Leonard Wood and Frank O Spain
J.B. West
J.B. Wood
Rufus B. Nailey
Harris T Collier
John McKee
George Andree
Oliver Huie

Here's the details I have on that period. Any more documentation would be appreciated. I got this out of various books on GT Football.

Back when football was similar to what Ultimate Frisbee is today. To me, GT football started in 1904 with the arrival of Heisman (thank you Clemson).
fa3s9hxmy57pk716g.jpg

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Here's the details I have on that period. Any more documentation would be appreciated. I got this out of various books on GT Football.

Back when football was similar to what Ultimate Frisbee is today. To me, GT football started in 1904 with the arrival of Heisman (thank you Clemson).
fa3s9hxmy57pk716g.jpg
would that be the general, Leonard Wood?

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
When we complain about how the program is treated or perceived we need to remember one thing. The value of the program is based mostly on the fans. How big and rabid a fan base is determines bowls, TV, and ssdly how hard the NCAA might come down on you. The biggest achievement of any AD is not the facilities he built or how many coaches he hired. Its how many fans he brought in.

I have come to believe that for Tech to rise it starts with our fans. Fill the stadium up win or lose and we will get 3:30 kickoffs and better bowls. Why? Because we will be a very attractive program to a really good coach and the money will roll in.

Showing your unhappy by not buying tix and not showing up to games actually hurts more than it helps. An apathetic fanbase is not attractive to coaches or recruits. We (the fans) have more power when we show up than when we giveup.
Yes! The only thing the average fan can actively do to improve the program is to buy tickets and go to games. It makes a much bigger effect on recruits that visit when Bobby Dodd is loud and crazy on gameday, plus it looks better on TV.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It doesn’t help when the students don’t show up.
It's not only the students. I know people that can't travel to the football game want to see it on TV, but TV will slowly kill the game to easy to see your team play without getting tickets and being in the heat or cold. How many games were on TV in the 50's 60's and 70's.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It's not only the students. I know people that can't travel to the football game want to see it on TV, but TV will slowly kill the game to easy to see your team play without getting tickets and being in the heat or cold. How many games were on TV in the 50's 60's and 70's.
There are several flip sides to that. A lot of people can't go to a game. TV is their access. TV has, I think, immeasurably added to the popularity of the game and doubtless brought lots of money to the schools. All in all I will take TV over no or limited TV.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Understanding bowl selection is actually quite easy.

The bowls are run by local committee's whose primary goal is to maximize local sales by maximizing how many show up in the stands.
Rightly or wrongly GT does not have a strong reputation amongst bowls for traveling. We have a smaller school, smaller fanbase size than some.

The Belk Bowl has never chosen an ACC team from outside the Carolinas and Virginia except when it was a Top 25 team (L'ville once, BC once). There was never any chance they were going to take a 7-5, non-top 25 GT team.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
Understanding bowl selection is actually quite easy.

The bowls are run by local committee's whose primary goal is to maximize local sales by maximizing how many show up in the stands.
Rightly or wrongly GT does not have a strong reputation amongst bowls for traveling. We have a smaller school, smaller fanbase size than some.

The Belk Bowl has never chosen an ACC team from outside the Carolinas and Virginia except when it was a Top 25 team (L'ville once, BC once). There was never any chance they were going to take a 7-5, non-top 25 GT team.
Everyone seems pissed at the Belk Bowl for not taking us but in my mind the bigger offender was the Military Bowl. Sure it's tier 2 but it is a weekend game in Annapolis and I think they would have a great showing for CPJ's last (maybe) game. Instead they chose a VT team who frankly has looked like hot garbage this season and whom we stomped.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I think not taking us was a good move for Belk/Charlotte, but it is a close decision. UVA's fanbase is energized after a good season, don't get bowl games as often as we do, and a lot of their alumni reside in the Research Triangle and Charlotte. The school itself is not that far away in Charlottesville and it's accessible to drive to for a lot of their DMV-located alumni. They will bring more tourism bux to Charlotte and the Belk Bowl than we would have.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
It doesn’t help when the students don’t show up.
I agree. I was looking around at the Miami game this year and saw that the south endzone was empty and the swarm/frats wasn't full even into the second quarter. To think that that was our only night game, let alone a whiteout and against a tough opponent, I was amazed at how little support the students gave.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Everyone seems pissed at the Belk Bowl for not taking us but in my mind the bigger offender was the Military Bowl. Sure it's tier 2 but it is a weekend game in Annapolis and I think they would have a great showing for CPJ's last (maybe) game. Instead they chose a VT team who frankly has looked like hot garbage this season and whom we stomped.
I still can't figure out how the Military bowl saw we were still available (among VT, Duke, etc.), knew it would be CPJ's last game for the foreseeable future, and didn't pick us. Do we know if the organizers are affiliated with the Naval Academy? I would think the combo of the Navy fanbase, plus our fanbase would have convinced them to take us.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
VT had 100k alumni within an hour of Annapolis. They'd have to be the worlds biggest dumbassess not to select them

LibertyTurns

Banned
You can not buy what Belk is selling fairly easy. It’s harder to come out and say I’m against the military, even if the source is a bowl run by blood sucking defense contractors.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You can not buy what Belk is selling fairly easy. It’s harder to come out and say I’m against the military, even if the source is a bowl run by blood sucking defense contractors.
Speaking of blood sucking defense contractors, does anybody think Johnson shows up for the Army-Navy game Saturday? I hope he does, with one school and two head coaches linked directly to him, and I gather the work toward Tech's bowl game is pretty slow still. I would personally like to see that. Probably not since the days of Red Blaik for Army and Roger Staubach for Navy has one coach affected the schools so much. (A little hyperbole, but not much. And I know the contractor reference makes no sense, but it got your attention.)

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think not taking us was a good move for Belk/Charlotte, but it is a close decision. UVA's fanbase is energized after a good season, don't get bowl games as often as we do, and a lot of their alumni reside in the Research Triangle and Charlotte. The school itself is not that far away in Charlottesville and it's accessible to drive to for a lot of their DMV-located alumni. They will bring more tourism bux to Charlotte and the Belk Bowl than we would have.

I wonder how energized they are after 2 crushing OT defeats to their 2 biggest rivals to end the season? Our fan support was embarrassing this year, especially the UVA game so i knda understand Belks thought process

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I live in the Triangle. It is not Silicone Valley, but close, and I imagine Georgia Tech has more grads around than Virginia. But it is just anecdotal from when I wear a Tech cap or sweats.