UGA preparation

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It doesn’t matter if it’s true. Forget about the recruits for a minute. The best leaders instill confidence in those that follow them. It’s one of the things Bobby Dodd was best known for. His players always believed they could beat anyone they took the field against. It sounds silly, but that sort of stuff does actually make a difference...and not only in sports, but in the professional world as well.

How do you set goals with your team to win the division and get to the conference championship, but then come out publicly and say, “we’ve historically only ever won about six games, so why does everyone expect anything different?” That’s crazy man...true or not you just can’t say that sort of stuff publicly. Talk to the AD, president, administration, whoever, but good groef don’t let your team hear that sort of crap.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I feel GTAA needs to wake up and start doing some marketing. If you sit around and wait for people to send donations in then good luck. I give to the Tech fund and the AT fund but have never seen a coordinated marketing effort to raise money for the causes above. A student calls each year and leaves a thank you message from the swim team or some team I never even knew we had...kinda seems like there is lil interest in the football team other than us here on the board.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I'm just going to add one little thing. When Paul trotted out the staff thing last time, it was 2013. After he did that we did in fact get 4 more ( up from 0) staff to be hired for recruiting including Hamilton. It is entirely possible that Tstan told him to be as candid as possible with regards to staffing to try to have two voices saying the same thing, one of them being public.

And after that spill name me a coach that would come to Tech. Reading through this thread it sounds like CPJ is telling us the fans accept mediocrity or go elsewhere. That is why I said our alumni need to hold some feet to the fire that’s the only way anything will change. I’ll be cheering and waiting I guess.

Scubapro

Banned
Everyone seems to forget the real purpose of college athletics and thats to drive applications and alumni donations. Tech has ZERO problem with applications They have a line a mile long of top notch students wishing to get accepted. We also have several large grants for the school So what does this mean? The school doesnt have any incentive to excel in sports

stech81

Helluva Engineer
And after that spill name me a coach that would come to Tech. Reading through this thread it sounds like CPJ is telling us the fans accept mediocrity or go elsewhere. That is why I said our alumni need to hold some feet to the fire that’s the only way anything will change. I’ll be cheering and waiting I guess.
That is the problem, with the rules the coach has to live by no good coach would come to Tech. You may luck up and get a young up coming coach but he would only stay till someone else called. Or you may be able to find an old washed up coach. CPJ loves Tech and the Players and only wants what is better for them. I remember when he come to Tech people liked the way he told it like it was, did not sugar coat things. I really think the new AD understands him and will try, hope someone will listen to both of them or.................

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok...back to UGA prep please. Tired of the same tired "we are systematically disadvantaged" talk.

Heard this morning that UGA is not practicing contact cut blocking this week. They are using bags and diving at ankles not contacting defenders. Linebackers are doing lateral drills. Seems interesting. Looks like they are bubble wrapping their guys for the SECCG.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Ok...back to UGA prep please. Tired of the same tired "we are systematically disadvantaged" talk.

Heard this morning that UGA is not practicing contact cut blocking this week. They are using bags and diving at ankles not contacting defenders. Linebackers are doing lateral drills. Seems interesting. Looks like they are bubble wrapping their guys for the SECCG.
Perfect! Time to ruin their season

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
So far everything CPJ has said is true, historically yes Tech has always averaged 6-7 wins with the occasional big season. CPJ is just as frustrated as we are. Personally, I think CPJ is right though, and he may be blunt about it (pretty normal for him) things do need to be fixed at Tech. He is handicapped at Tech and only can do so much.
The problem that I see now, is how do we move forward. CPJ can fix things within his coaching limits, budget etc. Or does Tech need to change things outside of what CPJ can do?

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Lets hope they are looking forward to their game with Alabama .

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So far everything CPJ has said is true, historically yes Tech has always averaged 6-7 wins with the occasional big season. CPJ is just as frustrated as we are. Personally, I think CPJ is right though, and he may be blunt about it (pretty normal for him) things do need to be fixed at Tech. He is handicapped at Tech and only can do so much.
The problem that I see now, is how do we move forward. CPJ can fix things within his coaching limits, budget etc. Or does Tech need to change things outside of what CPJ can do?

I wonder then if GT misrepresented itself during the hiring process or was not entirely forthcoming. Or did CPJ perhaps assume, like most of us with extremely large egos, that he could overcome the obstacles on his own through force of will? Seems like that the coaching fraternity is rather small and there are tons of guys who have passed through the coaching ranks here that any coach looking to come here could do the appropriate due diligence and walk into this situation with eyes wide open. I also would like to hear from CPJ how the challenges here differ from those of the USNA (aside from schedule of course).

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Realistically, in order to overcome the hurdles inherent with being a STEM school trying to play big boy football, the only one might I add, we should be at the top of the conference in recruiting staff. Instead, we're at the bottom. It really underscores the lack of commitment from the top. We have one hand tied behind our back because of who we are as an Institute, we voluntarily tie the other one behind our back with lack of commitment. Coach can live with the first, it's what he signed up for, but he shouldn't have to live with the second.

I can see CPJ's frustration and I don't mind one bit him airing it out in public. I'm sure he's tried behind closed doors til he's blue in the face.