UNC 2024 Post Game

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
To be fair, the coaches were playing for OT. Haynes made a big play that no one remotely expected. If the game went the way Key was planning we probably lose.
Playing for OT means throwing it on first, then hurrying up to call a play to get a first down? You're right about Haynes making an unexpected play, but the call was to get a first which would stop the clock and then probably take a shot.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
People like you are why I'm done with GT sports. It would be different if I lived in the Atlanta area but I don't. So this website and chat are my lifeline to GT football. The game chat is toxic so I gave that up last year. I don't have friends locally who are into GT sports so I always depended on this site and chat room to hang out with my tribe. It's not my tribe. I didn't even watch the game today. Glad we won, but god it's hard to be a GT fane because we have such ******* alumni. Peace.

Oh, please.

If we’re too toxic, good luck enjoying any sports. Our fanbase is too tame, if anything. We bring up academics when we’re down by thirty. Half the season ticket holders don’t even stand on 3rd down. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
This is the best start Tech has had to a season since 2014 and people here are acting like the team needs to be put in front of a firing squad.
I hear you, but it definitely feels different. This team is fragile and is coming off its best two wins against two teams that will either squeak into a bowl game or miss the post season. The way the staff is calling games is puzzling. Sure, maybe the offensive game plan is hindered by a King injury - but we opened the game playing the best defense I’ve seen in years and then took our foot off the gas and went super conservative for the majority of the second half. They’re making the mistakes countless make that lead to losses in toss up games or even games you should easily win. Fear of losing creates losses. They need to learn how to step on the opponents throat and leave no doubt who should win games.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I hear you, but it definitely feels different. This team is fragile and is coming off its best two wins against two teams that will either squeak into a bowl game or miss the post season. The way the staff is calling games is puzzling. Sure, maybe the offensive game plan is hindered by a King injury - but we opened the game playing the best defense I’ve seen in years and then took our foot off the gas and went super conservative for the majority of the second half. They’re making the mistakes countless make that lead to losses in toss up games or even games you should easily win. Fear of losing creates losses. They need to learn how to step on the opponents throat and leave no doubt who should win games.
Fragile? They played a mistake filled game and yet fought through to a gutsy win. That’s not fragile in my book, but whatever.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Playing for OT means throwing it on first, then hurrying up to call a play to get a first down? You're right about Haynes making an unexpected play, but the call was to get a first which would stop the clock and then probably take a shot.
Watch it again. We throw the ball and then half assed our way to the LOS before running a play. We were deep in our own territory running the ball on 2nd and 3 with 16 seconds left in the game. That’s playing for OT dude. The entire plan was to see if Haynes could just bust a run. If not we try to win in OT.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I would never want a new fan or potential new fan to observe the chat. It is the most negative experience I've ever had as a Tech fan. I have to minimize it and ignore most of the content. I usually post blindly, not reading the chatter from others (most times).

I used to have it up while watching a game, thinking could be things to discuss with other fans. However, there really isn't, so I quit. The chicken little crowd that inhabits the chat, saying things constantly that would get them banned in the forums, is really bad. Just isn't worth it.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
People like you are why I'm done with GT sports. It would be different if I lived in the Atlanta area but I don't. So this website and chat are my lifeline to GT football. The game chat is toxic so I gave that up last year. I don't have friends locally who are into GT sports so I always depended on this site and chat room to hang out with my tribe. It's not my tribe. I didn't even watch the game today. Glad we won, but god it's hard to be a GT fane because we have such ******* alumni. Peace.
Why are you making the choice to give the fellowship of the miserable more of your attention than the people who are more appreciative of the good than down on the bad? Scroll past their posts or even hit ignore. Don’t give them the power to ruin your enjoyment of GT sports.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
You may be remembering the late field goal in the rain against VPI to win 6-3. I was in California for my grandfather's funeral for the UNC game. That was the only game I missed all season, including the Citrus Bowl.

I was there for the VPI game too. Only one I didn't go to that year was UVA.

That VPI game was miserable cold. For whatever reason, my sister didn't bring a coat, so I gave her mine and froze to death.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Our 5-2 record in 2014 looked about as sloppy, yes, but we also were helmed by a future HoFer who had already won a conference championship with us. We knew what we had, for better or worse. Right now, we have a young coach who’s only in his second full season, so every questionable decision and every sloppy moment(there have been plenty of both) makes us wonder if these are growing pains or if this is who we have for the long term. I do believe that psychologically makes a difference in some fan’s reactions. It was easier to just take the wins at face value in 2014, and keep in mind, there were plenty of upset people at 5-2 with losses to Duke and UNC and a close win against GASO

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
That's just college football. Very few teams dominate. The important thing is having the mental toughness to win the game and we've done that in several games. Unfortunately not in 2 of them but we're way better than we were.
This. College football games are like waves in a swimming pool. Everything looks all smooth and ordered during adult swim, and then some kid does a cannonball off the high dive and 63 kids dive into the pool when the whistle blows and it’s chaos. And then in an hour it’s adult swim again and you think everything is smooth and ordered.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
and ER10 is hard to find nowadays unless you want to spend twice what it's worth.

Sorry to thread jack for a moment, but yeah, it is. I stumbled into some at a store recently and bought a few bottles. You can get it at the Buffalo Trace Distillery gift shop sometimes, for MSRP ( I think something like $40). They rotate the premium stuff there. I went there a month ago, and they had Blanton's. Only 1 bottle each, so the wife and I each got one.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Our 5-2 record in 2014 looked about as sloppy, yes, but we also were helmed by a future HoFer who had already won a conference championship with us. We knew what we had, for better or worse. Right now, we have a young coach who’s only in his second full season, so every questionable decision and every sloppy moment(there have been plenty of both) makes us wonder if these are growing pains or if this is who we have for the long term. I do believe that psychologically makes a difference in some fan’s reactions.
Probably so, but CPJ was taking incoming fire until the Clemhole win. Then we turned around and beat UGAg.

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
Watch it again. We throw the ball and then half assed our way to the LOS before running a play. We were deep in our own territory running the ball on 2nd and 3 with 16 seconds left in the game. That’s playing for OT dude. The entire plan was to see if Haynes could just bust a run. If not we try to win in OT.
If they were playing for OT then they kneel the ball after the kick. As someone already say, Key stated that they wanted to get the ball into range for a game winning kick.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
You might want to rethink that, there were 3 UNC defenders within a couple feet of him. But, It appeared all 3 defenders thought Tech was killing the clock too.
Watching the replay of three 300 pound players doing absolutely nothing to stop Haynes is pretty hilarious and typical of a Collin’s defens!

you're high. they were blocked, and he ran right past them.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Well then, that’s bad on CBK. Glad his OL didn’t get the memo. They blew a big hole in that DL. Maybe CBK will learn from this. Good on the Jackets for not quitting!!!
Oh come on that’s not what he meant 😁. You know they don’t call plays in a vacuum. They call them, especially in end of game situations, in ways that they feel set the defense up. It wasn’t that they were calling a running play to just get a few yards. They called a play they thought would help us get into scoring position and it worked even better than they hoped :cool:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
If they were playing for OT then they kneel the ball after the kick. As someone already say, Key stated that they wanted to get the ball into range for a game winning kick.
The OL on that play is all over the second level sealing off the running lane. They did a fabulous job and JH blew through the hole and took it to the house. Game!

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Oh come on that’s not what he meant 😁. You know they don’t call plays in a vacuum. They call them, especially in end of game situations, in ways that they feel set the defense up. It wasn’t that they were calling a running play to just get a few yards. They called a play they thought would help us get into scoring position and it worked even better than they hoped :cool:
I agree with this. It may be the best blocked play all game for our OL.