TStan Give Some Clarification

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
TStan e mail regarding coach search. Pretty sure, despite statements for HC preference, that most actually realized not to believe what radio stations were saying.

Bowl game? Yes we got screwed by the ACC, and Charlotte and the ACC suck even more now.

I don't know what the member Institutions contracts say, but there may come a point where we need to decline an invite. If possible.

Swofford is a scumbag c..t. I look forward to his next visit to Grant Field.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
http://gatech.fan-one.com/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=aca589e57f4f4df5a0

A lot of "coach speak" and fluff. But at least he's acknowledging our concerns. Makes me feel a little better about his handling of things.

Here's "fluff" ..... "He’s the winningest coach at Georgia Tech since Bobby Dodd, he’s led us to more first- and-second-place finishes in ACC divisional play (7) than every other program besides Clemson (9), Florida State (7) and Virginia Tech (7) ........" Of course Dodd had more wins, he was at GT 21 years and had a much better winning percentage. CPJ only got a bunch of wins since he stayed longer than Gailey or O'Leary. Not because the team performed better.

As to the bowl, it is what it is. He tried and understands we got screwed. I think playing UMinn in Detroit will be ok.

I do like the e-mail I received at 4:35 this afternoon with the above linked info and support whoever TStan selects as head coach.

image.png

GTRoy

Georgia Tech Fan
The email made me feel better about our direction under T-Stan. I think the fact that GTAA saw this chatter and responded is a good thing.

My only worry is about Satterfield. I just feel that he would have been a homerun hire for us. It would be a shame if we didn't even speak to him.

GTRoy

Georgia Tech Fan
Here's "fluff" ..... "He’s the winningest coach at Georgia Tech since Bobby Dodd, he’s led us to more first- and-second-place finishes in ACC divisional play (7) than every other program besides Clemson (9), Florida State (7) and Virginia Tech (7) ........" Of course Dodd had more wins, he was at GT 21 years and had a much better winning percentage. CPJ only got a bunch of wins since he stayed longer than Gailey or O'Leary. Not because the team performed better.

As to the bowl, it is what it is. He tried and understands we got screwed. I think playing UMinn in Detroit will be ok.

I do like the e-mail I received at 4:35 this afternoon with the above linked info and support whoever TStan selects as head coach.

image.png

To be fair, I think averages are difficult. Our schedule is significantly more difficult than it was in the mid-2000s, and the landscape of college football has become significantly more difficult to compete in. Had we hired PJ in 2002 vs. 2007, I think we probably go 50/50 with UGA in the "Gailey" years.

UVA is a significantly better program now. UNC (save the past two seasons) has been good. Duke used to be a complete joke.

Beyond just the ACC, college football has changed dramatically in the past two decades. I do not think the old Gailey teams where we would hold them to 21 and hope for the best, would work out very well.

Just my two cents, of course.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
To be fair, I think averages are difficult. Our schedule is significantly more difficult than it was in the mid-2000s, and the landscape of college football has become significantly more difficult to compete in. Had we hired PJ in 2002 vs. 2007, I think we probably go 50/50 with UGA in the "Gailey" years.

UVA is a significantly better program now. UNC (save the past two seasons) has been good. Duke used to be a complete joke.

Beyond just the ACC, college football has changed dramatically in the past two decades. I do not think the old Gailey teams where we would hold them to 21 and hope for the best, would work out very well.

Just my two cents, of course.
Right on the money re: gailey. I talked with him at a Tech BB game when he didn't know he was about to be fired, and asked whyhe didn't score more. He looked at me and said"my objective is to score a TD and hold the other team to zero.That was his last season when Tech avg. 18.5 pts. p.g.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Could not possibly disagree with you more. Todd, and GT, stand nothing to gain by bashing and blaming. If he is in this for the long haul — and I hope and believe that he is, as he loves GT and wants it to succeed both on and off the field of play — then he needs the conference on his side. Shooting off at the mouth would be seen as immature and idiotic, which it would be. Our AD is a far better man than you give him credit for if you think otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bingo! Always pick you're battles wisely.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
He looked at me and said"my objective is to score a TD and hold the other team to zero.
So by his own standards he only had one game (2006 vs UNC) where he met his own goal. I mean our D was pretty good during Gaileys tenure so no disrespect there... a lot of games where we held the opposition to < 10 points. God, looking back, those were some pretty boring seasons. Probably why I only remember a handful of games (Auburn, Clemson, 2006 VT, ND x2, loss to Matt Ryan in ATL) from the Gailey era.

(There was a Duke game where we only gave up a safety...)

Deleted member 2897

Guys: This is just another obvious indicator to how hard it is for GT to have leverage in the world of big boy CFB. It is ALL ABOUT $$ - if a better bowl thought GT would bring in a lot of $$, GT would have gotten chosen.

Our attendance was higher than Virginia’s attendance this year.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
How did the Belk bowl's Twitter poll turn out? I read somewhere on here that we were doing pretty well, everyone wanted us vs Auburn. Why did they even bother if they were going to go with Uva the whole time? I hope people called them out for that be.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

image.png
Interesting. Tech football seems to separate into epochs. 1904-1966 The Golden Era, 1995-present The Silver Era, and 1967-1994 (minus the 1990 outlier) The Crap Sandwich.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
TStan has not said that he offered, or planned to offer, CPJ a contract extension which was rejected.

If he was thinking a "Hall of Fame" coach should sign guys without support for the years of the recruit's career, then he should say so.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. Tech football seems to separate into epochs. 1904-1966 The Golden Era, 1995-present The Silver Era, and 1967-1994 (minus the 1990 outlier) The Crap Sandwich.
Or the Pre Heisman era from 1892-1903 where GT went 10-32-5 under head coaches

E.E. West
Leonard Wood
Leonard Wood and Frank O Spain
J.B. West
J.B. Wood
Rufus B. Nailey
Harris T Collier
John McKee
George Andree
Oliver Huie

3Bees

Georgia Tech Fan
When we complain about how the program is treated or perceived we need to remember one thing. The value of the program is based mostly on the fans. How big and rabid a fan base is determines bowls, TV, and ssdly how hard the NCAA might come down on you. The biggest achievement of any AD is not the facilities he built or how many coaches he hired. Its how many fans he brought in.

I have come to believe that for Tech to rise it starts with our fans. Fill the stadium up win or lose and we will get 3:30 kickoffs and better bowls. Why? Because we will be a very attractive program to a really good coach and the money will roll in.

Showing your unhappy by not buying tix and not showing up to games actually hurts more than it helps. An apathetic fanbase is not attractive to coaches or recruits. We (the fans) have more power when we show up than when we giveup.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
How did the Belk bowl's Twitter poll turn out? I read somewhere on here that we were doing pretty well, everyone wanted us vs Auburn. Why did they even bother if they were going to go with Uva the whole time? I hope people called them out for that be.
Over 70% chose GT for ACC. Over 70% chose Auburn for SEC. The closest to GT was Pitt at like 7 or 8%.

Belk had no intention of caring what the poll said. They are apparently doing an interview (they call them AMA on reddit) on Thursday to give people insight on the bowl selection process.