3-4 and last year lined up exactly how Miami did last week, so at least "I didn't know it was a 3-4, coach" can't really be an excuse for the OL this week.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
@ilovetheoption, condolences for the crushing defeat yesterday. Could you tell me what exactly Bronco is doing with his defense to stymy our offense every year? It seemed like in the second half they were ready for literally every running play that CPJ could pull out of his hat. The future looks bright for yall, he is building a seriously hardnosed and physical team, good luck next week vs. the hokies and in your bowl game.

slugboy

Staff member
I’m not @ilovetheoption , but I saw a few things yesterday

I’m not sure how big a deal the defensive scheme was yesterday, but fundamentals were huge. Most of what I saw was in the secondary.

UVA’s backs covered really well. When they had zone, they knew who to cover and where to go, and 3/4ths of the time they were in as good or better position than the receiver. They were good with their hands and they had a good view on the ball. Their pass rush didn’t seem better than ours, but their coverage was much better.

More important was shedding blocks and tackling. I saw them come in square with good angles and execute clean rugby tackles throughout the game. Usually, the first tackler took down his man, especially if the ball carrier was in front of him. They were efficient and focused on getting their guy down. That made the difference between 4th and 4 and 1st and 10 several times during the game.

We got a few good outside runs, but fairly often I’d see two or three defenders get past their blocks outside. When I did see how it happened, they charged decisively, picked a shoulder to go through, and beat their blocks. Our runners would try to stretch plays to where defenders already were instead of taking a quick two yards off tackle. When they did, we got nothing or less.

On the DL, I saw us cut block a few linemen, and they sprung back up to make the tackle. Part of that was practice, and a lot was effort and “just want it”. Those guys played a tough. Sometimes they just 1:1 beat the guy in front of them, like 4th and 1 with Oliver.

Their linebackers were quick and decisive and good tacklers. I didn’t see a lot of missed UVA tackles. I saw a good juke now and then, and it stood out for rarity.

On our side, as much as I like Woody’s scheme, I’d be happy to see us go deep into fundamentals this spring. It’s hard to recruit kids who are fast and tackle well. We can tech tackling and cover skills, if it’s something we can take the time for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I’m not sure how big a deal the defensive scheme was yesterday, but fundamentals were huge. Most of what I saw was in the secondary.

UVA’s backs covered really well. When they had zone, they knew who to cover and where to go, and 3/4ths of the time they were in as good or better position than the receiver. They were good with their hands and they had a good view on the ball. Their pass rush didn’t seem better than ours, but their coverage was much better.

More important was shedding blocks and tackling. I saw them come in square with good angles and execute clean rugby tackles throughout the game. Usually, the first tackler took down his man, especially if the ball carrier was in front of him. They were efficient and focused on getting their guy down. That made the difference between 4th and 4 and 1st and 10 several times during the game.

We got a few good outside runs, but fairly often I’d see two or three defenders get past their blocks outside. When I did see how it happened, they charged decisively, picked a shoulder to go through, and beat their blocks. Our runners would try to stretch plays to where defenders already were instead of taking a quick two yards off tackle. When they did, we got nothing or less.

On the DL, I saw us cut block a few linemen, and they sprung back up to make the tackle. Part of that was practice, and a lot was effort and “just want it”. Those guys played a tough. Sometimes they just 1:1 beat the guy in front of them, like 4th and 1 with Oliver.

Their linebackers were quick and decisive and good tacklers. I didn’t see a lot of missed UVA tackles. I saw a good juke now and then, and it stood out for rarity.

On our side, as much as I like Woody’s scheme, I’d be happy to see us go deep into fundamentals this spring. It’s hard to recruit kids who are fast and tackle well. We can tech tackling and cover skills, if it’s something we can take the time for.

The issue of our struggles making tackles is a question I'd love to hear CPJ address, but it's one that's almost impossible to ask without sounding like the thousand beyatch e-mails they have to wade through. If anybody knows a way to pass on the observation that uva seemed to not miss many tackles and have a different form than us and invite CPJ to comment using #askCPJ, I say go for it.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer

All of this, and all 11 men in the box...

/

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

Their backside safety was also 100% trailing a back motion at full speed before the snap on a majority of plays, and he is usually the unaccounted for defender. So even when we did win the battle and got the ball to the edge, they had another man there for the final option. The counter worked a few times, but as you said, they were beating a lot of our blocks too.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

Just disrespected the hell out of your passing game. We basically flew to the ball and thought "they can't make us pay for being ultra aggressive". We were right.

Marshall's a warrior, but he's a RB playing QB, and any team that respects the pass against him is making a mistake.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@ilovetheoption, condolences for the crushing defeat yesterday. Could you tell me what exactly Bronco is doing with his defense to stymy our offense every year? It seemed like in the second half they were ready for literally every running play that CPJ could pull out of his hat. The future looks bright for yall, he is building a seriously hardnosed and physical team, good luck next week vs. the hokies and in your bowl game.

Did you notice how few defenders we got on the ground Saturday? Very few from my recollection. And as @Boomergump said, they kept 9 defenders pretty much in the box to stop the run and dared us to pass. We only barely managed to make one of 8 passes work regardless...and it was an amazing catch to make it happen.

They demonstrated several things imo.
1. Beating blocks / keeping on their feet
2. Flowing to the ball without over pursuing
3. Utilizing great man coverage to free up safeties to play the run (one of the best examples of this I’ve seen thus far, Duke dared us similarly this year if I recall correctly but uva did an even better job)

Edit: this was a worthless response as others beat me to it and stated it better.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Did you notice how few defenders we got on the ground Saturday? Very few from my recollection. And as @Boomergump said, they kept 9 defenders pretty much in the box to stop the run and dared us to pass. We only barely managed to make one of 8 passes work regardless...and it was an amazing catch to make it happen.

They demonstrated several things imo.
1. Beating blocks / keeping on their feet
2. Flowing to the ball without over pursuing
3. Utilizing great man coverage to free up safeties to play the run (one of the best examples of this I’ve seen thus far, Duke dared us similarly this year if I recall correctly but uva did an even better job)
The recipe to beat CPJ's offense has been discovered!!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Just disrespected the hell out of your passing game. We basically flew to the ball and thought "they can't make us pay for being ultra aggressive". We were right.

Marshall's a warrior, but he's a RB playing QB, and any team that respects the pass against him is making a mistake.

@ilovetheoption is right.

UVA had total disregard for passing, with DB who were good enough to be “late” and still get there on time.

The post or deep slant was open. Most the passing plays had someone open, but the pass was late or slow.

You two are two of my favorite contributors to this forum, but you're wrong.

UVA did not have total disregard for our passing game imo. They trusted their dbs and their pass rush.

We did not have wide open receivers and a QB with time to throw because safeties and lbs were over pursuing.

We faced individual defenders beating their blocks and defenders rushing to catch up with rxs if not on them.

For all the praise thrown at Venables and Foster, Bronco is one of the best coaches we're ever going to face.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

UVA was right, except that one time. Fortunately for GT, they only needed one.

Best of luck on Friday. Though, I’ll be rooting for VT. I’d like Fuente to stay around as long as possible.

Last edited:

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@AE 87 don’t get me wrong... UVA was not “totally” disregarding the pass by blitzing all 4 DB every play. Those UVA CB were good.

They had 3-4 LBs playing within 3-5 yards off the LOS and 2 safeties within 7-10 yards off the LOS. The Safeties were good about seeing the OL pass block to predict passes. The back side safeties did shoot hard to the motion side. The back side safety was killing the pitch man on the far side of the field. That is a run hard as you can type of play (and leave yourself open to a pass play).

UVA took a greater risk on passing to try and kill the run. I wonder why CPJ never got the ABacks into the passing game.

That said, I also think the whole UVA group performed well. They defeated blocks and moved fast in the right direction.