USF Postgame #USFvsGT

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Defense is night and day. Offensively, we are bad, but we could find ourselves quickly. Oliver can mask the O-line's shortcomings with his running. Graham still has upside. I just dont see it with Lucas, ya'll

Both Defense and Offense are night and day.

I don't claim, as many here do, that I know better than CGC who should be QB. I do think our O is not as good as it ought to be.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Defensive improvements are very apparent and encouraging to see. Especially given how young they all are.

For the offense the more they can replicate the success they had with TO/Graham on the field the better. That was fun

And through 3 quarters of football we scored more on Clemson than A&M has. Just sayin'

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
The defense is going to be awesome long term under CGC. I have no doubt about that.

The offense is very much a work in progress.

And we have the 2nd best punter in the country by a longshot. With a poor offense, that's a huge security blanket.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I can't help but think we'd better find something else to do on O.

D looked like heroes today.

Our kicker is amaaaaaaaaaazing.

I look forward to games being less hot. I watched like 3 guys get walked out by EMT's.

Rzunz

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m down here in Tampa. USF definitely has some athletes and experience(lots of transfers too). They also have a revamped Offense so they could get better as the season wears on, unless they quit on their Coach. New OC Kerwin Bell came from Valdosta State and averaged 52 a game or something crazy. He was supposed to be the answer to their Offensive collapse last year. Great win CGC and Jackets!!
Defense:

(1) PASS RUSH - This is the biggest pass rush I can recall GT having in a game since Attaochu played. Granted USF is supposed to suck at protection, but for the past several years teams have had forever to throw the ball.

(2) RUN D - Really nice to see how well we stopped the run today.

(3) SWARMING DEFENSE - Definitely snuffed out some plays that could have hurt us. Most notably when their dual threat QB reversed field a lot of white shirts were there to stop him. Also recall hustling to the ball to get the stop on USF's FG drive.

(4) TACKLING - Generally tackled well.

(5) BIG PLAYS - The coverage gaffe and letting Blake Barnett loose for a 48-yd run sucked. But still better than game one. Not great but not awful either.

Overall: B. USF shot themselves in the foot a bunch. Still, the defense is coming along and one sees the potential.

Offense:

(1) OL INJURIES - Cooper and Minihan out really hurt us.

(2) PASSING - Protected well at times, and came close to hitting some downfield shots. As expected we still suck at it, however one does see some flashes here and there. But obviously is an adventure. Tipped ball likely was an OL not doing their job to keep the read man's hands down.

(3) RUNNING - Ran well at times but very inconsistent blocking up front. Mason and Oliver run like beasts.

(4) QB ROTATION - This won't be popular, but I don't mind seeing all three kids play. First, the staff is emphasizing ATL, and I think relative to each other these guys are all ATL. You can't just claim to have this policy and then not actually do it. Now, ATL may ultimately be a flop and get you fired, but I am glad to see the integrity of the staff in doing what they said they would do. Second, it builds depth at the position. Like it or not we will do well to win 6 games this year. Let's develop these guys and see how they all do with the lights on. Injuries and bad days happen. If the main guy goes down or plays poorly I will feel better about the other two coming in. Third, in college football these days you see a lot of wildcat and it's really not that unusual to see more than one guy take snaps. Those guys tend to have packages that emphasize their strong points. Just didn't see that much under CPJ because his system requires tons of reps to work.

(5) OLIVER IN THE SLOT - I like it. The kid is an elite athlete so get him on the field. Especially on runs. Also shows the staff is serious about getting a guy like him to the NFL.

(6) PLAYCALLING / OFFENSIVE IDENTITY - Like many I wouldn't have minded seeing Oliver play until USF stopped him, which I think they would have. They certainly did when we were running out the clock. This won't be popular but I am not that worried about offensive identity. We do a lot and none of it particularly well, it is true. However I do think the transition requires some tinkering and figuring out what's going to work this year. Long term I think the basic idea of what we want to do is sound. I just think it's going to be tough for awhile. I do hope to see some consistency coalesce by the end of the season.

(7) SWINGING GATE - Not real crazy about it. Seems gimicky and we haven't had much success with it so far.

Overall: C-. USF gifted us a lot, and we have a long way to go. OL injuries likely affected what we saw today. The trenches matter hugely.

Special Teams:

Punting A
KO coverage B-
KOR B-
FG/XP B-

No big plays given up, overall will go with 'B' since punting happened a lot.

Overall, a win is win and it's good to get this one in the books. Teams that make fewer mistakes often win. USF made a bunch and we didn't. Defense is getting coached up and is a pleasant surprise IMO. Offense is taking it's lumps and looks like a new system with players recruited for another system.

Just my $0.02, but I tend to take a long term view of things.

Now on a real positive, it is evident our vast improvement in strength and conditioning is making a huge difference. Even with as much as they played the defense did not look gassed. And did you all notice the plays where their QB would try to get outside and our D-lineman cut off the angles and ran him down. Charlie Thomas is a stud also. Didn't see much of BJS, is he not playing? And Mason looks a lot stronger.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I knew our O almost had to take a BIG step back this year while we try to implement a new system. So, for me, I am not in despair, because I guess I expected this.

I am pleasantly surprised that our team has been, for the most part, very disciplined and kept penalties to a minimum. I would be in more despair if our team was beating itself like USF did today.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I knew our O almost had to take a BIG step back this year while we try to implement a new system. So, for me, I am not in despair, because I guess I expected this.

I am pleasantly surprised that our team has been, for the most part, very disciplined and kept penalties to a minimum. I would be in more despair if our team was beating itself like USF did today.

Great point. Our lack of penalties is a big indication of good coaching imo.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Wann a hear a hot take? But I think it’s accurate:

Our vertical passing game with the same qbs was 10x better last year in the flex than it is with this scheme.

I’ll run and hide now lol

more like an Unpopular Opinion and nope. Graham and LJ actually lean in to their throws and fling it. No back-foot airballs from these kids. The WRs might be better too but who knows?

Animal02

Banned
Now on a real positive, it is evident our vast improvement in strength and conditioning is making a huge difference. Even with as much as they played the defense did not look gassed. And did you all notice the plays where their QB would try to get outside and our D-lineman cut off the angles and ran him down. Charlie Thomas is a stud also. Didn't see much of BJS, is he not playing? And Mason looks a lot stronger.
I noticed strength wise even in the Clemp game...guys brought runners down with arm tackles.....never seemed to happen last year.