UGA preparation

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
MOST IMPORTANT THING BESIDES A VICTORY AGAINST THE DWAGS:
the student newspaper making fun of uga is available for free. It's by the doors as soon as you walk into the Barnes and Noble book store on campus. I haven't read it yet, but I see coloring exams, so I know it's going to be funny.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
MOST IMPORTANT THING BESIDES A VICTORY AGAINST THE DWAGS:
the student newspaper making fun of uga is available for free. It's by the doors as soon as you walk into the Barnes and Noble book store on campus. I haven't read it yet, but I see coloring exams, so I know it's going to be funny.

You did hear about the fire at the UGA library right?
Destroyed about 5-600 books.

Sad thing is, 3-400 wasn't even colored in yet.................... :)

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Have heard a couple other people say this about O' Leary.
GOL was a smart fball coach.That game vs uga when he went for a FG on THIRD down just because of the chance on a screw-up and he wanted another shot was PURE GENIUS.It worked when Godsey recovered the blocked? kick .Then we kick and win.This was NOT by luck.
Oddly GOl never put out a really good DEF team though.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I did listen to the radio show. CPJ doesn’t want us to be or expect us to be a 6-win team. He was saying that his team was being held to a false standard. In other words, people are stating that we used to be a perennial 9-win team but, on the average, we were only a 6-win team. He’s right. From 1980-2007, GT averaged 6.07 wins per season. From 2008-2016, GT has averaged 7.89 wins per season. His point was only that the “glory days” weren’t as good as people think they remember. He added that if he didn’t think he could win every game that he would quit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The late 1970s and early 1980s were more akin to a dumpster fire than "glory days" Glory days have been few and far between but winning an orange bowl in our second appearance since 1966 is about as glorious as it gets especially against the number 7 team in the nation.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I like to believe our fans, like our players are of a different breed. I want to believe they are more realistic and practical than fans of the factory schools.

But, the more of this "crap" I read tells me we have a fairly large group of "fans" that do not understand our school and the world/society we currently live in.

We can try to catch lighting in a bottle, and we saw it happen in 1990. It happened to some degree a few years back when we beat MSU in the Orange Bowl.

But, to think we can do this year in and year out, with all of the unbelievably difficult challenges to recruiting that the Institute has to offer is really not realistic. Is it o.k. to want more? I think so, but it has to be dampened somewhat by the realization of what we are trying to do - compete at the highest level against football factories when we are a top realm public STEM school Again, other than the military academies, NO other STEM schools even attempt this.

I am a 1985 grad, and when I was at Tech, the only reason most of us went to the games was to throw frisbees at the band at halftime, as the teams were so, so bad. I guess that makes me appreciate what we have had over the past 30 years or so, with BR, GO, and now PJ. I was not a CG fan, although I do believe he was a genuinely good man.

Ultimately, coaches can coach up lesser talent, and I believe that is what our coaches do year in and year out. But, it is very difficult to overcome the talent gap that our team sees against most P5 schools. I will agree that this past Saturday was BAD, bad on the coaches and players. Duke does not have a large talent gap on GT, and so, I am o.k. with blaming PJ and the other coaches to some degree for that one.

I always say that when Bammer loses, you know exactly where to put the blame - sa(t)an. He has more talent and depth than ANYONE else, so when his team loses, he should get most of the blame. When our team wins against a VPI or Clem's Son or UGAG, like last year, PJ and our coaches should get a lion's share of the credit, as they do this by outcoaching the other team. (scheme and coaching players up)

I guess I am through venting now.
So I guess from what you say, you're going to just throw up your hands and figure that this is the best we can expect? Stay the course, don't make any changes?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
CBR was the best at evaluating talent of ANY football coach we ever had. Maybe Heisman was better, maybe. But nobody else was / is ever close.

Yes, he was the best but Gailey for all his faults was actually pretty good at evaluating talent. Coach Dodd was great at recruiting players in his day and was really good at evaluation of talent but he was at his best on game day. In my lifetime, I would put Coach Ross as the best coach we have ever had followed by Dodd and Johnson. It should be noted that Coach Dodd had certain "advantages" in recruiting that his successors never enjoyed. A compliant media for one and the most natural salesman in the history of the school for another. He could sell sand to an Arab. This should not be construed as a criticism of Coach O'Leary who was an excellent coach in his own right. In fact, I would just lump him in with Dodd and Johnson and call it even. IMHO

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
GOL was a smart fball coach.That game vs uga when he went for a FG on THIRD down just because of the chance on a screw-up and he wanted another shot was PURE GENIUS.It worked when Godsey recovered the blocked? kick .Then we kick and win.This was NOT by luck.
Oddly GOl never put out a really good DEF team though.
I thought Randy Edsall did a good job. Maybe I'm thinking that because Roof took over and defense went to ****.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm pulling like hell for a win over the mutts. And if we play a solid game in all 3 phases we have a shot.

Those of you pinning the results Saturday on support for or against our staff....

If that's truly how you feel, go ahead and pen your denunciation letters to TStan and Bud. Uga has had a far better year than we have this year irregardless of the outcome Saturday.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I really hope we play a solid game. If we do we have a shot to win. That being said, they are good. They have a lot of experience and depth. We really have to be prepared to get punched in the face and just keep fighting. We can’t let them get in our heads and beat ourselves.

Happy Thanksgiving to all here and THWG.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Kirby starts off by acknowledging that no school this week is an advantage as it allows his players to "watch a little extra tape against a unique offense that we don't get to face every week".

Also said Georgia has spent time on GT every Monday this season.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
CPJ doesn’t seem very optimistic about the game. I know he is not generally roses and rainbows, but he seems less optimistic than usual to me.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Gotta tip my cap in respect to Kirby's replies about cut blocking and everything else actually.

Mutts are as good as anyone we have played this year. If you don't think so you are fooling yourselves. Bet ya money out players know it.

Here's to playing our best game of the year Saturday. To Hell with georgia!!!

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
So I guess from what you say, you're going to just throw up your hands and figure that this is the best we can expect? Stay the course, don't make any changes?

If being a realist is "throw up your hands", then yes. I think we keep wanting more, but a STEM school will continue have a very, very difficult time convincing great HS players to attend. You can change coaches every few years, but the Institute is what would have to change, and it isn't going to change.