UVa Preview

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
A fake run and then drop back/roll out pass to a A-back would have killed against that safety action i bet

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Just disrespected the hell out of your passing game. We basically flew to the ball and thought "they can't make us pay for being ultra aggressive". We were right.

Marshall's a warrior, but he's a RB playing QB, and any team that respects the pass against him is making a mistake.

It seems like Bronco does one helluva job getting his Def guys ready for us

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll say, watching the UVa sideline, they seemed a little more focused on the game, but it was a bit cheesy seeing 50+ year old men jumping around.

I don't think they were looking ahead 9f our game by the looks of it. They were very focused on winning this past Saturday. Glad we could take their shot and still pull off the victory.

slugboy

Staff member
Just disrespected the hell out of your passing game. We basically flew to the ball and thought "they can't make us pay for being ultra aggressive". We were right.

Marshall's a warrior, but he's a RB playing QB, and any team that respects the pass against him is making a mistake.

Well, there we have it. Something to work on in Bowl prep.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
@AE 87 don’t get me wrong... UVA was not “totally” disregarding the pass by blitzing all 4 DB every play. Those UVA CB were good.

They had 3-4 LBs playing within 3-5 yards off the LOS and 2 safeties within 7-10 yards off the LOS. The Safeties were good about seeing the OL pass block to predict passes. The back side safeties did shoot hard to the motion side. The back side safety was killing the pitch man on the far side of the field. That is a run hard as you can type of play (and leave yourself open to a pass play).

UVA took a greater risk on passing to try and kill the run. I wonder why CPJ never got the ABacks into the passing game.

That said, I also think the whole UVA group performed well. They defeated blocks and moved fast in the right direction.

This is what I meant. We lined up VERY tight in the box, and took chances against the run, because we didn't think you could make us pay consistently enough in the passing game. We did a risk/reward analysis, and the "aggressively attack the run" was a better expected value than "keep guys back in case they go over the top" If you look at how we're lined up most of the game, it's in aVERY aggressive posture.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Bronco is a very good defensive coach. His weakness is being a tad too conservative imo, particularly on O. But he will have his players coached up and fundamentally sound for the most part. That’s a recipe for success. I think UvA is about to eclipse VPI again for a few years.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Heh it was amusing reading that you thought Perkins would hurdle Mitchell on the way to the endzone. He did try the hurdle but Anree wasn't the right guy to do it against. I'm not one who thinks the 3rd and 1 shot at the endzone was the wrong call. The guy was open enough for a TD with a little better throw. I think the worst call of the game for Bronco was trying a trick play in OT when we were having a very difficult time stopping the basic stuff. Completely ruined that whole possession.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
It seemed like UVA had their CBs lined up 8-10 yards off of the LOS all game. I miss the days where we had a QB that could immediately sling it out there and let our WR do their thing against 1 defender. It's really amazing how we've been able to win 7 games this year when our ability to effectively throw has been sketchy at best.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Bronco is a very good defensive coach. His weakness is being a tad too conservative imo, particularly on O. But he will have his players coached up and fundamentally sound for the most part. That’s a recipe for success. I think UvA is about to eclipse VPI again for a few years.

Yea, I did think he did us a favor by kicking the FG and not going for it on 4th and 1 in the 4thQ ...

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
It's really amazing how we've been able to win 7 games this year when our ability to effectively throw has been sketchy at best.

We’ve been holding back. TaQuon is going to throw it around like Matt Ryan on Saturday. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Taquon might not have the better arm, but he definitely has the better legs ... on one of the sacks yesterday I think Matt Ryan tripped over the chalk line (sic) ??

LMAO [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
In the post game interview, Marshall said they had some plus drawn up, but we didn’t end up needing them.
Our offensive series were (ESPN link):
  1. Field Goal 65 yards 4:22 8 plays
  2. Punt 17 yards 3:42 6 plays
  3. Field Goal 65 yards 6:46 13 plays
  4. Punt 14 yards 1:26 3 plays
  5. (half)
  6. Downs 55 yards 4:45 9 plays
  7. Punt 7 yards
  8. Touchdown 41 yards 5:41 11 plays
  9. Field Goal 44 yards 3:27 7 plays -- at this point, we had 27 points.
  10. (regulation )
  11. Field Goal 2 yards, 3 plays,
I'm not sure why we wouldn't have "needed it", with only one offensive touchdown during the game.
(Reminder, we got 8 points from a free kick runback and 2 from a safety. )

Out of our 30 points, we got 12 from field goals, 2 from the defense, 8 from a free kick return, and 8 from "traditional" offense.
I'm thrilled with the game, and it was exciting to watch, but it wasn't our marquee offensive showcase.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
  5. (half)
  7. Punt 7 yards
  10. (regulation )
I'm not sure why we wouldn't have "needed it", with only one offensive touchdown during the game.

Out of our 30 points, we got 12 from field goals, 2 from the defense, 8 from a free kick return, and 8 from "traditional" offense.
I'm thrilled with the game, and it was exciting to watch, but it wasn't our marquee offensive showcase.
Probably because the plays drawn up aren't necessarily for inside the opponents 30 which is where we kept stalling.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
  5. (half)
  7. Punt 7 yards
  10. (regulation )

I don’t know. Just mentioning what I heard. I forgot to add it was in the context of second half adjustments. We drove the valk pretty well on the first drive. I don’t remember what happened on the one we punted. After that we scored each time we had the ball.

slugboy

Staff member
I don’t know. Just mentioning what I heard. I forgot to add it was in the context of second half adjustments. We drove the valk pretty well on the first drive. I don’t remember what happened on the one we punted. After that we scored each time we had the ball.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with what you said or that quote from TaQuan was wrong (I think you got it right). I just don't know how, as a player, you look at that game and think you didn't need one of those special plays you cooked up in a game that was so close, and that you stayed out of the end zone so much.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with what you said or that quote from TaQuan was wrong (I think you got it right). I just don't know how, as a player, you look at that game and think you didn't need one of those special plays you cooked up in a game that was so close, and that you stayed out of the end zone so much.
We were just looking ahead to UGA I'm sure ;)

Hopefully no punches are held this Saturday.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
  5. (half)
  7. Punt 7 yards
  10. (regulation )

Right, but that 2.125 points/drive (17/8) in regulation was still 17% better than the 1.81 ppd which UVA had been allowing power5 teams on average. So, not a marquee showing, but not still value added.

By contrast their 3.86 pts/drive (27 pts in 7 drives since I typically give safeties to the Special Teams) is 89% better than the 2.04 ppd which UVA's offense scores on average against power5 teams. Even if you give our D the points and the drive from the safety, the 3.125 pts/drive (25 pts/8drives) would be 53% better. On the other hand, in the second half, we held them to 6 pts in 4 drives, 1.5 pts/drive which would've been great for the game. For the game, that would've been 12 points, and our offense alone would've won.

With that being