Tulane Offense

Animal02

Banned
I'm not calling for any OC or other coach to go until these 28 Fr and Sophs we have playing on offense and defense are Jrs and Srs and we've gotten 2 recruiting classes in. Year three, I'll assess where we are. Willie Fritz went 4-8 (1-7 in AAC) and 5-7 (3-5 in AAC) his first two years at Tulane. Go see what Monken did his first two at Army.
4-8 and 5-7 would be (on the low end) acceptable. If CGC goes 1-11 and 2-10, a third year will be questionable regardless of the buyout.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Collins may take GT to heights not seen since Dodd....

And I would have loved someone like Fritz... someone with a little more history and prowes in the coaching department. Of course it may be that I just have not read up enough on Collins. It may be that I just don't understand or know Collins resume. I do know he had some involvement with the 2007 class. Is he known for defensive accomplishments and defensive stratagy?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

And I would have loved someone like Fritz... someone with a little more history and prowes in the coaching department. Of course it may be that I just have not read up enough on Collins. It may be that I just don't understand or know Collins resume. I do know he had some involvement with the 2007 class. Is he known for defensive accomplishments and defensive stratagy?

You can tell he knows defense. Its obvious as hell on tape even with the kids we got and learning a new system. Next year they are going to be a badarse salty bunch i think

Ol. O talent. Qb. Thats the issue and possibly oc

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

Fritz went 1-7 and 3-5 in the AAC in his first two seasons. Collins went 4-4 and 7-1. But who inherited what yap yap yap. Doesn't matter. People want the coach to win NOW, be the savior from game 1. Option fans, we're going in another direction. This has been understood since the day Collins was hired. Give the current coach the same leeway Willie Fritz or Jeff Monken have gotten after their first two crappy seasons. Willie's team's lookin good. In season 4.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
You can tell he knows defense. Its obvious as hell on tape even with the kids we got and learning a new system. Next year they are going to be a badarse salty bunch i think

Ol. O talent. Qb. Thats the issue and possibly oc
The OL talent is completely NOT on the tab of Collins or Patenaude. Sorry, that's completely and totally on the plate of Sewak. He was very finicky and got who he wanted. There are guys starting at Louisville and Duke who would have been very interested in us who he wouldn't offer until too late. That is not on Collins or Patenaude. It says volumes when walk-ons are playing ahead of scholarship OL by more than 1 or 2.

I honestly think after Clemson, Patenaude is in 'take your lumps' mode. We're not going to be doing any Willie Fritz stuff. The Temple QB was 32-41 recently one game. Bite the bullett and make the switch now, while there's grace. Yeah:rolleyes:

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The OL talent is completely NOT on the tab of Collins or Patenaude. Sorry, that's completely and totally on the plate of Sewak. He was very finicky and got who he wanted. There are guys starting at Louisville and Duke who would have been very interested in us who he wouldn't offer until too late. That is not on Collins or Patenaude. It says volumes when walk-ons are playing ahead of scholarship OL by more than 1 or 2.

Never said it was. The main issues with our team right now are ol. Qb. And possibly oc.

I never assigned blame. And dont want to hash up with you did. Because it derails threads

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
One thing here: I keep hearing people calling for us to go uptempo.

Look at the TOP for the (shudder) Citadel game. The main reason they won is because they were on the field longer. The reason they were on the field longer is, I think, that our players were trying to get plays off that they weren't sure they could execute. (Well, that and the spread option, but let's not go there.) We need to slow the process down and run more veer based double options. With two RBs - and Lord knows we have enough of those, all talented - we can run (have, actually) speed options and straight veer double options easily. What we should do is slow down and do it. Once we are running effectively, the passing will much easier. It always is.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well … that and having four potential starters sidelined with injuries. We are really missing Cooper, Minihan, Hansen, and Clark. With them available - maybe against Temple - the picture will be different.

How different is anybody's guess. Until we actually start to have a "player-focused" offense, we'll continue to struggle.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I think some of yall are giving up on him WAY too fast and maybe your right but he deserves more than 3 games before you bring out the noose for the man.

Maybe so but there are quite a few Temple folks that didn't mind losing OUR OC when he came here.Many are saying how ironic it is that they get to play vs his Offense.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

LD,
I looked at Ms St and Fla stats when GC was there.He certainly improved the Pass DEF on those teams.--for what its worth.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems that a lot of y'all are hyping up Fritz in here, and I understand why, but the offense the past few years has not been good by any means. The big addition this year was hiring the OC from Memphis, Will Hall, who has done wonders in playcalling. Very similar guys as last season, but very different results(in a good way). He is also the one that instituted the fake kneel play at Tulane.

I was there at the game last night and although the crowd was sparse, the atmosphere was crazy once the Wave brought the game closer.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah I saw a guy throwing behind, throwing low, and over throwing a wide open receiver. He could run though.
He was erratic, but picture one of our QBs at Tech making this throw:

McMillan was only a 3* coming out of high school, mind you. The type of guy we could get at Tech.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
One thing here: I keep hearing people calling for us to go uptempo.

Look at the TOP for the (shudder) Citadel game. The main reason they won is because they were on the field longer. The reason they were on the field longer is, I think, that our players were trying to get plays off that they weren't sure they could execute. (Well, that and the spread option, but let's not go there.) We need to slow the process down and run more veer based double options. With two RBs - and Lord knows we have enough of those, all talented - we can run (have, actually) speed options and straight veer double options easily. What we should do is slow down and do it. Once we are running effectively, the passing will much easier. It always is.
Keep in mind that our Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalties extended drives leading to NINETEEN extra minutes of possession time for Citadel. Take those minutes away, and instead divide them evenly between the two teams, and it’s almost a 50-50 TOP split

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Clemson and Bama are much closer to 50/50 teams. Oklahoma,UGA, and OSU are run heavy, but Oklahoma's rush stats are skewed by QB scrambles by Hurts. The crazy one to me is LSU. They are way more pass heavy this year than I can remember. Maybe it's because they finally have a competent QB.

That QB didn’t look nearly as good last year. Smells like good coaching.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The next two years will be tough no matter the coach including CPJ. I often wonder if 2019 and 2020 schedules were setup to force CPJ out (2020 with UCF, UGA, Clemson, and ND)?

I see the defensive spark, but the O seems like scrambled eggs after Clemson. I got to admit the first two offensive/defensive series against Clemson had me wondering if I had been to harsh/rash.

I am not anti-Collins as much as I did not see the data saying this is an upgrade or an equivalent to CPJ. It will take 3 years to see... but hopefully we will see improvement in the basics if not wins along the way. The fire CPJ crowd including the JA in section 105 jeering at CPJ and jeering me has me seriously jaded. I often wondered if he cheered when won a game... and I am ashamed to say that I don't wish the man any joy in football due to his actions.

If I get down to it in my heart, it's more about being jaded by the hate than it is about Collins.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The next two years will be tough no matter the coach including CPJ. I often wonder if 2019 and 2020 schedules were setup to force CPJ out (2020 with UCF, UGA, Clemson, and ND)?

I see the defensive spark, but the O seems like scrambled eggs after Clemson. I got to admit the first two offensive/defensive series against Clemson had me wondering if I had been to harsh/rash.

I am not anti-Collins as much as I did not see the data saying this is an upgrade or an equivalent to CPJ. It will take 3 years to see... but hopefully we will see improvement in the basics if not wins along the way. The fire CPJ crowd including the JA in section 105 jeering at CPJ and jeering me has me seriously jaded. I often wondered if he cheered when won a game... and I am ashamed to say that I don't wish the man any joy in football due to his actions.

If I get down to it in my heart, it's more about being jaded by the hate than it is about Collins.
Yes. I don't see anything much in the way of relief next year, so we had best get our chinstraps tight for the rest of the season. 2020 is a lost cause. Period.

If our performance doesn't improve soon this year, however, I don't know if Collins will survive. On what I've seen so far, we are headed for a VanGorder at Georgia Southern year. I hope that doesn't happen; our recruiting will suffer if it does.

Sooooo … let's hope that the team will pull itself off the deck like it did last year. That's what I'm hoping for. And it is on the coaches to make it happen.