Up and coming receivers

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Malachi Carter showed some promise this year. Camp disappointed me a little bit. I was(and am) really excited to see Hawkins-Anderson, but maybe he isn't ready. It would be an awesome speed/size combo with Dolphus. Sanders also got some hype.
Camp is just too slow to be productive. He can’t separate at all. I’m sure he could win in a possession situation and not real sure but he’s probably a good blocker.

He’s scary looking for a WR but that’s about it. He runs like a 6’6” 275 pound TE

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We desperately need more speed at the Linebacker positions, so I am willing to listen to all potential moves with faster players.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Lol. Well you and I are in 100% agreement, you were justtttt a bit more direct:) This is why if we switch OL coaches, its pointless unless we go outside of the PJ and service academy tree. We need some new perspective with this position group. Changing messengers without changing technique is a waste of time and energy. I know this is a WR thread, but it all flows together in the passing game
The ol coaches need to be a lot younger and better at teaching.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Especially when we have one of them cover the fastest receiver on the other team.

Could not have been a worse call for cover 2 shell or tampa2. Uga saw this as a tape tendancy on early downs and purposely put their fastest player at #3 forcing the mlb to take him; which is his responsibility on seam plays. Unfortunately that D is meant for when 3 is a TE not in 4 wr sets vs our base D.

Lets just say woody shoulda taken a TO or there had to be a check to get out of that and bring the other S over and move into man. You cant ask any mlb to do that. Totally schooled

If paul had been a hc not an oc at that point coaching his O (iirc that is what he said he was doing) its on him to take the to.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Since we threw it so little this year it's really hard for me to tell who is our next #1 and #2 receiver. Hopefully we have a a healthy QB that CPJ trusts to throw more than a vertical on 3rd and long to help make things more clear.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Could not have been a worse call for cover 2 shell or tampa2. Uga saw this as a tape tendancy on early downs and purposely put their fastest player at #3 forcing the mlb to take him; which is his responsibility on seam plays. Unfortunately that D is meant for when 3 is a TE not in 4 wr sets vs our base D.

Lets just say woody shoulda taken a TO or there had to be a check to get out of that and bring the other S over and move into man. You cant ask any mlb to do that. Totally schooled

If paul had been a hc not an oc at that point coaching his O (iirc that is what he said he was doing) its on him to take the to.
Isn't there someone upstairs in the box tasked with watching for that stuff also?

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Just after Juanjey took it back the idea of putting him at wide receiver jumped into my head. Some of y'all have good arguments against that, though. He is a playmaker and we need a playmaker at wide receiver desperately.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Isn't there someone upstairs in the box tasked with watching for that stuff also?

Maybe. But it doesn’t take someone in a box to see 3 wr trips and know what was called. U dont think brant was like ****. I hope we get qb pressure fast? Or i hop the wr breaks his route off? He was hoping for sure.

Flat out. Uga out coached one of our tendancies and personnel groupings. Its that simple.

And we didnt have an auto check installed. Perhaps due to d still being new. We rarely actually never ran tampa2 under roof that i can recall

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Trying to stay on topic:

2019 WR situation:
Camp: I can see JC being the reliable Brad Stewart role (great blocking, sure hands)
Carter: Glimpses of playmaking ability, more speed (enough, tho?)

Hawkins-Anderson, Sanders, Dolphus, Jackson, Harris: can one of these bring the playmaking ability (i.e. speed to burn) we need here?

Jaylon Jackson is intriguing (has size of an AB but listed at WR. Remember Anthony Autry (not Myles)? Looked dynamic before leaving).
I'm interested to see Hawkins-Anderson, as well.

If LJ wins the spring QB battle, I wonder if we might see some trips sets with a real WR in the slot rather than an AB?

Fun convo to have (minus the constant negativity)

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Funny how the last few years we raved about the potential this offense had with Camp because of how much more athletically gifted he was compared to Jeune and Stewart and now he’s too slow and we’re raving about the athleticism of these younger receivers now.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Especially when we have one of them cover the fastest receiver on the other team.

To my earlier point, just a good example of an offense scheming matchups in their passing game to take advantage of a defender they knew they could abuse.

Defenses can only line up and play us a limited number of ways due to balanced formation of the Flex. In a sense, we can dictate matchups easier than other offenses. Yet, outside of smoke routes or the occassional back shoulder throw (which we haven't done since JeT graduated), how often do we try to isolate say Jalen Camp or Brad Stewart by motioning them into the slot and taking them into a matchup with a LB or a safety? Camp and Stewart are not fast when compared to the corners in the ACC, but I'd take them matched up against LBs all day long.

CPJ likes to run option plays all game until the defense shows they can stop us, why not do the same with passing plays? OK, so the opposing DC takes the MLB out of the game to matchup with us scheming a slot receiver/MLB matchup...so he puts a safety or smaller/quicker LB in at MLB to . GREAT! Let's run option straight at him. Instead, we run our staple/antiquated RnS plays with little thought to matchups...it's like banging our heads against the wall.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Trying to stay on topic:

2019 WR situation:
Camp: I can see JC being the reliable Brad Stewart role (great blocking, sure hands)
Carter: Glimpses of playmaking ability, more speed (enough, tho?)

Hawkins-Anderson, Sanders, Dolphus, Jackson, Harris: can one of these bring the playmaking ability (i.e. speed to burn) we need here?

Jaylon Jackson is intriguing (has size of an AB but listed at WR. Remember Anthony Autry (not Myles)? Looked dynamic before leaving).
I'm interested to see Hawkins-Anderson, as well.

If LJ wins the spring QB battle, I wonder if we might see some trips sets with a real WR in the slot rather than an AB?

Fun convo to have (minus the constant negativity)

My memory is fuzzy, but does anyone remember CPJ ever playing anyone in a non-designated role (outside of gimmick/trick plays)?

I've never seen a WR at AB or AB at WR. CPJ doesn't like to "tip" his hand by playing guys out of their normal positions so I don't see us cross training guys...though I think we can help our passing and even our running game a bunch by just playing guys for match up situations.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Funny how the last few years we raved about the potential this offense had with Camp because of how much more athletically gifted he was compared to Jeune and Stewart and now he’s too slow and we’re raving about the athleticism of these younger receivers now.

He is athletic as far as being stupid strong and he is quick enough for his size, but I didn't think anyone thought he was fast. ESPN had his 40 time listed as a 4.8 (I don't believe he's that slow, but he clearly was never a burner). If people thought he was fast they must have been watching someone else play.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Our WRs actually get decent separation, the problem is two fold:

1. Our OL doesn't give our QB time to let the WRs progress in their routes for separation.
2. Our QBs are not very good with anticipation throws, and don't have the accuracy to fit the ball in the windows the defense gives us.

For people who say we should pass more, that's just suicide for our offense. IMO, they're just wasted possessions because of personnel issues, and our schemes are too formulaic and outdated. We just don't game plan match ups and game plan our passing schemes to take advantage of mismatches. Read this, and see how much Ohio State game planned to obliterate Michigan's vaunted defense:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...t-game-plan-to-attack-the-top-ranked-michigan

Absolutely beautiful stuff. How many times are we confusing defenses out of our "tight" formation, or motioning into trips expose LBs? We actually have mesh concepts in our playbook, but I can't remember a time we've advanced our staple mesh play.

IMO, our best matchups will always be the ABs vs the LBs and safeties. We need to attack those matchups more often.

In fact, that is EASILY our best match-up.We try to have 185 lb Abacks BLOCK 230 lb LBs, why don't we take more advantage of the opposite.Let the 230 lb COVER the abacks.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Taking someone that has the potential to be our best defensive player and putting him on our offense seems like a really bad idea. In *any* offense, a safety will have more impact on a game than a single WR.

got to disagree somewhat with you on this.WE NEED a real threat at WR like Smelter.WE have NONE. But we do have a decent safety candidates--Kaleb, Bonds, and new commit from Tenn...