Tulane Offense

Animal02

Banned
Yes. I don't see anything much in the way of relief next year, so we had best get our chinstraps tight for the rest of the season. 2020 is a lost cause. Period.

If our performance doesn't improve soon this year, however, I don't know if Collins will survive. On what I've seen so far, we are headed for a VanGorder at Georgia Southern year. I hope that doesn't happen; our recruiting will suffer if it does.

Sooooo … let's hope that the team will pull itself off the deck like it did last year. That's what I'm hoping for. And it is on the coaches to make it happen.
CGC can probably survive a 1-11 year IF next year shows improvement and he finishes around .500. If next year on gets 3 wins or less, I doubt he survived.... and TSTan may not either.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The contract he signed basically guarantees 5 years regardless of the record. What I’m surprised about is it seems like attendance has been worse this year than it ever has.
There's no such thing as a guaranteed contract. If Tech decides to get rid of him, they'll get rid of him. See Paul Hewitt for reference.

True, that would cost a lot. But it's only money.

On attendance, see warming, global. The heat has been brutal and Tech was expected to easily win both games. I gave my USF tickets to my son, who went. I stayed in the AC at home. Now, of course, unless we see a rebound attendance will continue to slump. Once the weather really breaks, however, I'll be there.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Right now I just want to see week to week improvement especially the offense. We may lose but it needs to be a dogfight. In a transition year we should be looking for improvement. Too early to really tell but so far indications are that our QB play needs to improve the most.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
I called it before the first game. This OC does nothing creative and he hasn’t moved up in coaching (signaling that he’s not well thought of in coaching circles). It’s Collins’ choice: he cans decide to sink with him or do what smart HCs do and make tough moves to get better.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Yes. I don't see anything much in the way of relief next year, so we had best get our chinstraps tight for the rest of the season. 2020 is a lost cause. Period.

If our performance doesn't improve soon this year, however, I don't know if Collins will survive. On what I've seen so far, we are headed for a VanGorder at Georgia Southern year. I hope that doesn't happen; our recruiting will suffer if it does.

Sooooo … let's hope that the team will pull itself off the deck like it did last year. That's what I'm hoping for. And it is on the coaches to make it happen.
He’s not going anywhere no matter how bad the season is, thankfully the people in charge of this operation understand football enough to know what kind of transition this is going to be and that it’s going to take time. The lynch mob mentality is a ticket for GT to abolish fb or go straight to FCS fb. We can’t survive firing and paying for multiple coach’s contracts like we’re UT or something.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
He’s not going anywhere no matter how bad the season is

This. This also applies to next year as well. We need to get behind him and support him because whether we like him or not, we are stuck with him for the foreseeable future.

I'll add that I expected this season to be a train wreck. I expect next season will "look" better but yield similar results in the W-L column. It's year 3 and 4 where we should start judging real progress.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This. This also applies to next year as well. We need to get behind him and support him because whether we like him or not, we are stuck with him for the foreseeable future.

I'll add that I expected this season to be a train wreck. I expect next season will "look" better but yield similar results in the W-L column. It's year 3 and 4 where we should start judging real progress.
Your acceptance of mediocrity is disturbing.

Right now I just want to see week to week improvement especially the offense. We may lose but it needs to be a dogfight. In a transition year we should be looking for improvement. Too early to really tell but so far indications are that our QB play needs to improve the most.
I get so confused byt his statement of needing to improve. So we decided to leave behind one of the most potent offenses and go with an offense that starts at ground zero. We play a QB that hasn't played football in almost 4 years instead of a proven winner and weapon, only because some fans want pro football. For me, winning is more important than anything.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Your acceptance of mediocrity is disturbing.

This is the kind of nonsense that irritates me. Where, exactly, have I indicated that I am happy about this. What I have done is make a realistic assessment of the situation and determined when would be an appropriate time to judge the efficacy of the current regime. Ask @Supersizethatorder-mutt about how happy I was about the Citadel game. I was texting him consistently in a very aggravated state.

The difference is that I don't let emotion rule my intellect. While I may not be happy about it, anyone who understands football should have seen this coming mile away. There's a reason all the experts picked us to finish dead last in the ACC. We have to rebuild almost the entirety of the offensive roster. Even if we had a full recruiting class under us we'd still be struggling. We lost a lot of production from the old offense to graduation and our new scheme is not a fit for our current QBs.

But yes, the fact that I could predict this ahead of time and have determined there was only one coaching option (pun intended) that could have avoided this doesn't mean I accept mediocrity. It means I've accepted reality.

And for what it's worth, there are a lot of posters who would be thrilled to accept mediocrity this season. I don't think this particular GT team will reach the mediocrity line at any point this season.

So, with all that said, cheer on our players, support our coach, and keep attending/donating. It's the ONLY way we're gonna climb out of this hole.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This is the kind of nonsense that irritates me. Where, exactly, have I indicated that I am happy about this. What I have done is make a realistic assessment of the situation and determined when would be an appropriate time to judge the efficacy of the current regime. Ask @Supersizethatorder-mutt about how happy I was about the Citadel game. I was texting him consistently in a very aggravated state.

The difference is that I don't let emotion rule my intellect. While I may not be happy about it, anyone who understands football should have seen this coming mile away. There's a reason all the experts picked us to finish dead last in the ACC. We have to rebuild almost the entirety of the offensive roster. Even if we had a full recruiting class under us we'd still be struggling. We lost a lot of production from the old offense to graduation and our new scheme is not a fit for our current QBs.

But yes, the fact that I could predict this ahead of time and have determined there was only one coaching option (pun intended) that could have avoided this doesn't mean I accept mediocrity. It means I've accepted reality.

And for what it's worth, there are a lot of posters who would be thrilled to accept mediocrity this season. I don't think this particular GT team will reach the mediocrity line at any point this season.

So, with all that said, cheer on our players, support our coach, and keep attending/donating. It's the ONLY way we're gonna climb out of this hole.
Uh, this was firmly tongue in cheek. I'm surprised you didn't see that.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
You should only be surprised by attendance if you bought into the narrative that CPJs offense was the prime reason attendance was dropping. There are much larger issues impacting attendance both at GT as well as across all of college football
+1

Including playing games in the middle of the afternoon in August in September when its 90-plus degrees outside in full sun. Don't Mass moves by NCAA all for TV money. [emoji34]

Through in many other entertainment options in metropolitan Atlanta, kids sports activities on Saturdays, etc...

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
CGC can probably survive a 1-11 year IF next year shows improvement and he finishes around .500. If next year on gets 3 wins or less, I doubt he survived.... and TSTan may not either.

Honest question: does the new pres care enough about athletics to do anything like fire TStan if we win 5 games over the next 3 years? We aren't a factory school where the president cares about the flagship sports. Who knows? Maybe he really cares about the football program. Or maybe he was one of those nerds in the lab on Saturday afternoons and watching his Galaticos play "real" futbol.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Uh, this was firmly tongue in cheek. I'm surprised you didn't see that.

My apologies then. I thought it was odd coming from you, but as was stated in another thread, it's getting harder and harder to be rational in this forum. Everyone is ready to either anoint CGC the next Ross or throw him out yesterday. The middle ground view seems to enrage both sides equally.