Tulane Offense

slugboy

Staff member
My apologies then. I thought it was odd coming from you, but as was stated in another thread, it's getting harder and harder to be rational in this forum. Everyone is ready to either anoint CGC the next Ross or throw him out yesterday. The middle ground view seems to enrage both sides equally.

It gets hard to tell tongue in cheek comments when there’s so much vitriol on the board.

Things are off topic, but it might be a good chance to touch on a couple of things.

Speaking of interpretations of posts, I did a post where I showed Ross’s first few seasons, which were rough. That’s probably enough for some people to think I’m saying Collins is the next Ross. I don’t think you had that impression, but just in case, I’m not ready for to say anything of the sort.

I think it’s way too early to know what kind of coach Collins will turn out to be. Ross had a great track record and he still had a couple of really bad seasons. Collins doesn’t have the same track record, but few coaches do. It sure reads like a lot of us aren’t even giving him a chance.

Another thing is that I’m surprised by some of the hostility I’m seeing in general (not an aspersion on you Augusta, your post just happened to be the one I replied to). I don’t see how it’s productive. I’m watching a fan base shoot themselves in the foot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It gets hard to tell tongue in cheek comments when there’s so much vitriol on the board.

Things are off topic, but it might be a good chance to touch on a couple of things.

Speaking of interpretations of posts, I did a post where I showed Ross’s first few seasons, which were rough. That’s probably enough for some people to think I’m saying Collins is the next Ross. I don’t think you had that impression, but just in case, I’m not ready for to say anything of the sort.

I think it’s way too early to know what kind of coach Collins will turn out to be. Ross had a great track record and he still had a couple of really bad seasons. Collins doesn’t have the same track record, but few coaches do. It sure reads like a lot of us aren’t even giving him a chance.

Another thing is that I’m surprised by some of the hostility I’m seeing in general (not an aspersion on you Augusta, your post just happened to be the one I replied to). I don’t see how it’s productive. I’m watching a fan base shoot themselves in the foot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree and no offense taken. I've always tried to stick to reason and logic, but I'll confess I'm tired of watching the fanbase devolve the way it is.

GT is not "my" school because I attended or got out. GT is my school because I chose GT. It stood for something when I was a kid. I looked up to the fans and graduates as almost otherworldly beings. I aspired to be one myself. As fate would have it, I ended up at the Coast Guard Academy instead. I remained a steadfast GT fan throughout, so much so that I routinely purchase season tickets and donate to the GTAA for a program I never attended. It hurts me to see what this fan base is becoming, so I confess I have become somewhat more fervent in my desire to see the fans try to embrace the team "AS IS" because this is the team we have now. It might not be the team we wished for or the coaches we desired, but for better or worse, this is our team.

There is a time and a place to vent about the losses, and I try not to hold anyone accountable for what they post in the 24-48 hour window following a loss. I've extended the grace period for the Citadel game, but at this point we should be past the vitriol. It's going to be a long season. It's probably going to be two long seasons. Regardless, I will be there. I am hoping some of my fellow fans on BOTH sides of this argument can put down their pitchforks and cheer for the boys on the field regardless of how they play and what style offense they run.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I agree and no offense taken. I've always tried to stick to reason and logic, but I'll confess I'm tired of watching the fanbase devolve the way it is.

GT is not "my" school because I attended or got out. GT is my school because I chose GT. It stood for something when I was a kid. I looked up to the fans and graduates as almost otherworldly beings. I aspired to be one myself. As fate would have it, I ended up at the Coast Guard Academy instead. I remained a steadfast GT fan throughout, so much so that I routinely purchase season tickets and donate to the GTAA for a program I never attended. It hurts me to see what this fan base is becoming, so I confess I have become somewhat more fervent in my desire to see the fans try to embrace the team "AS IS" because this is the team we have now. It might not be the team we wished for or the coaches we desired, but for better or worse, this is our team.

There is a time and a place to vent about the losses, and I try not to hold anyone accountable for what they post in the 24-48 hour window following a loss. I've extended the grace period for the Citadel game, but at this point we should be past the vitriol. It's going to be a long season. It's probably going to be two long seasons. Regardless, I will be there. I am hoping some of my fellow fans on BOTH sides of this argument can put down their pitchforks and cheer for the boys on the field regardless of how they play and what style offense they run.

Serious question here - given that we still bring up the Furman game 35 years later, why would you reasonably expect fans to accept this loss 2 weeks, 2 months or even 2 years later? Regardless of whether CGC becomes the next Bobby Dodd or the next Bill Lewis, this game is going to live in infamy for decades...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Serious question here - given that we still bring up the Furman game 35 years later, why would you reasonably expect fans to accept this loss 2 weeks, 2 months or even 2 years later? Regardless of whether CGC becomes the next Bobby Dodd or the next Bill Lewis, this game is going to live in infamy for decades...

I never said accept it. I said we should be past the point where emotion overrides reason. We bring up the Furman loss, and we will forever bring up the Citadel loss. We can do it in a reasonable way though.

Animal02

Banned
Honest question: does the new pres care enough about athletics to do anything like fire TStan if we win 5 games over the next 3 years? We aren't a factory school where the president cares about the flagship sports. Who knows? Maybe he really cares about the football program. Or maybe he was one of those nerds in the lab on Saturday afternoons and watching his Galaticos play "real" futbol.
It is not about caring about a particular sport, but about reputation as well as financial stability. If CGC craps the bed, the MBS deal is going to be an albatross as well.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
It is not about caring about a particular sport, but about reputation as well as financial stability. If CGC craps the bed, the MBS deal is going to be an albatross as well.

Maybe. But 1 billion in academic donations vs a 60 million budget (or whatever the AA's budget is) might skew him to say, "Meh - whatever. Let's spend all our energy on getting to 1.5 billion in academic donations and leave athletics flat."

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Things went down hill when the frat house hung the fire CPJ sign from the window and the hate CPJ people piled on to the board.... not to mention uga getting a new coach and going to the NC effect.

There were plenty of people who did not like the option or even CPJ on the board and there were some great conversation despite the differences. It’s the hate people who have driven the downward trend.

I don’t mind people who don’t like the option or CPJ. It’s the “fire the clown” people who have made this board what it is...

Go Collins and go GT! Go Swarm chat!