UGA Postgame Discussion

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Celebrating the non targeting, and calling timeout to score with under a minute was embarrassing. Good teams don’t do that. Especially not in a coaches 11th season.
Yeah. I was embarrassed to even watch it. I’ve never seen a player so amped to not get called for targeting. You would’ve thought all the momentum had shifted or we just took the lead or something. Pretty sure we were down by at least 3 scores at that point. Embarrassing for sure.

Georgia is 11-1... Probably has 15 guys who will play in the NFL... their LBs are 6'4'' 255 freaks of nature who run faster than anyone Tech has.

If anyone thinks firing CPJ is going to change that you are kidding yourselves.

End of the day..... The only bad loss this team had was South Florida. Should have been 8-4 instead of 7-5. The next game on the list was the Pitt game, but whatever... South Florida was the real dud that hurt the season, not Georgia.

I look at it as one bad play call, fake punt at Pitt, and the Fumble by Searcy USF from being a 9 win team and playing in the ACCC.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah. I was embarrassed to even watch it. I’ve never seen a player so amped to not get called for targeting. You would’ve thought all the momentum had shifted or we just took the lead or something. Pretty sure we were down by at least 3 scores at that point. Embarrassing for sure.
He was celebrating because he didn’t get kicked out of the game....

Sparkybob

Georgia Tech Fan
In Sagarin rankings, Clemson is number 2 and UGA is number 3. Gt is ranked 40th. Realistically our peer in having facing 2 of the top 3 this year are Auburn and Missouri.

Missouri (Ranked 13th in Sagarin)went 8-4 this year and lost 43-29 to UGA at home and 39-10 to Bama on the road
Auburn (Ranked 21st in Sagarin) went 7-5 this year. Lost 27-10 at UGA and then a 52-21 lost at Bama.
Texas A&M (Ranked 17th in Sagarin) went 8-4. Lost 28-26 at home to Clemson and then lost to Alabama 45-23.
There is also Louisville but I can't count them because they suck.

So we did worse than those 3 teams in facing the big dogs of College Football but some of those games still ended up in 3 possession games. Not sure what my intention was pointing this out other than it's very tough beating the good teams!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
And you can’t put him in the gun, not once, not once, who are you fooling?
I know it doesn’t matter.

On pass protection

“We couldn’t pass protect against their first group. They were back there before you could set your feet.”

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...gatech&utm_medium=social&utm_source=gatech_fb

The one thing we did fairly well on O this year is run the ball. The thing we were horrid at was passing it. And you call for putting the QB in the gun to hamstring the run game to pass more. Genius.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I do agree with a lot of this. The run offense can still work, but you have to push the defenders farther from the LOS. The only way to do that is better passing.

I also dont like how it takes a QB 1 to 2 seasons to learn the system. But we can also not afford to try to compete with the big boys with the same system they run. I honestly would like to see the Offense that CPJ ran at Hawaii.

It didn’t take JfN or JT any longer to learn our system than any other team’s QBs.

It’s not a matter of learning the system after being in it for a year. It’s what the QBs are able to do within the system that matters. Same as any other scheme.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
It didn’t take JfN or JT any longer to learn our system than any other team’s QBs.

It’s not a matter of learning the system after being in it for a year. It’s what the QBs are able to do within the system that matters. Same as any other scheme.

I guess I look at what the UGA and Clemson true freshmen QB's being able to pick up those systems fairly quickly

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Georgia is 11-1... Probably has 15 guys who will play in the NFL... their LBs are 6'4'' 255 freaks of nature who run faster than anyone Tech has.

If anyone thinks firing CPJ is going to change that you are kidding yourselves.

End of the day..... The only bad loss this team had was South Florida. Should have been 8-4 instead of 7-5. The next game on the list was the Pitt game, but whatever... South Florida was the real dud that hurt the season, not Georgia.
CPJ wont ever change. He wont even get rid of Sewak who is a terrible coach and terrible recruiter because thats his best bud. The guy feels no pressure

I guess I look at what the UGA and Clemson true freshmen QB's being able to pick up those systems fairly quickly
To be fair, those systems are a lot easier to pick up on than ours. But, at the same time, I think CPJ overestimates the difficulty and often underestimates the players. He's often a gambler on the field, so I sometimes find it hard to accept that he's not willing to do a little gambling with our personnel.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If you folks are pissed about getting beat down by the mutts did you predict a Tech win or even a close loss? If so you very poorly judged the talent gap and especially the mismatches our D was about to face.

If you are measuring our program against the program in Athens....this is a moment in time not unlike several I’ve witnessed previously. Yes uga is riding very high right now and are performing at an elite level. We have recently performed at nearly as a of a level even with a very average D 2014. We are currently performing at an average level.

So what are some of the biggest differences between our two programs currently? Imo it is having too much disparity in play between all 3 phases. It’s also very much about QB play.

Mutts have an elite QB right now. We didn’t. Ditto Clemson. If the dynamics between our QB play and theirs doesn’t change we won’t compete evenly against them. They either need to drop down to Eason level while we increase to JT level, or we need a truly gifted, Heisman contender type QB.

And we have to field a top 20 D. For us to get to that elite level we need those two things primarily to change. Not saying we can’t improve both marginally and become more competitive, we can......I’m talking about getting to an elite level of play.

Does our scheme prevent us from improving the D? I don’t think so and many opposing coaches have said prepping for our 3-0 makes their Ds more fundamentally sound. I think there are many more obvious problems that have restricted our success on D than the scheme our O runs.

Has our scheme been “figured out” now? This garbage gets constantly recycled. If our scheme was solved everyone would play the same way against us, they don’t. No one would need specific time in the spring to focus on stopping our scheme, they do. No competitor would need to hire an outside consultant to help scout and gameplan against us...but they do. Hell, Smart apparently said this year the mutts has a coach especially dedicated to breaking down Tech film to ganeplan against us....AND they had a patsy Umass to play before Tech to give them two weeks to prep before COFH.

We probably do need to make some changes. One is either getting a bye scheduled before COFH or schedule one of our patsies that week the way all the factories do before hate week.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
BS It was a clean football play. And yes they should celebrate for putting a massive hit on your competition. I wish we had more of that...too many times yesterday I saw damutts punch, horse-collar and face mask our players during and after the play...I wanna see them fight back and not take it.
I want them to play pi$$ed off and like they want to win.
And they pulled Taquan’s helmet off after the whistle while he laid on the ground causing him to miss the crucial 4th down on our first drive that was killed by TO and his cadence that false started the entire O.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Our players are all geniuses and theirs are all morons. How can they be learning things faster????

I think you missed my point. 5 star players typically appear to learn faster because they are great players and perform at a high level on the field even when they don’t know the playbook like a veteran player would.