UVa Preview

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
GT is at home vs UVA. GT wins. It's almost science at this point.

I also think there's going to be some looking ahead to getting the VT monkey off their back.

Good analysis. Probably the key matchup will be how we contain Perkins.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Could we bring more heat?
Against mia I thought we played a more aggressive defense. It seemed to help JJ, CThomas, and BM.

I loved that we were disguising the intentions by moving the lb and db s around. Maybe only eye candy but I like it

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Which rankings are you using for offense, defense, and special teams? (Looks like FEI)

I tend to count the freak UM punt as a freak play. It would have taken eyes in the back of the helmet to turn and catch that ball, or get out of the way.

For the defense, I'm hoping Woody has something cooked up for this game. If the big threat is a mobile QB, and one guy isn't enough to spy them, then we gotta rely on the scheme.

Yes FEI https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feist

The only issue I have with our ST coverage was that it wasn't (effectively) communicated to Cottrell that the kick was low. There should have been a lot of yelling to watch the hell out. Maybe there was and he didn't hear it.

But I agree, that type of play is a freak play.

Edit update: Not related to the UVa discussion but ST. That muffed punt by UM couldn't be advanced. I thought it could till I read the rules (better to check than make a fool out of myself again). Now if UM had received the ball with possession and then fumbled, we could advance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffed_punt

So on the punt that hit Cottrel was marked where he touched it since we never had possession.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree that Charlie as an OLB would not be the typical spy, but I wasn't saying for him to be a typical spy, I was saying he coule play a role in containing him. Charlie is often rushing the QB anyway, so my thought was more in playing games in the way he rushes. Instead of the "get to the QB" mentality, have him feign the rush so as to occupy a blocker but then not really rush, rather play a little bit of a spy game in hanging back and seeing where the QB is going to try to escape and being there for him. A pseudo-spy, if you will. Not every time, but picking certain moments, and especially on some 3rd and longs when the QB-escape is the most likely poison for us.

A Michael Johnson or Attaochu (which is who I'm hoping C.Thomas turns into before he's done) type OLB/DE would be very good in that kind of role.

This is for a QB whose feet scare you more than his arm.

What I totally agree is it has to be done in spots no matter what anyway. So if they slide the line to thomas’ side, then bring the mlb on an arc thomas is freed up to the shade middle zone to spy. Pretty common.

We used to put another S down in the box almost as a permanent robber. He would read 3 and play off that, hit the under routes hard if its a passing down and spy on middle downs.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
@33jacket Have you seen the safety in the box this year?
Definitely. Anytime we end up in cover 3 or cover 1 (so 1 deep safety), that puts the other safety as a box player even if he didn't line up in the box before the snap. I haven't paid enough attention (have been paying more attention to the front seven) to know how often we bring a safety forward, but on the Juanyeh pick 6 against Louisville he was lined up at ILB depth and width, and I'm almost positive he was in there at one of the two safety spots.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I think the UVa secondary will play a big role in any kind of success for Tech's offense. Those blocks on the edge against corners are key for rocket toss or option to break big. Same thing for option or B back breaking the second level against the safeties.
I wonder if Bronco will call any corner or safety blitzes, not fearing us throwing deep.
I think this offense puts more stress on all three levels of the defense.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You don’t like our OL vs their thin/inexperienced DL?
Hansen has done well w drive blocks and Morgan came in for unc game and did well where more recognition and agility was important (I.E. roll right pass block).

I am wondering if the injury riddled uva defense will bring the safeties and lb - like we saw in 15 at nd, vt, etc. That's a look that the younger guys have not seen. We have the disappeared person will Bryan who could help, but since he went out w injury from usf for Clemson and pitt he never got a start at his old position rg. A
He has only played in the Duke game when the young guys had trouble w the reads . He could help if needed as he is much leaner and stronger.

Hopefully we load up the sweep and bb dive wagon and stay on schedule.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Hansen has done well w drive blocks and Morgan came in for unc game and did well where more recognition and agility was important (I.E. roll right pass block).

I am wondering if the injury riddled uva defense will bring the safeties and lb - like we saw in 15 at nd, vt, etc. That's a look that the younger guys have not seen. We have the disappeared person will Bryan who could help, but since he went out w injury from usf for Clemson and pitt he never got a start at his old position rg. A
He has only played in the Duke game when the young guys had trouble w the reads . He could help if needed as he is much leaner and stronger.

Hopefully we load up the sweep and bb dive wagon and stay on schedule.
Will Bryan’s absence from the field is the biggest mystery of the season and nobody is talking about it.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Will Bryan’s absence from the field is the biggest mystery of the season and nobody is talking about it.
When we have brought it up, there has been a definite shssssh on the board. One of my favorites So unselfish and constantly giving 110% Great family. I hope he is well and wish him nothing but the best

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I say let Tariq spy Perkins all game. Make him throw the ball and we’ll get enough failed drives or turnovers(because we only need a couple) for us to take control of their DL and the game.

That WB will break or avoid a lot of 1v1 tackles. If we don’t gang tackle him we might not tackle him much at all. He has a nasty combination of size, strength, and quick slipperiness.

Contain him in the pocket and break down on him.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Yes FEI https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feist

The only issue I have with our ST coverage was that it wasn't (effectively) communicated to Cottrell that the kick was low. There should have been a lot of yelling to watch the hell out. Maybe there was and he didn't hear it.

But I agree, that type of play is a freak play.

Edit update: Not related to the UVa discussion but ST. That muffed punt by UM couldn't be advanced. I thought it could till I read the rules (better to check than make a fool out of myself again). Now if UM had received the ball with possession and then fumbled, we could advance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffed_punt

So on the punt that hit Cottrel was marked where he touched it since we never had possession.
I thought we made the adjustment one kick too late. If anyone tries that again, just go punt block, that will cut it out quickly.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I really think players and their families should stay off the boards. I think he probably learned that was a good thing to do.

I wouldn’t be surprised if @flea77 didn’t come around anymore to after that last debacle of a thread.
I must have missed that one, thats a shame he was a valuable contributor here i thought