Up and coming receivers

Matt E

GT Athlete
Imo Juanyeh should be converted to WR

At first glance, I wouldn’t disagree. However, our leading WR caught 15 balls this year. Our problems passing are multiple: lack of blocking (would argue we don’t teach appropriate pass set which is a major issue), RBs playing QB (which I hope changes), and lack of ability to get separation. With so much of our passing game being play action and dictated off of the run game, problems 1 and 2 are the most glaring issues. If Juanyeh can be an All-ACC type safety, he should stay there. His talents will be much better utilized. My hope is Lucas or Graham wins the QB completion next year and maybe Oliver moves out to WR.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Imo Juanyeh should be converted to WR

I actually agree with this.

I also think if you keep Juanyeh on defense, you move him to LB. He's got frame and athleticism to be a great OLB. Another guy I think could be a better LB than DB is Tariq Carpenter. Carpenter is freakin destroyer, but he doesn't have the range at S for today's game. He'd be a great replacement for Jalen Johnson's hybrid DB/LB role.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

I also think if you keep Juanyeh on defense, you move him to LB. He's got frame and athleticism to be a great OLB. Another guy I think could be a better LB than DB is Tariq Carpenter. Carpenter is freakin destroyer, but he doesn't have the range at S for today's game. He'd be a great replacement for Jalen Johnson's hybrid DB/LB role.

I don’t think there is much differed in the safety positions and the rover. They all kind of interchangeable. From this year there wasn’t much of a difference in the safety rover or stinger spots.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think WR is probably the most up for grabs spot on the offense. I watched Dolphus’ film, and he seems like he can get some separation. I also like the idea of Oliver in the rotation.

I have no idea how the QB battle will play out, but that will influence who we put out at WR. I think CPJ figured out that we couldn’t pass in a game and just committed to running it more than even he wanted. Remember CPJ being disappointed with our passing after Alcorn?

If we have someone that can sling it, you will see more of a speedy slot guy lined up instead of 2 ABs. If we don’t have anyone that can sling it there will be two WRs in the tight formation a lot.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Our WRs actually get decent separation, the problem is two fold:

1. Our OL doesn't give our QB time to let the WRs progress in their routes for separation.
2. Our QBs are not very good with anticipation throws, and don't have the accuracy to fit the ball in the windows the defense gives us.

For people who say we should pass more, that's just suicide for our offense. IMO, they're just wasted possessions because of personnel issues, and our schemes are too formulaic and outdated. We just don't game plan match ups and game plan our passing schemes to take advantage of mismatches. Read this, and see how much Ohio State game planned to obliterate Michigan's vaunted defense:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...t-game-plan-to-attack-the-top-ranked-michigan

Absolutely beautiful stuff. How many times are we confusing defenses out of our "tight" formation, or motioning into trips expose LBs? We actually have mesh concepts in our playbook, but I can't remember a time we've advanced our staple mesh play.

IMO, our best matchups will always be the ABs vs the LBs and safeties. We need to attack those matchups more often.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Malachi Carter is my guess. Limited sample size, but he seems to get more separation than Camp.

The WRs these past two years have had to get by with very limited chances at deep balls, given that neither TO or TM has much arm strength. Nesbitt was less accurate than TM but could chunk it downfield and give Bebe a chance. None of our guys are Bebe at the moment, but I think they’re good enough to win some of those one on one battles. The thing is we have to get them on the battlefield.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
At first glance, I wouldn’t disagree. However, our leading WR caught 15 balls this year. Our problems passing are multiple: lack of blocking (would argue we don’t teach appropriate pass set which is a major issue), RBs playing QB (which I hope changes), and lack of ability to get separation. With so much of our passing game being play action and dictated off of the run game, problems 1 and 2 are the most glaring issues. If Juanyeh can be an All-ACC type safety, he should stay there. His talents will be much better utilized. My hope is Lucas or Graham wins the QB completion next year and maybe Oliver moves out to WR.

Matt our pass sets suck. Ok. Stink. U cant passpro like this today. U just cant. DE and defenses way too athletic. Our guys cant even get out their stances. Then u add in the wide splits. Its a double negative.

I know u wish u could blitz this tech. U could line up in 50 or 30 tech like everyone does and kill it. All Acc. Lol

Matt E

GT Athlete
Matt our pass sets suck. Ok. Stink. U cant passpro like this today. U just cant. DE and defenses way too athletic. Our guys cant even get out their stances. Then u add in the wide splits. Its a double negative.

I know u wish u could blitz this tech. U could line up in 50 or 30 tech like everyone does and kill it. All Acc. Lol
Lol. Well you and I are in 100% agreement, you were justtttt a bit more direct:) This is why if we switch OL coaches, its pointless unless we go outside of the PJ and service academy tree. We need some new perspective with this position group. Changing messengers without changing technique is a waste of time and energy. I know this is a WR thread, but it all flows together in the passing game

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Juanyeh is going to be special on defense. We need playmakers there, desperately. The receivers we have are up to the task if we have someone to get the ball to them.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Agree about Carpenter. Disagree about Juanye who I don’t think has the frame to grow into a LB. Players have proven me wrong though so maybe.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Our WRs actually get decent separation, the problem is two fold:

1. Our OL doesn't give our QB time to let the WRs progress in their routes for separation.
2. Our QBs are not very good with anticipation throws, and don't have the accuracy to fit the ball in the windows the defense gives us.

For people who say we should pass more, that's just suicide for our offense. IMO, they're just wasted possessions because of personnel issues, and our schemes are too formulaic and outdated. We just don't game plan match ups and game plan our passing schemes to take advantage of mismatches. Read this, and see how much Ohio State game planned to obliterate Michigan's vaunted defense:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...t-game-plan-to-attack-the-top-ranked-michigan

Absolutely beautiful stuff. How many times are we confusing defenses out of our "tight" formation, or motioning into trips expose LBs? We actually have mesh concepts in our playbook, but I can't remember a time we've advanced our staple mesh play.

IMO, our best matchups will always be the ABs vs the LBs and safeties. We need to attack those matchups more often.

I think any unbiased observer fairly recognizes the limitations in the offense. Only on this message board do you find these ridiculous CPJ holy loyalist.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
The reason I suggest the move is the obvious he is explosive and a playmaker with the ball in his hands. However, we appear to be stockpiling DBs and hybrids in the like. But WR depth could use a boost and we need a legitimate threat at that position to make opposing DBs respect the pass. Again this is just my opinion from looking on.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Big aback.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I was actually having that conversation with someone today. If we get any more cut blocking rule changes we will have to use bigger ABs.

It would really be more or less a run & shoot look. Which is the antiquated offense the flexbone is partially based on.