UNC 2024 Post Game

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
@yeti92 - now you're arguing with yourself too. If you want CPJ back - he ain't coming. If you think Key was the shadow head coach under the last guy, well, can't help you there either.
No I'm not. I've never suggested CPJ was coming back. I've also never suggested Key was the "shadow head coach", but he was AHC and OL coach under TFG. He wasn't walking into an unknown situation when he got offered the HBC job.

in case you hadn't realized it, we scored more points than the other guys last saturday.
brilliant analysis.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Right? That's only like a 15 minute drive for the average uga football player.

How I Met Your Mother Sitcom GIF by Laff

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe by you. Dabo was not a particularly impressive coach when he had equal or only slightly better talent. Kirby has only ever had top talent, and he still put together only a 7 win regular season his first year. Harbaugh got caught cheating.

Sure, if you completely ignore the offensive switch and how nobody on that team knew how to run the offense at all when Johnson showed up and how we had a completely slapped together offensive line. Whereas Key's offensive line is made up of guys all picked by... Key! In regards to SOS, according to teamrankings.com our SOS is currently #51. Just going back to the last CPJ year, 2018, SOS was #28.

There is some irony to me in your statement about finding misery in success, because some of the people who have sided with you this time around were the same ones complaining about our OL performance after every game earlier this season while I defended their performance.

I do find personal entertainment in breaking things down and knowing howand why they work at a deeper level, and then making them work as best as they possibly can. Obviously that can't be said for the whole fanbase. I like to strive for perfection, but plenty are happy with just being a little above average.

Are you suggesting we should never throw in the redzone then because it might be contested? We have several receiving TDs in the redzone this season by the way.
Not by me, by a lot of people. Maybe you just think less of those people because they don't fit what you want as a coach. Saban's first year he only managed 7 wins with a talented Alabama team. Harbaugh did what most coaches in the country do, he only got caught.

It's easier to completely switch an offense when you have NFL talent and a full off season to do so. Johnson had Dwyer, Nesbitt, and Thomas to lean on and win games with. Not a lot of NFL talent was on the team in 2023. For SOS, we haven't played the 3 best teams on the schedule yet, hence why the SOS is not as good as the SOS in 2018 which included all 13 opponents.

I disagreed agreed with those people as well. The offense line has done a very good job given what they have been asked to do. Even against Syracuse and Louisville, the OL played pretty well and is still the strongest unit on the team.

I applaud you for striving for perfection, it's a good trait to have. But you're not striving for perfection but criticizing the teams lack of it on here. Nor are you gaining any understanding by questioning the coaching staff on here. Gaining a better understanding would be asking questions of why things were or were not working or doing more research into the schemes that Tech runs, not claiming that the staff is being outcoached and questioning if Key is up to task. If you were directly engaging with the team, then every criticism that you have about the game would not only be valid, but it would be necessary.

No I am not suggesting that. What I am suggesting is not throwing the football in a contested area when the other team is highly aware that Tech is looking to throw the ball. The passing TDs that Tech has scored in the RZ have all come in instances where Tech could run or pass the ball to get the score, which doesn't allow the defense to adequately defend the pass. The situation against UNC, the only option was to throw the ball and the defense knew it. If Tech had a more developed RZ passing game, maybe it would have been possible, but at this stage I have yet to see it. And Tech has 4 passing TDs in the RZ this year which puts them near the bottom of FBS in that category, only 2 more than Army or Navy.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Not by me, by a lot of people. Maybe you just think less of those people because they don't fit what you want as a coach. Saban's first year he only managed 7 wins with a talented Alabama team. Harbaugh did what most coaches in the country do, he only got caught.

It's easier to completely switch an offense when you have NFL talent and a full off season to do so. Johnson had Dwyer, Nesbitt, and Thomas to lean on and win games with. Not a lot of NFL talent was on the team in 2023. For SOS, we haven't played the 3 best teams on the schedule yet, hence why the SOS is not as good as the SOS in 2018 which included all 13 opponents.

I disagreed agreed with those people as well. The offense line has done a very good job given what they have been asked to do. Even against Syracuse and Louisville, the OL played pretty well and is still the strongest unit on the team.

I applaud you for striving for perfection, it's a good trait to have. But you're not striving for perfection but criticizing the teams lack of it on here. Nor are you gaining any understanding by questioning the coaching staff on here. Gaining a better understanding would be asking questions of why things were or were not working or doing more research into the schemes that Tech runs, not claiming that the staff is being outcoached and questioning if Key is up to task. If you were directly engaging with the team, then every criticism that you have about the game would not only be valid, but it would be necessary.

No I am not suggesting that. What I am suggesting is not throwing the football in a contested area when the other team is highly aware that Tech is looking to throw the ball. The passing TDs that Tech has scored in the RZ have all come in instances where Tech could run or pass the ball to get the score, which doesn't allow the defense to adequately defend the pass. The situation against UNC, the only option was to throw the ball and the defense knew it. If Tech had a more developed RZ passing game, maybe it would have been possible, but at this stage I have yet to see it. And Tech has 4 passing TDs in the RZ this year which puts them near the bottom of FBS in that category, only 2 more than Army or Navy.
We also have one of the best red zone TD percentages in the country. Why bother passing the ball in the red zone if you don't have to. The goal is to score TD's when you get to the red zone. We do that better than most teams do so why bother throwing the ball in that area if you don't have to. Maybe we could get more red zone chances if we threw the ball downfield more prior to reaching the red zone. But once we get there we are doing pretty well so why change it up?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
A lot of people also thought TFG would be a great coach. A lot of people are dumb.

Go look at Alabama's commitment list on Rivals from pre Saban. There are a few 4 stars each year, but mostly 2 and 3 star players.

It's easier to completely switch an offense when you have NFL talent and a full off season to do so. Johnson had Dwyer, Nesbitt, and Thomas to lean on and win games with. Not a lot of NFL talent was on the team in 2023.
You've said this already. "A lot of people" disagreed with you, as Tech was predicted to win only 2 or 3 games that season because the transition would be so difficult.

For SOS, we haven't played the 3 best teams on the schedule yet, hence why the SOS is not as good as the SOS in 2018 which included all 13 opponents.
Not how SoS works.

Accidentally erased the next section, but I'll just say criticism is necessary for improvement.

No I am not suggesting that. What I am suggesting is not throwing the football in a contested area when the other team is highly aware that Tech is looking to throw the ball.
Hmm, and maybe we shouldn't run QB sneak when the defense is highly aware that Tech is looking to run QB sneak. What a novel concept!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Some not-love for Geoff Collins

Geoff Collins (32), North Carolina Tar Heels defensive coordinator. Relationship status: Hate. Everything fell apart against James Madison on Sept. 21, and it has not yet been put back together again. The Heels have lost four straight, surrendering an average of 41.5 points in those games.

Collins’s unit surrendered quick-strike scoring drives in the last minute of both the second and fourth quarters in losing to Georgia Tech on Saturday. It gave up two long, fourth-quarter drives in the loss to Pitt. It gave up a 20–0 second-half lead to Duke. And it gave up just about everything James Madison could desire in starting this slide.

The larger question is Mack Brown’s status as head coach. But Collins is doing his boss no favors.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Some not-love for Geoff Collins

Geoff Collins (32), North Carolina Tar Heels defensive coordinator. Relationship status: Hate. Everything fell apart against James Madison on Sept. 21, and it has not yet been put back together again. The Heels have lost four straight, surrendering an average of 41.5 points in those games.

Collins’s unit surrendered quick-strike scoring drives in the last minute of both the second and fourth quarters in losing to Georgia Tech on Saturday. It gave up two long, fourth-quarter drives in the loss to Pitt. It gave up a 20–0 second-half lead to Duke. And it gave up just about everything James Madison could desire in starting this slide.

The larger question is Mack Brown’s status as head coach. But Collins is doing his boss no favors.
I guess we could feel a lack of sympathy for Brown for hiring Collins but it’s sad to me that this is the way it has to end for Brown. Again, there are very few programs I would want to inflict Collins on.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Mack Brown and how he handled the kid who just passed away is class all the way. Hiring Collins was…not smart.
What is that famous quote about the hardest thing to do, once someone has been conned, is to convince them that they’ve been conned? Human nature doesn’t like to admit you’ve been made a fool and you will exhaust every excuse or alibi as long as possible.

You would think by now everyone would be on to Collins but the commentary by the announcers Saturday showed that plenty of people in coaching and in the media are still carrying water for Collins. Brown apparently heard positive things about Collins from people he trusted and then all it took was the interview, and nobody does an interview better than a con.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yes I think its obvious Mack is a good guy, I think the game has just passed him by. Not sure why he's still Coaching, but hiring Collins was definitely a senior moment.
I think it was critical that we beat TFG in this opportunity as it was probably our only shot. His next coaching gigs will be at places that play games on Friday nights and ride yellow buses to away games or the colleges where the only people in the stands are related to the players plus the 20 or so in the marching band. The ones who are the annual homecoming opponents for schools like Berry, SCAD and Agnes Scott.

slugboy

Staff member
Yes I think its obvious Mack is a good guy, I think the game has just passed him by. Not sure why he's still Coaching, but hiring Collins was definitely a senior moment.
UNC’s defense isn’t much worse than it was under previous coordinators, and they were big name senior coordinators.

But, they’re not better either.

Brown has hired young innovative coaches and older experienced hands. All have had the same dismal results.

Still, TFG was hired to fix things, and there’s no sign he’s done it. Seven games into the season is too late for an old hand to figure out that they have problems. He’s senior enough to tell Brown what needs to change. He either doesn’t know, or he’s incapable of explaining it convincingly

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
UNC’s defense isn’t much worse than it was under previous coordinators, and they were big name senior coordinators.

But, they’re not better either.

Brown has hired young innovative coaches and older experienced hands. All have had the same dismal results.

Still, TFG was hired to fix things, and there’s no sign he’s done it. Seven games into the season is too late for an old hand to figure out that they have problems. He’s senior enough to tell Brown what needs to change. He either doesn’t know, or he’s incapable of explaining it convincingly
This is similar to us under CPJ...no matter who was our DC, we were pretty much the same on that side of the ball. When you see this, it's indicative of systemic issues. In our case, it appears to have been budget/lack of support from the top. Would love to know what the root cause issues are over there.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I guess we could feel a lack of sympathy for Brown for hiring Collins but it’s sad to me that this is the way it has to end for Brown. Again, there are very few programs I would want to inflict Collins on.
It’s a real problem in our nation right now. More and more of these fraudsters are targeting the elderly. These are our fathers and grandfathers, folks! These scammers scare our elders into believing there is a problem in their system and use that fear to gain trust so they can exploit the system from the inside, destroy livelihoods, and enrich themselves all the while.
It’s despicable.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It’s a real problem in our nation right now. More and more of these fraudsters are targeting the elderly. These are our fathers and grandfathers, folks! These scammers scare our elders into believing there is a problem in their system and use that fear to gain trust so they can exploit the system from the inside, destroy livelihoods, and enrich themselves all the while.
It’s despicable.
Well, given the demographics on this site, perhaps it’s understandable why Collins has some many defenders here. 😊

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of people also thought TFG would be a great coach. A lot of people are dumb.

Go look at Alabama's commitment list on Rivals from pre Saban. There are a few 4 stars each year, but mostly 2 and 3 star players.

You've said this already. "A lot of people" disagreed with you, as Tech was predicted to win only 2 or 3 games that season because the transition would be so difficult.

Not how SoS works.

Accidentally erased the next section, but I'll just say criticism is necessary for improvement.

Hmm, and maybe we shouldn't run QB sneak when the defense is highly aware that Tech is looking to run QB sneak. What a novel concept!
Or they are just wrong. You can be smart and wrong. Trust me I've seen it a lot on here.

I did. Alabama had the number 11 recruiting class in 2006 and number 18 class in 2005. Wasn't the talent that they had with Saban, but still a roster that shouldn't be going 7-6 and losing to Louisiana Monroe.

Ive said it already and I am still right. The 2008 ACC media polls had Tech finishing 4th in the Coastal which equates to about 6-7 wins and a bowl birth. Not the 2 or 3 games you claim.

You're right about SOS. Is a reflection of the records of the teams you play, but given that it's on 7 games into the season, the SOS can and most likely will get tougher. In 2017, Tech's SOS moved from 50 to 27 over the course of a week. There will be a lot of shifting this season as well.

Criticism is necessary for improvement if the criticism is being heard and coming from someone with the power to influence improvement.

Or maybe, just maybe, the play caller has faith to lean on the offensive line that has been paving the way for the ACC's leading rushing attack. It's better to go with a strength even if everyone knows that's what you're gonna do, then something you're not great at that everyone knows you're gonna do. Hmm a novel concept!

Im gonna go ahead and end this discussion because it doesn't seem like either person will budge on their viewpoints and I feel like we are taking up a lot of space on this thread going back and forth. I hope people here can find a bit more joy in watching Tech win games and I hope Tech wins a lot of them.

Last edited: