UNC Game Thread

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Yikes...what a horrible display of basketball..and on senior night at your home court. What must MBOB be thinking when he looks up at the stands and see's a healthy amount of baby blue...

If Gregory is our coach next year, there will be very few people around to watch him

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, of all the coaches we have fired in my lifetime, I am going to hate this firing more than any.

Take tonight for instance. MGH gets hurt. Bolden suspended when, in our position, a lot of coaches would have ignored it. Q is sick or hurt. But I have never heard CBG make excuses. He has always conducted himself with class. He has improved the academic performance. HE IS FREAKING UNDEAFEATED VS uga.

But it is what it is.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I've been a lifelong GT bball fan and I had no idea we were playing tonite. For the UNC game no less. By the time I tuned in we were already down big. We're just not playing at the same level as even mediocre teams. We're better than this.

scotts

Jolly Good Fellow
I will not renew my season tickets if CBG is back as our coach. He is out of his league in the ACC. The last 2 home games there were more Louisville and UNC fans than Tech supporters. Very sad. Besides losing by 32 points at home tonight, what bothered me even more was that he waited until 1:42 left in the game before he put in senior Aaron Peek. I think that is in poor taste.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I think maybe a coach better than CBG could also beat UGA? Who cares about one game when you are awful the other 25?

Did not say another coach could not, but life is a whole crapload better when we beat uga, and anyone saying otherwise is not really a GT fan. I care about that one game a whole freaking lot and it determines how much $ I give GT. It was the only way I could ever get their attention.

I don't give a **** about the states of n.c., or n.y., or va. Screw them.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Did not say another coach could not, but life is a whole crapload better when we beat uga, and anyone saying otherwise is not really a GT fan. I care about that one game a whole freaking lot and it determines how much $ I give GT. It was the only way I could ever get their attention.

I don't give a **** about the states of n.c., or n.y., or va. Screw them.
Random vitriol towards other states. I guess I know who's not getting the invite to the ACC tourney in Brooklyn.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm not making a new thread for this, but WTF is happening in Athens right now? Is UK throwing this game?

62-60 UGA with 4:22 left.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly, of all the coaches we have fired in my lifetime, I am going to hate this firing more than any.

Take tonight for instance. MGH gets hurt. Bolden suspended when, in our position, a lot of coaches would have ignored it. Q is sick or hurt. But I have never heard CBG make excuses. He has always conducted himself with class. He has improved the academic performance. HE IS FREAKING UNDEAFEATED VS uga.

But it is what it is.
Or it could just be that with the results he has had, being humble and meek in post games are really his only options.

Even if he was gonna throw players under the bus, what could he say?
"The players I recruited in my 4th year play worse than the players I inherited from a program that was obviously gonna fire its coach in my first year?"

I am not saying that this is true, but am pointing out that CBG's performance has been so poor, with so much support (even with a 4 yr stretch with less ACC wins than Hewitt's worst 4 years combined fans are still saying they feel bad for him) there really is no one left to blame.

The only excuse he could have made was bad luck, pointing to all the close games, but when you are something like 0-10 in close games in the season, it's hard to call it luck.

I haven't really been very negative towards CBG but I thought th treatment of Peek was extremely classless, and maybe I am overreacting and he had the best of intent, but I thought that lost him any modicum of support I may have given him.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
not that it matters one iota but.... did anybody watch the last 7 minutes of the uga uk game? the way uga played at the end looked eerily similar to another team we all love. they had gt-itis

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just because I find this particular snub truly galling, here were BG's pre-game quotes about Aaron Peek, who he didn't deem fit to give 2 minutes on Senior Night to start the game.

Peek’s minutes have been scant – he has played a total of 13 games and 25 minutes in four seasons – but has contributed to the Jackets by playing on the “Iron Five” scout team. A graduate of Mays High, he was actually invited to try out after he had enrolled in school after Gregory got word through a colleague that Peek might be able to help. Gregory called him a “tremendous asset” to the team. Gregory said he wouldn’t be surprised if Peek, a public policy major, eventually became mayor of Atlanta.

“I know one thing,” Gregory said. “Whatever he does, he’ll be a great husband, great father and he’s going to make an impact.”

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/03/03/different-kind-of-senior-night-for-tech/

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
3-15. Is this the worst conference record we have had since joining the ACC? I know 08-09 we were 2-14 but that team would run this one out of the gym! We are on the edge of becoming irrelevant in basketball. Since 1994-95 we have had 2 seasons we finished above 500 in ACC play. 2! 95-96 and 03-04. That's it!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think it was wrong that Aaron Peek did not play last night. I know I have missed a senior night or two in the past, but it seems we have had a tradition of starting guys like Peek and letting them play a few minutes in front of their families and friends. I can understand not giving him a lot of minutes if the game has significance for our post-season play, but that was clearly not it last night. Maybe CBG and Peek talked about this before the game and Peek is OK with what happened. But, I am sure I am not the only person puzzled by it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Wait, we had a senior that didn't get time on senior night?

Sorry for the dumb question but I totally missed the start of the game.