TStan Give Some Clarification

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
So the ACC and GT basically thought they could go to Tampa & Dallas and bypass Detroit??? Once they couldn't Georgia Tech slide to the Quick Lane... and they selected Georgia Tech over BC & Wake.....
ACC doesn't select. Just the bowls. ACC selects the criteria of which teams can be selected. If you are mad at the criteria, be mad at the criteria. But the bowls did nothing wrong from what the ACC told them they could choose from, which was every 6-6 and 7-5 team on a level playing field. I don't agree with it, and think it should change, but instead of chaning confrences get Todd to ***** and moan ala bye week style and get the criteria changed so it has to be by record or by ranking in something like Massey Composite.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I keep hearing comments about Georgia tech fans not traveling well. Didn’t we have more people than Boston college in Dublin, even though they were the home team. Also, Duke and Miami got better bowls than us, and their fans don’t even travel well to home games. I’m surprised Swofford didn’t try to push to get UNCheat in ahead of us .

Miami almost had more people watch the Miami LSU game then Gerogia Tech had watch their entire football season (which includes the UGA and Clemson games). They defintely have a fan base. We did travel better than boston college, but that says more about boston college than about us. We were outnumbered at both the orange bowl and tax slayer bowl in both our recent appearances. Tennesee outshined us in our own bayckyard in Atlanta in 2017 as well.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Miami almost had more people watch the Miami LSU game then Gerogia Tech had watch their entire football season (which includes the UGA and Clemson games). They defintely have a fan base. We did travel better than boston college, but that says more about boston college than about us. We were outnumbered at both the orange bowl and tax slayer bowl in both our recent appearances. Tennesee outshined us in our own bayckyard in Atlanta in 2017 as well.

Agreed to all points. When the overall geographic fanbase is larger, in general, the pool of those that will attend a bowl game are larger as well. UT probably has a fanbase 3X the size of ours, and that might be an understatement.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I keep hearing comments about Georgia tech fans not traveling well. Didn’t we have more people than Boston college in Dublin, even though they were the home team. Also, Duke and Miami got better bowls than us, and their fans don’t even travel well to home games. I’m surprised Swofford didn’t try to push to get UNCheat in ahead of us .

I don’t think the “home team” in Ireland means anything. Yes, I ran into GT fans all around Ireland but it’s Ireland...a truly rare event and a destination that lots of folks want to go to anyway.

Dublin > Detroit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
He seems like a two faced politician to me. In over his head at GT. Maybe started with good intentions, but realized how much work there is and how the big donors are idiots. Just another guy that will try and save tech but will fail because big money donors are complete morons who think the world still works like it's the 1960s

Could not possibly disagree with you more. Todd, and GT, stand nothing to gain by bashing and blaming. If he is in this for the long haul — and I hope and believe that he is, as he loves GT and wants it to succeed both on and off the field of play — then he needs the conference on his side. Shooting off at the mouth would be seen as immature and idiotic, which it would be. Our AD is a far better man than you give him credit for if you think otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
Miami almost had more people watch the Miami LSU game then Gerogia Tech had watch their entire football season (which includes the UGA and Clemson games). They defintely have a fan base.
Are you talking TV or attendance; either way this doesn't make much sense. Miami was preseason top 10 and the only game on (pre NFL season) on a Sunday night.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Are you talking TV or attendance; either way this doesn't make much sense. Miami was preseason top 10 and the only game on (pre NFL season) on a Sunday night.

TV. GT had a Saturday game on ESPN against South Florida (highest rated game for GT) and the primetime slot on two weekday games vs Louisville and Virginia Tech. Even if you remove that LSU game entirely, Miami still had higher viewship than GT

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Probably more about LSU than UM, plus neutral fans and folks in general thought it was going to be a good fb game just to watch.

FSU Miami almost had the same ratings. Still had almost 3x ratings as techs games, which included the Clemson and uga games. Even with those, tech still wasn't higher. I doubt LSUs fan base is twice as big as Clemson and Ugas combined at a 3.8 TV rating vs sub 1s for GT-Clemson and GT-uga

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
For the sake of a fair comparison, the Miami - LSU game should be thrown out because there wasn’t a competing game on tv - neither college nor NFL games
Also, it was early in the season after Miami had come off a very good year.

I don't think it is an apples-to-apples comparison to say Miami would travel better than GT because for a particular game they had more people watching on TV than GT fans watched on TV. Also, with this being CPJ's last game, I think there would have been more fan interest in traveling to Birmingham, Charlotte, Nashville, or even Annapolis.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Also, it was early in the season after Miami had come off a very good year.

I don't think it is an apples-to-apples comparison to say Miami would travel better than GT because for a particular game they had more people watching on TV than GT fans watched on TV. Also, with this being CPJ's last game, I think there would have been more fan interest in traveling to Birmingham, Charlotte, Nashville, or even Annapolis.

It was a primetime Sunday night game, opening weekend with no NFL competition, most anybody who loves fb was watching that game, i know i was and i can’t stand either team.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
TV. GT had a Saturday game on ESPN against South Florida (highest rated game for GT) and the primetime slot on two weekday games vs Louisville and Virginia Tech. Even if you remove that LSU game entirely, Miami still had higher viewship than GT

In my opinion Friday night games aren't very primetime, a lot of people are off doing other things. Also on Thursday games you have to compete with the NFL so you're not the only game on like it used to be.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
No need to make public statements, criticizing bowls or conferences as the AD, we should have simply declined the invitation. It’s a slap in the face that we did have control of — we could have stayed home.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No need to make public statements, criticizing bowls or conferences as the AD, we should have simply declined the invitation. It’s a slap in the face that we did have control of — we could have stayed home.
Good luck getting an invitation next year. Look, these bowls are exhibitions. They are also businesses and businesses want to make money. If the ACC wanted to, they could have forced the tie-ins to pick based on finish order but they didn’t.

Like the worn out line in the gangster movies...”It’s not personal, it’s business.”