UF vs TENN

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What do we make of it? With every game that passes by the accumulated season stat sheet, especially by common opponents, we get a little bit clearer picture of what we have for a TECH FB team. Going into this week, if I were to ask who has the better defense, UF or TECH? I feel pretty sure the responses would be at least 90% in favor of UF. As most of you know, I am not the least bit swayed by transitive property arguments in CFB. However, there are no results from this game that would raise concerns about our defense in a comparative sense. UF forced 3 TOs and still gave up quite a few more yards and first downs to the Vowels than we did. UT's star RB ran for about a $1.50.

Conversely, if asked who had the better offense, probably 90% or so would have responded positively for TECH. Well, the results of this game reinforced that notion, as the Jackets piled up nearly double the number of yards, first downs, and possession time etc as the Gators did.

Look, I am well aware that our game against UT was the first game of the season for both teams and, as such, doesn't mean too much. However, at the very least, there is a well respected defense out there who produced similar defensive results as we did. Our D then went on to play a pretty good game, by any measure, against Jax St. Who knows? Maybe these are the first two data points in an ensuing, longer term, argument that our defense is better than many projected.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
As bad as UF offense is I would have to say at this time our defense is better than UT . ( That is if we can get pressure on the QB and the CB's don't play 7-10 yards off the WR's ) Two big if's .

bobbie_downtown

Georgia Tech Fan
I think one conclusion that we can draw is that John Kelly will probably be the toughest running back we play all year. The kid seems to break at least one tackle every time he gets the ball. Also, he was a 3 star guy.

I haven't watched Miami RB Walton much, but his numbers look good. I've seen plenty of Ugag RB's and despite all being 5 stars, they are not overly impressive.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
What do we make of it? With every game that passes by the accumulated season stat sheet, especially by common opponents, we get a little bit clearer picture of what we have for a TECH FB team. Going into this week, if I were to ask who has the better defense, UF or TECH? I feel pretty sure the responses would be at least 90% in favor of UF. As most of you know, I am not the least bit swayed by transitive property arguments in CFB. However, there are no results from this game that would raise concerns about our defense in a comparative sense. UF forced 3 TOs and still gave up quite a few more yards and first downs to the Vowels than we did. UT's star RB ran for about a $1.50.

Conversely, if asked who had the better offense, probably 90% or so would have responded positively for TECH. Well, the results of this game reinforced that notion, as the Jackets piled up nearly double the number of yards, first downs, and possession time etc as the Gators did.

Look, I am well aware that our game against UT was the first game of the season for both teams and, as such, doesn't mean too much. However, at the very least, there is a well respected defense out there who produced similar defensive results as we did. Our D then went on to play a pretty good game, by any measure, against Jax St. Who knows? Maybe these are the first two data points in an ensuing, longer term, argument that our defense is better than many projected.

Couple things: 1st, UT had the ball for almost twice as long in this game as they did against us due to UF's inept offense. Imagine if UT held the ball for 5 mins longer than we did in our game versus us holding it longer than them. How many yards/points would our d have given up? 2nd, this was their QB's 3rd game instead of his first start. I'm guessing he's progressed a little bit. 3rd, I think UT realized how good their RB is and utilized him like they should against us.

As for the Jax St. game, I'm not as impressed as some are on this performance. When your defense relies more on dropped passes by the opposing team (1st half UT as well) and unforced errors by the other team to get stops, it doesn't instill confidence. Their QB makes a horrible throw right to Step (he did make the play so kudos to him) on their first drive of the 2nd half and then fumbles the ball with nobody touching him on their following possession (again, kudos to us for falling on it), followed by scores. That completely changed the complexity of the game.

Did our defense play better the rest of the way? Yes, but we were also more aggressive as well. Why do we have to have a 20+ pt lead to get after somebody? I also find it funny that Roof dialed up back to back blitzes the series his son got in the game. If it takes putting his boy in there to bring some agression, I'm all for it. He impressed me anyways when he did get in.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Did anyone hear the bizarre exchange between nessler and danielson? It was probably the weirdest thing I've heard on a major CFB game, topped off with Danielson joking that Florida/the SEC pays their players., and joking he wishes Verne was there.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, it's hard to know what to make of it, but let me clarify the data a bit.

First, I still think it's important to not use the per game stats when comparing our team to others. For example, we played two overtimes against UT and still faced 59 plays while UF faced 72 plays in regulation. As it turns out, we allowed 6.25 yds/play (6.73 yds/carry; 6.0 yds/att) and UF allowed 6.14 ypp (5.55 ypc; 6.6 ypa). So, from these stats, it seems that our pass D compares well.

Given the caveats of 1st game and no transitive property, it still is data that we compare all the time.

Second, I think the bigger issue for GT fans with concern over our D, is the difference between our first half and our second half. Our D held UT to 3.36 yds/play in the first half. We allowed 9.48 ypp in the second half (not counting O.T).

So, I think one's attitude to this question really comes down to how they view the difference between the 2 halves versus UT.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I think all 3 teams are pretty equal. The difference in this game may have been the UF fans who made it impossible for the UT offense to get a snap cadence right in the red zone late, causing multiple procedures and probably getting the offense off rhythm in general.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think we fit right there with teams like Florida and Tennessee. The media loves the teams and always promotes them as top 20 type teams while we rarely get that type of coverage. I think we are good enough to win every game we play in but at the same time we are capable of losing every game we play in (reference the Tennessee game). We just have to play every game with high emotion and minimal mistakes. This could still be a special season.

Go Jackets!

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Sort of agree with Jerry the Jacket with the exception of a loss at Clemson and a win against Pitt every game we could lose or win.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee has a mental block against Florida in the Swamp and hasn't won there since 2003. When Tennessee after Bowl Game has 9-10 wins they will be shaking their heads mightily at that game once again. I bet Tennessee beats Florida in Knoxville in 2018 like they did in 2017.

Jmonty71

Banned

Only time will tell. I honestly have seen a lot of concerning issues with the D. First and foremost, the D tends to be the nail, instead of the hammer. Poor tackling skills has reared its head. Second, ball awareness. Whether it be a loose ball and the lack of jumping on it or poor ball tracking in fakes. Third and last, we still fail to disguise blitzes. There is little pre-snap movement. Little things like that, can confuse the other QB. We really don't add any smoke and mirrors. I wished we did.

As I said, only time will tell if our D is actually better. But, the tell, tell signs are there. These are fixable. Whether they will be, remains to be seen.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Bad defense at the end. Should have tied up and held their receivers for 10 yard penalty and clock run off. Why not have safeties on the 10 looking for hail Mary. Their DC is not too hot. Cal did that to UNC at end of their game this year. Two or 3 straight holding penalties effectively kiled the clock at the end to stymie a comeback.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Two mediocre teams playing super ugly football. Both teams tried to give the game away, but only Butch succeeded. Neither of those coaches deserve the paychecks they are receiving.

Tennessee came back because Florida could not move the ball on offense (because their offense is terrible) and Florida's defense got gassed. If Florida had a decent offense they would've won that game by 14+. I have no clue how their offense has been so bad for so long.

Kelly is very good, but Georgia and Clemson both have at least two running backs better than him. He doesn't have the top end speed.

These two teams will probably each have three or four SEC losses. The SEC East will have a circle of suck situation this year.

Jmonty71

Banned
Two mediocre teams playing super ugly football. Both teams tried to give the game away, but only Butch succeeded. Neither of those coaches deserve the paychecks they are receiving.

Tennessee came back because Florida could not move the ball on offense (because their offense is terrible) and Florida's defense got gassed. If Florida had a decent offense they would've won that game by 14+. I have no clue how their offense has been so bad for so long.

Kelly is very good, but Georgia and Clemson both have at least two running backs better than him. He doesn't have the top end speed.

These two teams will probably each have three or four SEC losses. The SEC East will have a circle of suck situation this year.
We lost to one of those mediocre teams. What does that make us?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Bad defense at the end. Should have tied up and held their receivers for 10 yard penalty and clock run off. Why not have safeties on the 10 looking for hail Mary. Their DC is not too hot. Cal did that to UNC at end of their game this year. Two or 3 straight holding penalties effectively kiled the clock at the end to stymie a comeback.

UNC needed a TD. A UF FG would have sent it into OT. I'm not sure that stopping the clock and giving up 10 yds a pop would've worked for UT.

Back to the GT comparison, I want to just say, "Dadgum, @Boomergump, why did you make me look at the stats of our game against UT?"

I knew we were bad in the second half, but I didn't know we were 9.5 ypp bad. Hopefully, it was just a bad day, and we'll see a better D going forward.

Tennessee had a starting WR back that was out against us, but at the same time a LB didn't travel to Gainesville. A so-so Florida team with 10 players suspended eked out a win. Don't know what conclusions are to be drawn, but I believe as the season progresses Tennessee will not emerge as a strong team.

I completely agree that your strategy would have worked for Tennessee. But I have to say there is something inherently "unsportsmanlike" in the situation that allows a team to gain an advantage in a contest by intentionally breaking the rules of the game. I can't tell you how I hate basketball where a team has fouls to take to control the clock. I realize that is how the committees have set things up, but it certainly isn't the spirit of competition.