UGA preparation

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
So first of all, I didn’t listen, so I’m just going on what you guys have said...

Now...I’ve always supported the guy, but I’ll play devil’s advocate here, since he’s begging the question. If we’ve historically averaged six wins, and that’s what we should expect, then why the hell do we need him? Couldn’t we get someone less expensive and accomplish the same thing and use that money elsewhere?

It’s kind of a pathetic excuse. Our locker rooms and fundraising didn’t give a half assed effort on Saturday at Duke and they didn’t fail to make adjustments at halftime...If he wants to throw that excuse around when we get boat raced by Clemson, fine...I get it...but not after getting embarrassed by a team that just lost six games in a row.

If it is truly his attitude that we are just doomed to be a six win team because that’s what we’ve always been, then we will never consistently rise above that with him as our coach. How many successful leaders do you guys know that tell their people, “hey, don’t expect to be better than what you’ve always been...just accept it and move on.” Yeah, I don’t know of any either.

The guys is frustrated, and I get it. He’s probably sick of everyone second guessing him and his players left and right, so I’m sure he’s more frustrated than anyone...but he’s sending the wrong message to his players and needs to get away from this narrative.

I did listen to the radio show. CPJ doesn’t want us to be or expect us to be a 6-win team. He was saying that his team was being held to a false standard. In other words, people are stating that we used to be a perennial 9-win team but, on the average, we were only a 6-win team. He’s right. From 1980-2007, GT averaged 6.07 wins per season. From 2008-2016, GT has averaged 7.89 wins per season. His point was only that the “glory days” weren’t as good as people think they remember. He added that if he didn’t think he could win every game that he would quit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I did listen to the radio show. CPJ doesn’t want us to be or expect us to be a 6-win team. He was saying that his team was being held to a false standard. In other words, people are stating that we used to be a perennial 9-win team but, on the average, we were only a 6-win team. He’s right. From 1980-2007, GT averaged 6.07 wins per season. From 2008-2016, GT has averaged 7.89 wins per season. His point was only that the “glory days” weren’t as good as people think they remember. He added that if he didn’t think he could win every game that he would quit.

I finally listened to it this afternoon and I already posted that I took what he said out of context.. His first rant wasn't quite that bad...he got a little more defensive the second time around. The crazy thing is that the caller's question wasn't, "how do you get us to the glory days of 9-10 wins." The question was, how do you get us to win 8-10 games consistently. His answer was that we've never done that at Georgia Tech, so why should we expect to (not a very good answer)...then the second time through he talked about how we don't have the resources, etc.

I wish he would go into what he thinks we need to do to get there rather than just saying we've never done it and can't unless we change our level of commitment.

So next time I'd like him to answer the question that was asked...what do we need to do in his opinion...

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

What a disingenuous comparison:
- We played 11 regular season games 80-2000.
- Johnson has played tons of FCS teams. In two separate years he played two of them. He’s also had at least one cupcake FBS OOC every year.

Compare FBS winning percentage with Gailey and O’Leary.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I would agree but even when he can here looking at the places and teams he coached you could see 4 or 5 years was the most he may stay. But he did have one great bunch of coaches here with him.
The only other comparison you can make is his time at Maryland and the extenuating circumstances there were huge. Ross won a national championship and took a team to the Super Bowl. The man can coach football and run a program. Homer Rice's mistake was not hiring O'Leary or Fridgen after Ross. As great as Tech fans think Rice was, he completely screwed that hire up.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
- Johnson has played tons of FCS teams. In two separate years he played two of them. He’s also had at least one cupcake FBS OOC every year.

90-2000 we also played a lot of cupcakes OOC. Navy, UCF, NMSU, Furman and a bad Baylor were consistently on the schedule. Often times, more than one of those per year.

I'm too lazy to look up more than 10 years.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

So add one to adjust for extra game. 7.89 is still greater than 7.07. Add another for FCS. 8.07 is approximately equal to 7.89. Easy. Not disingenuous. So the “glory days” are approximately what we are living with under CPJ. Go Tech!

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So add one to adjust for extra game. 7.89 is still greater than 7.07. Add another for FCS. 8.07 is approximately equal to 7.89. Easy. Not disingenuous. So the “glory days” are approximately what we are living with under CPJ. Go Tech!

No one is saying the 80s were the glory days. Compare him to the 10 years before him.

jacobchbe

Jolly Good Fellow
Add in that 4 of our games now are usually against top 25 teams and former bottom dwellers like duke have 3 times our recruiting staff.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

I got 7.46 from 1995 - 2007. Are you counting 1994? That wasn't exactly O'Leary.

I agree that there aren't a whole lot of ways you can argue that he's doing a much better job. Equally as good, sure. Better signature wins, for DAMN sure. But let's say he loses to Clemson in the 2009 ACCCG...how is what he's done that much different than the other two? It's not all that significant. It looks different, sure...but to say that he's been far and above better is crazy.

...and before anyone says it, 2014 was awesome. Loved it! We were very good and it was one of the most fun seasons I've ever witnessed...

That was also after the creation of the CFP. One season earlier we would not even have been in the Orange Bowl...#3 FSU would have and we would have been in the Champs Sports Bowl (or Camping World...or whatever you call it). So it's a very similar season to 1998 if you're comparing apples to apples.

So ultimately the guy is saying that he shouldn't be expected to do any better than his predecessors and that all of them have been handcuffed. OK...so what does he want done about it?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Yea Gailey and O'Larey coached at GT when the ACC was at its best. When Duke was going to the ACCCG, Clemson was a national contender every year. I'm being sarcastic of course, you are comparing apples to oranges. when Gailey and O'Leary were the coaches Duke was pretty much a FCS school. CPJ is playing a way harder schedule than those guys.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The only other comparison you can make is his time at Maryland and the extenuating circumstances there were huge. Ross won a national championship and took a team to the Super Bowl. The man can coach football and run a program. Homer Rice's mistake was not hiring O'Leary or Fridgen after Ross. As great as Tech fans think Rice was, he completely screwed that hire up.
You may have took what I said wrong or I did bad trying to said it . Yes He was a very good Coach and every time he moved it was to step up but you could tell he want to try Pro ball.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I think he is frustrated. He knows what needs to be done. Whether the school will invest the time and money, is another question. You can't buy a Cadillac with a Hyundai budget. I can see where the frustration comes from.
Pretty much sums up "that part" of the discussion.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It doesn’t matter if he’s frustrated, arguably the most important aspect of his job is selling the program to recruits.

Can you imagine a sales/marketing guy crapping all over his employer like that to the media and retaining his job?

Wtf is wrong with this guy.

Do you really think he doesn't?