UVa Preview

slugboy

Staff member
Right, but that 2.125 points/drive (17/8) in regulation was still 17% better than the 1.81 ppd which UVA had been allowing power5 teams on average. So, not a marquee showing, but not still value added.

By contrast their 3.86 pts/drive (27 pts in 7 drives since I typically give safeties to the Special Teams) is 89% better than the 2.04 ppd which UVA's offense scores on average against power5 teams. Even if you give our D the points and the drive from the safety, the 3.125 pts/drive (25 pts/8drives) would be 53% better. On the other hand, in the second half, we held them to 6 pts in 4 drives, 1.5 pts/drive which would've been great for the game. For the game, that would've been 12 points, and our offense alone would've won.

With that being

Keep in mind that Wells was stone cold PERFECT on the day. You can't always count on that kind of play out of your kicker.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with what you said or that quote from TaQuan was wrong (I think you got it right). I just don't know how, as a player, you look at that game and think you didn't need one of those special plays you cooked up in a game that was so close, and that you stayed out of the end zone so much.
Because the player understands that the coach didn't call for them? ;) I expect the plays work in certain situations.. We seemed to move the ball fairly well (all things considered) when TQM was in the game.. Once you get into shorter fields the defense, by default, flattens out and the closer to LoS plays become harder (shortened field makes defending players stay more shallow).

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Actually, back to the topic at hand - perhaps one other advantage is our OL just played against an odd front. UVA is a 3-4 and last year lined up exactly how Miami did last week, so at least "I didn't know it was a 3-4, coach" can't really be an excuse for the OL this week.

well, after the game now, it sure looked at times like we hadn't seen it before much
we gained 230 yds vs uva, Citadel gained 250 vs BAMA,think about it

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Probably because the plays drawn up aren't necessarily for inside the opponents 30 which is where we kept stalling.

it does not take much to see with no deep pass threat normally it gets even worse down near goal, --plus size of the backs make a difference here also with less room to move, just have to bully forward

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, the statistics from cfbstats.com say that Citadel rushed for 275 yds in 60 attempts or 4.58 yards/carry and GT rushed for 268 yds in 52 attempts vs uva for 5.15 ypc.
Yes but obviously total stats are more relevant than per play/per drive metrics

/s

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind that Wells was stone cold PERFECT on the day. You can't always count on that kind of play out of your kicker.

Yes we can.

Wesley Wells career stats:
FG 8/8; long 48; 3/3 40-49yds; 35-35 PAT

He once hit an upright on a made field goal just to prove he could.

Anyway... I think UVA was a really good opponent. Best prepared for us on both sides of anyone although not overwhelmingly talented like Clemson. They played us better than Duke, but we missed a ton of opportunities in that game we never had in this one. Offensively, we were moving the ball some, so it's hard to try and exploit the relative passing advantage when we aren't forced to. The couple of times we did, TaQuon didn't feel comfortable unleashing. I couldn't see the whole field, but it looked mostly that people were well covered and he was looking for someone to be open that wasn't rather than trying to deliver the ball on time to see if we win a one-on-one. Their rush wasn't overwhelming, but they kept him from scrambling or trying to get the ball to a guy getting free after the play breaks down. Yeah the opportunity was there, but it's hard to sacrifice a down when we don't have to.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Wesley Wells is a very interesting kicker:
1) once in Lumpkin County it was so cold he started a fire using only dental floss and water.
2) Living in the south Mosquitoes refuse to bite him purely out of respect.
3) His uniform is always clean after a game.
4) He once bowled 300 using his foot.
5) He can speak Russian… in French

He is the most interesting kicker

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Wesley Wells is a very interesting kicker:
1) once in Lumpkin County it was so cold he started a fire using only dental floss and water.
2) Living in the south Mosquitoes refuse to bite him purely out of respect.
3) His uniform is always clean after a game.
4) He once bowled 300 using his foot.
5) He can speak Russian… in French

He is the most interesting kicker

I don't kare ebout awl that stuff, but it sure can keeek!