Tulane Offense

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I think we are forgetting we should run that type of offense. NOW. Next year it should look a little different and by year 3 we should be running 55, passing 45. The goal is to move away from the all run offense. What we are really trying to achieve is how the Jags offense looked last night. Where the QB is the star. 20 completions on 30 attempts. For 2 TDs.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
I really think folks are really losing sight on how bad the execution has been. We could incorporate OU, Tulane, or Houston scheme it wouldn’t right now bc our execution at the LOS is subpar

Thank you! We can run whatever O we want to but we are not executing. I do feel like play calling can mask a little bit of that but I’m on the TO bandwagon with running some spread option. Those two drives in the second half it looked like we were starting to roll on O and get our stride.

Thank you! We can run whatever O we want to but we are not executing. I do feel like play calling can mask a little bit of that but I’m on the TO bandwagon with running some spread option. Those two drives in the second half it looked like we were starting to roll on O and get our stride.
Let's face facts. Running the football in College Football is how you win. Bama, Clemson, UGA, and even now Oklahoma are run 70% teams. We need to give our running backs at least 40 carries a game and Oliver at least 15. Then throw it maybe 20 times. That is how we are going to win.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I really think folks are really losing sight on how bad the execution has been. We could incorporate OU, Tulane, or Houston scheme it wouldn’t right now bc our execution at the LOS is subpar

There’s a post in the offensive thread you started that links to a write-up about Coach P’s offense at Coastal Carolina. It describes exactly what a lot of us want to see run with Oliver or Graham.

Coach P has made some questionable to boneheaded decisions, but like you say, our execution has been terrible. It has been the worst at the LOS, but it hasn’t been great at the skill positions either.

For sure, we can game plan better and we can stop the QB carousel. Even if we do that, we may still see ourselves failing while we’re trying to do the “right” things.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Let's face facts. Running the football in College Football is how you win. Bama, Clemson, UGA, and even now Oklahoma are run 70% teams. We need to give our running backs at least 40 carries a game and Oliver at least 15. Then throw it maybe 20 times. That is how we are going to win.
Clemson and Bama are much closer to 50/50 teams. Oklahoma,UGA, and OSU are run heavy, but Oklahoma's rush stats are skewed by QB scrambles by Hurts. The crazy one to me is LSU. They are way more pass heavy this year than I can remember. Maybe it's because they finally have a competent QB.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow

You are exactly right on running the ball. Those teams mentioned are maximizing the talent they have and putting them in the best position. If we came and lined up in 11 personnel with 2 WRs to one side and the TE and WR lined up wide on the other side like we ran last game and ran multiple plays out of that formation. I wouldn't be complaining as much. I thought we legitimately had the advantage on O. We had 7 in the box compared to their 6.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

You know these stats are being recorded
Run pass ratio

Bama: 47/53
Clemson: 50.5/49.5
UGA: 57/43
OU: 62/38

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/passing-play-pct

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
In all of these offenses that we see and long for here on the Flats have something in common, consistent O-line play. I'm pretty sure none of these teams will have as many walk-ons play meaningful snaps as we will this season. I'm just going to withhold judgment on the offense until I see better O-line play

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Cant execute what he is asking them to do with who we have. So its chicken and egg. His system is not gonna work here even in year two.

If u look at run heavy spreads, they have a different system and it would work here quicker imo. Sure we still need more OL talent i get that. But we are running stuff that is too heavy on checks and its darn hard on top of lack of total talent. Hence why we see little hurry up too. Its too check heavy and kids are way unsure

Its easy to blame execution. Like roofs defense didnt work due to lack of execution. Sometimes its the design too. Its a circular argument to me.

I think what he is asking and the design needs peyton manning or joe hamilton or someone cerebral that can pass.

What we have are probably smart kids, learning, so they are all true freshman, but more like michael vicks at this stage or johnny manziels. Athletes that werent asked to be on field coaches

My opinion is his overall system is a tough one for any team let alone transition.

I mean if u look at what he runs, the real stuff not the oliver small playset it is very nfl. Its not simple. It relies heavy on the qb. That is a hard system in ncaa to run. You need to be in it for 3 years

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I'm not calling for any OC or other coach to go until these 28 Fr and Sophs we have playing on offense and defense are Jrs and Srs and we've gotten 2 recruiting classes in. Year three, I'll assess where we are. Willie Fritz went 4-8 (1-7 in AAC) and 5-7 (3-5 in AAC) his first two years at Tulane. Go see what Monken did his first two at Army.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm not calling for any OC or other coach to go until these 28 Fr and Sophs we have playing on offense and defense are Jrs and Srs and we've gotten 2 recruiting classes in. Year three, I'll assess where we are. Willie Fritz went 4-8 (1-7 in AAC) and 5-7 (3-5 in AAC) his first two years at Tulane. Go see what Monken did his first two at Army.

Why are you using reason and sound judgement? There's no place for that on messageboards...

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Collins is way to loyal to his OC. I dont ever expect a change. This may be a sucky ride on offense for years unless generational talent comes in.

The oc hire was terrible. He doesnt major in anything. He is a copycat oc with no training under the wing if someone with ingenuity.

He may know x and os but its not about if your qb can presnap read. I watch intelligent coaches with offenses with creative pass packages using qbs who cant read a d nor throw a pass that great do just fine because its the design of the system that helps. Heavy screen game, types or rpos, pick style plays and crossing routes vs man, half field rollout plays reading 2-3 at most or reading off the smash combo, there is so much we can do to balance youth in this system, with the talent we have, and can recruit to and grow we arent doing at all.

Just not a fan of anything i see
I think some of yall are giving up on him WAY too fast and maybe your right but he deserves more than 3 games before you bring out the noose for the man.