TStan Give Some Clarification

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I've heard from multiple people that work at GTAA that Stansbury and deputy AD pushed for Charlotte and NYC very hard (even had Teixeira involved) and then Military after CPJ announcement. Not sure what more could have been done. The bowls make the final decision, but didn't sound like ACC helped much.
I don't think there will be more than a few hundred GT fans at Ford Field and it will look very empty because not many Minnesota fans will go either.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I've heard from multiple people that work at GTAA that Stansbury and deputy AD pushed for Charlotte and NYC very hard (even had Teixeira involved) and then Military after CPJ announcement. Not sure what more could have been done. The bowls make the final decision, but didn't sound like ACC helped much.
I have no way to know if they pushed or how hard.

But I wanted to play in the Belk Bowl because it was one I could go see. But the fact the Belk Bowl was started to help the NC schools . They have had 16 games , 10 games have been North Carolina schools ( NC , NC State, Duke, or WF ) and 3 time it was schools from Virginia. Fact is that are the 2 states they want facts are facts. As for the ACC when is the last time they helped Georgia Tech ?

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Guys: This is just another obvious indicator to how hard it is for GT to have leverage in the world of big boy CFB. It is ALL ABOUT $$ - if a better bowl thought GT would bring in a lot of $$, GT would have gotten chosen.
Basically any bowl not in the north midwest would get a better GT fan turnout than the Quick Lane Bowl. Then you add in the factor of it being CPJ's last coached game, and you'd definitely have a ton of GT support. It really looks like our bowl pick is an active snub to GT.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Basically any bowl not in the north midwest would get a better GT fan turnout than the Quick Lane Bowl. Then you add in the factor of it being CPJ's last coached game, and you'd definitely have a ton of GT support. It really looks like our bowl pick is an active snub to GT.

Agreed, 100%. But, even when we give a "good GT" turnout, the base that we are pulling from is small compared to larger schools with larger fan bases. I do believe we could have done as well as or better than Virginia at the Belk Bowl, though. I also believe we would outdraw Purdue significantly at the Music City Bowl - that one seems strange to me, but I realize they are not going to put 2 Big Ten teams in the same bowl. Not sure on the Pinstripe bowl, but Miami doesn't travel well at all, so we probably would have outdrawn them as well.

We would not have brought more fans to the military bowl than what VPISU will bring.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Sometimes we all have those times when we must be told why something is a certain way, because everyone else sees it but not us.

I have never been to Detroit. It's a big city with a lot of history. I feel sure the Detroit visitor bureau can come up with many fun and interesting things to do in a short stay. The last I saw before this was Memphis in a bowl in Birmingham. We are playing a major program from a major conference. Memphis had the potential for disaster -- a good football team with no name recognition. Neither fans nor players would have been excited about going to Birmingham to play Memphis, but I'll guarantee Memphis would have been excited to be playing GT. No, it is not going to be warm like south Florida. Is that the main negative? So tell me why this is so bad.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I would rather him say nothing on social media than him post some politically correct bs. He is the only person I have heard that is excited about going to Detroit.

If he were brutally honest and said it's a crap bowl but it was the best we could do because we are 7-5 and don't travel well, he would be rebuked for his honesty with excoriation.
You have to appreciate honesty in order to get it.

Deleted member 2897

Look, I'm annoyed as much as anyone that we dropped so many bowl spots but he has to advertise it because GT is currently $800,000 in the hole for this game (required to buy 8,000 lower level tickets at $100 each). It doesn't help GT for him to pile on and admit the game sounds unappealing. Furthermore, the tickets to the game are already at $40 on StubHub and in order for GT to get out of the hole, people have to buy the $100 tickets from GT itself. Good luck to them

EDIT....

Its not about Minnesota or the Quick Lane Bowl (not replying directly to you). It will be fun for the players, a good bowl, and an intriguing matchup.

The problem is the ACC continues to shaft us AND NOT EVEN OUR OWN PEOPLE WILL STAND UP FOR US. Once again we had extra Bye Weeks on us that we didn't get. Again a bunch of noon games. We've only had 8 or 9 Saturday night games in the last 10-12 years - think about that. All these things adversely affects teams' records and their financial well being (ticket sales are typically 10,000+ higher for a night game than a noon game). Then, we have to watch 5 teams we beat selected to better and closer bowl games than us. Why are we even keeping score?

It was nice what Todd Stansbury said about the Quick Lane Bowl. But he needs to follow that up with a public statement shaming the ACC for not just this, but for a long line of unfair, biased tactics of multiple types against our program over a long period of time.

(In case you're wondering, we're about 0.600 in the ACC over the last 10-12 years. We've only lost 1 single game when we get a Bye but our opponent doesn't - and that was the crazy monsoon game @Miami in 2017 that required a miracle to lose. We're 4-9 when the other team has a Bye against us and we don't. That alone trades us 1 extra win for 1 extra loss EVERY YEAR. And we're 8-1 on Saturday night games. Not getting a fair shake at these things to the same level as other teams in the ACC is utterly ridiculous.)

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I would rather him say nothing on social media than him post some politically correct bs. He is the only person I have heard that is excited about going to Detroit.

He seems like a two faced politician to me. In over his head at GT. Maybe started with good intentions, but realized how much work there is and how the big donors are idiots. Just another guy that will try and save tech but will fail because big money donors are complete morons who think the world still works like it's the 1960s

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
The bowl sucks but there's nothing the AD can do about it and I'm sure there was a private conversation about it. Stansbury would gain nothing by trashing the bowl or the ACC publicly.
There’s a lot the AD could have done about the bowl game selection. Including selling Tech’s program to selection committees; you know, the AD’s job.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The ACC has 'rules' used by the bowls to give them flexibility in team selection. The flexibility was necessary in order to attract more bowls committed to ACC teams. The bowls make the team selections - not the ACC. They do it based on economics and local fan interest. We have a smaller fan base and one that doesn't travel particularly well. If you don't like the 'rules', complain to the ACC.... or win more games. At the end of the day, TStan needs to support whatever bowl selects us in order to minimize our loss on committed ticket sales. Would you rather him do otherwise?
That being said, IMO lower tier bowls are a farce anyway. Most need to just go away or be eliminated, but it probably won't happen as long as the TV networks continue to pay the bill.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
The ACC has 'rules' used by the bowls to give them flexibility in team selection. The flexibility was necessary in order to attract more bowls committed to ACC teams. The bowls make the team selections - not the ACC. They do it based on economics and local fan interest. We have a smaller fan base and one that doesn't travel particularly well. If you don't like the 'rules', complain to the ACC.... or win more games. At the end of the day, TStan needs to support whatever bowl selects us in order to minimize our loss on committed ticket sales. Would you rather him do otherwise?
That being said, IMO lower tier bowls are a farce anyway. Most need to just go away or be eliminated, but it probably won't happen as long as the TV networks continue to pay the bill.
The ACC definitely has the ability to apply pressure to the bowls, esp the lower tier ones.
It bogles my mind that UVa, Wake, BC, and Miami are better draws than us. Only UM has any sort of national rep for TV, and I don't think any will send more fans to a game that we would have.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
The ACC definitely has the ability to apply pressure to the bowls, esp the lower tier ones.
It bogles my mind that UVa, Wake, BC, and Miami are better draws than us. Only UM has any sort of national rep for TV, and I don't think any will send more fans to a game that we would have.

duh U fans in New York? In December? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Even before the bowls were announced, most of the pundits on ESPN, etc were pointing out what a joke the ACC was this year. They particularly poked fun at the "Championship Game" as a complete whiff. If the ACC wants to be respected as an alternative to the SEC, they'll have to do better than just Clemson.

GTFLETCH

Banned
From @jwgiglio

There was confusion about the spots in Tampa and Dallas. The ACC got one or the other, not both. GT doesn’t have that many fans and plays (for one more game) and unappealing style of football (so they slid until the QL Bowl Selected them) . Or I should say an acquired taste in football

GTFLETCH

Banned
So the ACC and GT basically thought they could go to Tampa & Dallas and bypass Detroit??? Once they couldn't Georgia Tech slide to the Quick Lane... and they selected Georgia Tech over BC & Wake.....

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I keep hearing comments about Georgia tech fans not traveling well. Didn’t we have more people than Boston college in Dublin, even though they were the home team. Also, Duke and Miami got better bowls than us, and their fans don’t even travel well to home games. I’m surprised Swofford didn’t try to push to get UNCheat in ahead of us .