UF vs TENN

Deleted member 2897

I admit I didn't read very much of this thread. But I just came to say to not read too much into the UT-UF game. They are both in the SEC East, which means that we would dominate both of them. That's about all you really need to know.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I admit I didn't read very much of this thread. But I just came to say to not read too much into the UT-UF game. They are both in the SEC East, which means that we would dominate both of them. That's about all you really need to know.

??? Not sure what you are saying here. I'm pretty sure we have played one of those two...and I don't believe we "dominated" them either, despite their membership in the SEC East. All 3 teams (us,UT,UF) look like a top 30-40 team who could beat most anybody on a good day or lose to anybody on a bad day.
With that being said, I hate being bad on Offense. UF's offense reminded me of the Nix era or the early Curry years. Just painful too watch. IF we have to lose, I'll take the all offense/no defense options that both CGO'L and CPJ bring to the table.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yeah, it's hard to know what to make of it, but let me clarify the data a bit.

First, I still think it's important to not use the per game stats when comparing our team to others. For example, we played two overtimes against UT and still faced 59 plays while UF faced 72 plays in regulation. As it turns out, we allowed 6.25 yds/play (6.73 yds/carry; 6.0 yds/att) and UF allowed 6.14 ypp (5.55 ypc; 6.6 ypa). So, from these stats, it seems that our pass D compares well.

Given the caveats of 1st game and no transitive property, it still is data that we compare all the time.

Second, I think the bigger issue for GT fans with concern over our D, is the difference between our first half and our second half. Our D held UT to 3.36 yds/play in the first half. We allowed 9.48 ypp in the second half (not counting O.T).

So, I think one's attitude to this question really comes down to how they view the difference between the 2 halves versus UT.

You could make the argument about two halves D in the UF-UT game as well. D's get tired, even if it's over 40 snaps vs 60. I still think it's too early to definitively make assessments on either the strengths or weaknesses of our D.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You could make the argument about two halves D in the UF-UT game as well. D's get tired, even if it's over 40 snaps vs 60. I still think it's too early to definitively make assessments on either the strengths or weaknesses of our D.

I am tipping my hand here regarding my age, but I don't recall much discussion years ago about D's wearing down or people tracking the snaps the way they do now. I understand athlete's are bigger, stronger and faster now but that is also true of the athletes on the D side of the ball. Is conditioning worse? Is it time restrictions on how long a team can practice or train that were non-existent a decade or two or 4 ago?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Good point, but it's not that simple, imo.

To your point, UF allowed 4.45 ypp in the first half and 9.36 ypp in the second. However, UT had 5 drives in the second half against us and 8 drives against UF. For the first 5 drives of the second half, UF allowed 3.29 yards/play.

I think the # of drives (how much consecutive time is on the bench) should be in GT's favor in terms of rest.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Good point, but it's not that simple, imo.

To your point, UF allowed 4.45 ypp in the first half and 9.36 ypp in the second. However, UT had 5 drives in the second half against us and 8 drives against UF. For the first 5 drives of the second half, UF allowed 3.29 yards/play.

I think the # of drives (how much consecutive time is on the bench) should be in GT's favor in terms of rest.

Florida's defense clearly ran out of gas which is not surprising given they had a bunch of guys suspended. Tired guys miss tackles and that's what Kelly feasted on.

Jmonty71

Banned
Yes and no... You can identify gaps early in the season. Those gaps can be fixed. Whether they are or not, is the question. You can identify weaknesses in areas after 2 games. On the same page, those weaknesses can be worked on. So, yes and no... Yes you can assess weaknesses, but the DC can work on those areas, as well. Like ball awareness. I think CTR will focus more on that. Plus I think he'll focus on sound tackling.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yes and no... You can identify gaps early in the season. Those gaps can be fixed. Whether they are or not, is the question. You can identify weaknesses in areas after 2 games. On the same page, those weaknesses can be worked on. So, yes and no... Yes you can assess weaknesses, but the DC can work on those areas, as well. Like ball awareness. I think CTR will focus more on that. Plus I think he'll focus on sound tackling.

Dude. We've played in two games, the second in which we faced an FCS opponent 4 1/2 days after a double OT shootout. We won't know anything until after the Pitt game.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
We are as good as either team (maybe better) but our margin for error is always smaller given the athletic depth that these teams have and we don't.

It's always hard to draw conclusions from transitive evaluations, but it's even harder here given the totally different offensive and defensive schemes we run.

I think we CAN DEFINITIVELY say that there is no way our D was "tired" in the UT game, although some have suggested that. If they get tired with that few minutes of playing time, then we have bigger problems than we thought.

Deleted member 2897

Don't need this game result to know our D is mediocre to poor. I still think, and I thought before the season started, we are not in the top half of the P5 teams in D. More like the bottom 35% or so, at best.
Our opponents have scored on 6 of 22 possessions. We are giving up 256 yards per game and 19 points per game. I'm pretty sure that's not in the bottom 35%.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Don't need this game result to know our D is mediocre to poor. I still think, and I thought before the season started, we are not in the top half of the P5 teams in D. More like the bottom 35% or so, at best.
Our opponents have scored on 6 of 22 possessions. We are giving up 256 yards per game and 19 points per game. I'm pretty sure that's not in the bottom 35%.

We are #49 in ypp D.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
UF has a better D than us. That's pretty clear to my eyes.

As for comparing UT/UF and GT/UT. One big difference stood out to me. UT special teams were excellent against us and piss poor vs UF. If UT special teams performed that way against us we'd have won. Ifs and buts....

Jmonty71

Banned
Yet.... We also have not played high power teams. I agree with the AlabamaBuzz. I have not seen anything to suggest that we will have a D that will break the bottom 35%. I would love to be proven wrong, by the time week 9 rolls around. I think that's when the FEI rankings come out.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

As for comparing UT/UF and GT/UT. One big difference stood out to me. UT special teams were excellent against us and piss poor vs UF. If UT special teams performed that way against us we'd have won. Ifs and buts....

Or if Tech's special teams had been excellent Tech would have won in regulation :D

Jmonty71

Banned

If UT's QB threw one pick, the score would be different. Lot's of could of, should of, would of's....