UF vs TENN

Jmonty71

Banned
We don't have a "normal" starter, Neither kicker had started before this season, and, although King has apparently been suffering from a groin injury, he has practiced and lost out to Davis thus far.
Oh... I thought one was a scholarship player and the other was a walk on. Seems like we need to recruit a kicker, this year. :)

Milwaukee

Banned
If King can't beat Davis then we're in deep ****. All the graphics showing Butker's early misses vs Davis' are a desperate reach, that's not the entire issue. The manner in which Davis shanked his shots is the scary part, not just that he missed a couple of fg's. I don't recall Butker choking to the point, even as a freshman, where he couldn't get off what resembled a field goal. Davis completely crumbled, HUGE difference.

Oh... I thought one was a scholarship player and the other was a walk on. Seems like we need to recruit a kicker, this year. :)
We DO have a scholarship player....King. But he has never started, so he can not be considered "normal." But, as I said, he has had a groin injury and, even though apparently practicing, has not beat out Davis yer.

Deleted member 2897

Yet.... We also have not played high power teams. I agree with the AlabamaBuzz. I have not seen anything to suggest that we will have a D that will break the bottom 35%. I would love to be proven wrong, by the time week 9 rolls around. I think that's when the FEI rankings come out.

Right, other than our stats so far.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If King can't beat Davis then we're in deep ****. All the graphics showing Butker's early misses vs Davis' are a desperate reach, that's not the entire issue. The manner in which Davis shanked his shots is the scary part, not just that he missed a couple of fg's. I don't recall Butker choking to the point, even as a freshman, where he couldn't get off what resembled a field goal. Davis completely crumbled, HUGE difference.

This. Making field goals against Jacksonville State damn sure ain't the same thing as making them in a tight game like that TN game. Hopefully that was first game jitters and he can get over it, but those were two really really bad kicks. Gotta get better on kickoffs too or we are going to give up some return TDs this year.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
What do we make of it? With every game that passes by the accumulated season stat sheet, especially by common opponents, we get a little bit clearer picture of what we have for a TECH FB team. Going into this week, if I were to ask who has the better defense, UF or TECH? I feel pretty sure the responses would be at least 90% in favor of UF. As most of you know, I am not the least bit swayed by transitive property arguments in CFB. However, there are no results from this game that would raise concerns about our defense in a comparative sense. UF forced 3 TOs and still gave up quite a few more yards and first downs to the Vowels than we did. UT's star RB ran for about a $1.50.

Conversely, if asked who had the better offense, probably 90% or so would have responded positively for TECH. Well, the results of this game reinforced that notion, as the Jackets piled up nearly double the number of yards, first downs, and possession time etc as the Gators did.

Look, I am well aware that our game against UT was the first game of the season for both teams and, as such, doesn't mean too much. However, at the very least, there is a well respected defense out there who produced similar defensive results as we did. Our D then went on to play a pretty good game, by any measure, against Jax St. Who knows? Maybe these are the first two data points in an ensuing, longer term, argument that our defense is better than many projected.

Opinions will vary. Personally, I do not think Tennessee is very good. Now I have a unfavorable opinion of the Gators as do a goodly portion of their fan base. I was scheduled to go to the game with an alumnus who decided at the last minute to watch the debacle unfold on TV. His succinct and spot on assessment of both teams: "It is a pity that they both can't lose." Sorry coaches with good to excellent talent will result in restless fan bases especially at factories like UF and Tennessee. As for Tech, I remain cautiosly optimistic but our fate will be decided by progress on defense and special teams. It is what it is.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Butker also didn't start his kicking career in a loaded MBS in a right game with huge amounts of pressure. He started it against Elon (only extra points) and Duke (1/3). He'd probably be the first to admit that he screwed up and the pressure got to him. TQM made wrong reads early and settled in late, but the difference is he got a lot more attempts to settle in and get used to the game. Kickers have to sit on the sideline for most of the game and then come out and perform under pressure. These next two games should give us a better idea of our kicking game.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
What do we make of it? With every game that passes by the accumulated season stat sheet, especially by common opponents, we get a little bit clearer picture of what we have for a TECH FB team. Going into this week, if I were to ask who has the better defense, UF or TECH? I feel pretty sure the responses would be at least 90% in favor of UF. As most of you know, I am not the least bit swayed by transitive property arguments in CFB. However, there are no results from this game that would raise concerns about our defense in a comparative sense. UF forced 3 TOs and still gave up quite a few more yards and first downs to the Vowels than we did. UT's star RB ran for about a $1.50.

Conversely, if asked who had the better offense, probably 90% or so would have responded positively for TECH. Well, the results of this game reinforced that notion, as the Jackets piled up nearly double the number of yards, first downs, and possession time etc as the Gators did.

Look, I am well aware that our game against UT was the first game of the season for both teams and, as such, doesn't mean too much. However, at the very least, there is a well respected defense out there who produced similar defensive results as we did. Our D then went on to play a pretty good game, by any measure, against Jax St. Who knows? Maybe these are the first two data points in an ensuing, longer term, argument that our defense is better than many projected.

Unfortunately, piling up double oh let's be generous triple the number of yards, first downs, possessions, or anything else connected with the Gator offense is not as impressive as it once was. One Florida wise crack making the rounds is that the "Gators could not score if they were prison guards at a women's prison" Florida fans have become that cynical and disgusted with their own team miracle finishes notwithstanding.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Somebody in this thread was saying he's the best running back we'll see. That, of course, is ridiculous.

The TN running back is pretty shifty for sure, but Georgias backs are good...and they have a third one now that looks damn good too. Good news on that front is they have either a shoddy sophomore QB or a true freshman...either works for me.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
You could make the argument about two halves D in the UF-UT game as well. D's get tired, even if it's over 40 snaps vs 60. I still think it's too early to definitively make assessments on either the strengths or weaknesses of our D.

Forget the Florida D. I got tired watching the Gator offense go three and out time and again during the second half. It's a wonder that the Gators did not duplicate the infamous "Florida Flop" like they did sometime in the 1960s against Miami. The entire Florida defense simply laid down and allowed Miami to score a meaningless touchdown in a game that the Gators were comfortably ahead late in the fourth quarter so that the Florida quarterback would have an opportunity to complete more passes to set some kind of career record. Miami's coach, may have been Fran Curcci (spelling?) was livid as you might imagine. Come to think of it, there were times in the fourth quarter when Tennessee running back Kelly looked like he was running through a modern day revival of the "Flop".

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Somebody in this thread was saying he's the best running back we'll see. That, of course, is ridiculous.

He is pretty good but UGA has a better tandem and more talent on both offense and defense. They look to be the real deal but we will see when they play Mississippi State who ran LSU slap dab out of Scott Field. If Coach Orgeron did not know what cow bells sound like I bet he does now.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think we CAN DEFINITIVELY say that there is no way our D was "tired" in the UT game, although some have suggested that. If they get tired with that few minutes of playing time, then we have bigger problems than we thought.

No. You can't. There are so many variables that factor into how tired someone gets. For instance, I am a runner. I usually run 20+ miles per week. My body is used to the schedule I keep it on. Monday is a 3 mile tempo run, Tuesday is 3-5 mile intervals, Friday is a 10+ mile distance run, ans Saturday is a recovery run of around 3 miles. I rest on Wed, Thu, and Sun. (And some Saturdays during football season) The other day I varied my schedule and ran a 2 mile tempo run on a Wed after missing the Tuesday run. 2 miles is a short run for me, and you would think with Thursday off I would have been fine. But I sucked wind all day Friday on my run and had to cut it short. It's not always the time you put in, but how hard you play the time you put in. We can keep saying they "shouldn't have" been tired, but we weren't on that field. Either way, it's still too early in the season to really gauge the D just yet. Even Pitt might not be a true test. But we'll know for sure by mid Oct where we stand.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We DO have a scholarship player....King. But he has never started, so he can not be considered "normal." But, as I said, he has had a groin injury and, even though apparently practicing, has not beat out Davis yer.
Not sure if any of you will remember we had a kicker on scholarship from Columbus ( Brookstone High ) signed in 2002 ( I believe ) and if I remember was on the team all 4 years but could not win the job. It happens sometimes.

No. You can't. There are so many variables that factor into how tired someone gets. For instance, I am a runner. I usually run 20+ miles per week. My body is used to the schedule I keep it on. Monday is a 3 mile tempo run, Tuesday is 3-5 mile intervals, Friday is a 10+ mile distance run, ans Saturday is a recovery run of around 3 miles. I rest on Wed, Thu, and Sun. (And some Saturdays during football season) The other day I varied my schedule and ran a 2 mile tempo run on a Wed after missing the Tuesday run. 2 miles is a short run for me, and you would think with Thursday off I would have been fine. But I sucked wind all day Friday on my run and had to cut it short. It's not always the time you put in, but how hard you play the time you put in. We can keep saying they "shouldn't have" been tired, but we weren't on that field. Either way, it's still too early in the season to really gauge the D just yet. Even Pitt might not be a true test. But we'll know for sure by mid Oct where we stand.
All I can say is that Johnson said if they were tired after so few minutes of playing time, then they didn't deserve to be on the field.