UVa Preview

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the awesome and amusing write-up

Which ACC team has had the best success against Perkins and what was their recipe for success?
Miami, and a couple of things, but mostly "have linebackers just as athletic as perkins".

Perkins game largely revolves around his athleticism. Many of our biggest plays are nothing more complex than "in man coverage, the other teams spy couldn't deal with Perkins combination of size and speed, and he made a play".

Anae isn't football Albert Einstein. He isn't even football Fat Albert. He's frankly a below average OC, but he has no compunction about telling Perkins "I have no concern whatsoever for your pro prospects, and will consistently put you in danger if it means 3 yards".

Because of this, on ANY play he's a threat to break one, so it makes defenses play really conservative, because if you play much man, he'll torch your lb's if the DB's turn their backs. Miami could play man because their LB's are just as big and fast as Perkins. With tighter coverage, he threw 3 picks, and we managed 16 points total.

Deleted member 2897

Here are some stats from the last 2 games.

2017 @ Virginia
Passing: 6/22, 179 yards
Rushing: 220 yards, 4.2 ypc
http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400937512

2016 @ Georgia Tech
Passing: 5/10, 122 yards
Rushing: 199 yards, 6.4 ypc
http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400869494

A few thoughts.

First, notice that we're averaging 210 yards rushing against Virginia. That's better than Miami territory - that's like Clemson territory. Virginia has been VERY GOOD at stifling our run. Furthermore, I'll point out that in 2016 we had a 67 yard run and a 60 yard run. If not for those 2 plays, we would have had 29 rushes for 72 yards. No crap. Virginia actually had the ball, down 7 with 5 minutes left in the game.

We have different personnel than the last 2 years - I have a hard time believing we can win throwing the ball 10-15 times. But that's what they dare you to do, which is smart.

I think the key is that they're going to show us exactly the same stuff they have before. Just like Miami did, Duke did, and Clemson did. Do we have answers for it?

This is going to be a TOUGH game in my opinion, and I am glad it is at home. This one is for all the glory - if we win, we finish no worse than 2nd in the Coastal - it will be the 7th time in CPJs 11 years we finish 1st or 2nd in the Coastal. We'll probably finish around 5th overall in the ACC.

BUT, BUT! There's a chance that Syracuse, Boston College, and NC State all finish 5-3. So wait for it...there's a chance we finish TIED FOR SECOND IN THE ENTIRE ACC, LOLOLOLOL. If they all finish 5-3 and Pitt does too. Hilarious.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
So, I've heard there may be some interest in me doing a writeup so here goes.

To me, it really comes down to two matchups: GT's OL vs UVa's DL, and GT's LBs vs UVa QB Bryce Perkins. More on both of these later.

UVA D vs GT O.

This is where each coach makes their money, and each serve as unit coordinator as well as head coach.

Bronco Mendenhall teams are actually is temperamentally well suited to deal with Paul Johnson teams. Johnson's teams destroy undisciplined teams (within a reasonable talent range), and Bronco Mendenhall recruits, trains, and fields teams full of disciplined "do your job" types. Even though GT hung 36 on the Hoos last year, UVa has actually held up pretty well against the GT's run game since Mendenhall has arrived, being up at halftime 2 years ago (10-7) and holding GT to 4 yards a carry last year.

UVa runs a power 3-4 on defense, and is nominally stout up front. You're looking at a starting 3 of
DE (6'4, 305) Eli Hanback
NT (6'1, 290) Jordan Redmond
DE (6'1, 270) Aaron Faumui

Backup DL (6'5, 280) Dylan Thompson

This is NOT what UVA thought the depth chart was going to look like before the season, or even 3 weeks ago.
Starters Richard Burney and then Mandy Alonso (who GT wanted very badly as an OL, IIRC) have been injured, as well as some depth players, so the DL is PAPER thin at the moment. UVa relies on the DL to keep their LB's clean, and worn down DL in the 2nd half would mean tackles and centers running free on LB's, which means GT marching up and down the field.

UVa's linebackers are good, with 6'7, 205 lb OLB/Scarecrow Charles Snowden being particularly effective due to the fact that he being blocked by people used to dealing with Linebackers and Defensive Linemen, while he is in fact a Small Forward. I'm also going to mention that ILB Zane Zandier has perhaps the best linebacker nickname ever created in "ZZ Stop".

That said, they're not good enough to take over games themselves with individual dominance, so the play of the LB's is highly influenced by the play of the DL.

If the GT offense gets a couple drives going early, even if they don't score TD's, it bodes very well for the rest of the game, as those body punches will accumulate and the 2nd half may look like a tractor pull, with GT grinding up and down the field on a worn out, injury depleted UVa DL, reminiscent of Zach Laskey grinding up UGA's defense 6 yards a pop a couple years ago. If, on the other hand, Uva can get a couple stops early, they may be able to stay fresh enough to slow GT down for the rest of the game.

UVa's secondary is rock solid. Better, frankly, than GT's WR's, but we all know that's a minor factor in any GT game.

This side of the ball will be won and lost in the trenches. Honestly, I think UVa's D is in trouble. I think this may look somewhat like the VT game, where Johnson doesn't try to do much option, and just says "F it, I'm gonna run it down your throat, what are you gonna do about it?".

GT is going to score. The question, then, is will UVa be able to score enough to keep up?

To be continued.
You are one of my favorite posters until UVA week. I hope your team loses by 20 ;)

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

2017 @ Virginia

2016 @ Georgia Tech

A few thoughts.

First, notice that we're averaging 210 yards rushing against Virginia. That's better than Miami territory - that's like Clemson territory. Virginia has been VERY GOOD at stifling our run. Furthermore, I'll point out that in 2016 we had a 67 yard run and a 60 yard run. If not for those 2 plays, we would have had 29 rushes for 72 yards. No crap. Virginia actually had the ball, down 7 with 5 minutes left in the game.

We have different personnel than the last 2 years - I have a hard time believing we can win throwing the ball 10-15 times. But that's what they dare you to do, which is smart.

I think the key is that they're going to show us exactly the same stuff they have before. Just like Miami did, Duke did, and Clemson did. Do we have answers for it?

This is going to be a TOUGH game in my opinion, and I am glad it is at home. This one is for all the glory - if we win, we finish no worse than 2nd in the Coastal - it will be the 7th time in CPJs 11 years we finish 1st or 2nd in the Coastal. We'll probably finish around 5th overall in the ACC.

BUT, BUT! There's a chance that Syracuse, Boston College, and NC State all finish 5-3. So wait for it...there's a chance we finish TIED FOR SECOND IN THE ENTIRE ACC, LOLOLOLOL. If they all finish 5-3 and Pitt does too. Hilarious.
In 2015 Justin Thomas was 13-31 for 251 yards and 2 tds against Virginia

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

2017 @ Virginia

2016 @ Georgia Tech

A few thoughts.

I have heard others mention that good passing defenses cause GT more issues than run defenses. Having corners capable of winning 1v1 will limit our passing. Have athletic safeties and linebackers in space can limit our ability to get to the edge. Having explosive rush ends capable of getting in the back field will muddy our dive reads.

Most good rush defenses have good dl cloggers, but not necessarily getting in the backfield, and the line backers are better moving down hill to plug gaps. We have plays around both of those, but there is no answer to a MLB capable of beating our ABs to the sideline, or an athletic corner beating our WR blocks.

This was just a theory I read a while ago that I tend to believe. @ilovetheoption mentioned the secondary is the teams strength and if that has been the same in the past, it may explain it a bit.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
You are one of my favorite posters until UVA week. I hope your team loses by 20 ;)
Pretty much anyone can beat Virginia by 20

upload_2018-11-12_18-6-52.png

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
We have to win up the middle on offense in this game. UVA will try to make us go outside and string those plays out as much as possible because they have the advantage there. If we can force the ball up the middle we can win this one. I actually don't have a lot of hope stopping a mobile qb with the lack of athleticism we have on defense, so hopefully we can get ahead, eat the clock, and force him to throw.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@ilovetheoption, just curious as to your feelings toward Coach M and the direction of your program under him. IIRC, you were less than enthusiastic initially. As others said, thanks for sharing your knowledge here. This game will be a battle. If we can win the TO margin again, I think we should win at home...but it will not be easy.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
@ilovetheoption, just curious as to your feelings toward Coach M and the direction of your program under him. IIRC, you were less than enthusiastic initially. As others said, thanks for sharing your knowledge here. This game will be a battle. If we can win the TO margin again, I think we should win at home...but it will not be easy.
I think he's really weird, and I think if I were to know him personally, I wouldn't be a big fan. That said, 2 years improvement is 2 years improvement. There are many ways to skin a cat, and BM's (and yes, I insist on calling him BM) appears to have our program tilted in the right direction. I don't have to want to hang out with the guy to appreciate good football, and we're playing much better football.

Yes, a LARGE portion of his success has been hitting 2x in a row with QB transfers, but F it, good quarterback play is good quarterback play, and who am I to say it's not sustainable. He has earned the benefit of the doubt in my eyes, for the time being. I'm willing to give him 5 years to show what he can do, because I'm no longer concerned he's actively wrecking the program. (or, like, FURTHER wrecking the program? You know what I mean. Worse actually WAS possible)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think he's really weird, and I think if I were to know him personally, I wouldn't be a big fan. That said, 2 years improvement is 2 years improvement. There are many ways to skin a cat, and BM's (and yes, I insist on calling him BM) appears to have our program tilted in the right direction. I don't have to want to hang out with the guy to appreciate good football, and we're playing much better football.

Yes, a LARGE portion of his success has been hitting 2x in a row with QB transfers, but F it, good quarterback play is good quarterback play, and who am I to say it's not sustainable. He has earned the benefit of the doubt in my eyes, for the time being. I'm willing to give him 5 years to show what he can do, because I'm no longer concerned he's actively wrecking the program. (or, like, FURTHER wrecking the program? You know what I mean. Worse actually WAS possible)

I think I told you in year 1 that Bronco was a good coach and would prove himself. UVA is now a better than average team. They are average on O and better than average on D, and I think still getting better on both sides of the ball as Bronco continues to build depth.

We haven't had bad Georgia Tech for a few games (since Duke), so it should be a good coaching battle between CPJ and Bronco. Between our two QB's I think we have a bigger playbook to deal with so it should be interesting to see how it goes. Y'all have a better Offense than d'oh U, but they have a better D. We have not contained mobile QBs well this year, it seems to me, so that might be a difference maker for y'all if you can slow down our O.

I think CPJ wins this one by, as you say, wearing out your beat-up DL.

Oh, and it's Senior Day so there's no way that Marshall doesn't start.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I think I told you in year 1 that Bronco was a good coach and would prove himself. UVA is now a better than average team. They are average on O and better than average on D, and I think still getting better on both sides of the ball as Bronco continues to build depth.

We haven't had bad Georgia Tech for a few games (since Duke), so it should be a good coaching battle between CPJ and Bronco. Between our two QB's I think we have a bigger playbook to deal with so it should be interesting to see how it goes. Y'all have a better Offense than d'oh U, but they have a better D. We have not contained mobile QBs well this year, it seems to me, so that might be a difference maker for y'all if you can slow down our O.

I think CPJ wins this one by, as you say, wearing out your beat-up DL.

Oh, and it's Senior Day so there's no way that Marshall doesn't start.
Virginia's defense is beat all to hell and that works in GT's favor;)

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Bronco is a big believer in scheduling easy. If you're not realistically in a position to make the playoffs, strength of schedule doesn't really matter at all
I wholly agree with Bronco. With Tech playing uga and Clemson every year, Tech could play 3 horrible teams at home and still have a strong schedule compared to some other teams in playoff contention.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In this game our guys have to be feeling like we can redeem our stupid early and mid season screwups.

After the Miami win, I have gotten positive GT messages from several h s coaches here in pensacola. They loved the active defense and the mistake free offense.
Our players are happy , but not satisfied.

I think we will come out focused and playing like a team of angry men. We will bring it on defense. Will burn uva with a few passes and misdirection plays ( thank u coach) and run the ball for b.c some big gains. Solid win by plus 21!

2018, uva, its time!