Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I think you sell them on the idea that we are located in a major city that plays P5 schools which will give you the opportunity to have your name circulate around big time programs. Basically, prove to them that you were overlooked. We are in the heart of SEC country. If they play well, they'll get noticed by the better programs (think Jahmyr Gibbs). You also have FSU, Miami, and Clemson that you play who would try to attract that big time player. Not to mention the tv games we play.

To counter, I think you lean on your culture and your David Curry types who aren't going anywhere to change their mind to stay. Sure, you can put a plug in to stay, but let the fans, city, culture, and program do the convincing for you. If they decide to go, then the plan moves right along like it's suppose to. If they decide they love GT and want to stay, well now you have a big time player who your team can rally around. Get enough of them to stay, and now you've got a great program to supplement each year instead of having to restock.
So we are saying recruit 3 star guys that the high dollar schools don't want, with the promise that they can prove them wrong? Develop them for two year and then they transfer out. I doesnt sound much different than the last 15 years, except now we lose the guys that develop into something special. What am I missing?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is an interesting idea. VA HS Coach is going to run 2 Transfer Portal showcases where SA's in the portal can come and get verified testing data and an opportunity to go through drills.

Glover said one of the biggest issues with the portal is the majority of athletes who enter lack film and verified testing data. This echoes something a FBS Director of Player Personnel told 247Sports earlier this year: “If you’re going to take a kid it’s one of two criteria: They were productive at a previous stop or you knew them prior. That’s about it. … If you don’t know them and they weren’t productive, you’re taking a guy who went to some place and flamed out.”

“You dispel the myth of, ‘I’m in the portal because I don’t want to compete,'” Glover said. “That may be true for some guys who thought they’d go somewhere and thought they’d start and then jumped in. But for some guys that’s not the case. You’re going to have to come out here and compete. Line up across from the guy opposite of you and compete in front of the coaches. We’re giving you a chance.”

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
we should be doing to smaller schools across the country what Bama, Ole Miss etc are doing to us- cherry pick their best players

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
we should be doing to smaller schools across the country what Bama, Ole Miss etc are doing to us- cherry pick their best players
We've done a little of that last year, how did it work out for us, I ask I don't really know, just know we took some from supposedly lesser programs. K. White I guess we're still waiting to see the answer, the rest I'm just not familiar.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Some of the guys in the portal were previously injured and didn't see the field but were once highly rated. Never know for sure how bad the injury was and how well it was rehabbed. Chance of getting a player that will never see the field again and that's why they were run off. I doubt if NCAA let's a team do physicals or review medical records. It is a crap shoot just like recruiting high school kids. You don't really know what you have until on campus. A few like Gibbs are proven and no major injuries. No brainer for Bama.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We've done a little of that last year, how did it work out for us, I ask I don't really know, just know we took some from supposedly lesser programs. K. White I guess we're still waiting to see the answer, the rest I'm just not familiar.
We’ve picked up some guys who were leaving their schools already, what i’m talking about is building a NIL war-chest and going out and poaching star players (like Ole Miss did to Ivey) from smaller schools who have shown they are WAY better than their competition and surrounding. Schools where upgrading to GT and the ACC are an exciting prospect.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer

Preston Lavant, a former three-star linebacker from Crisp County in Cordele, Georgia, redshirted in 2021 and didn’t see the field. Lavant is the fifth transfer portal entrant and eighth total linebacker loss for Pitt.

The portal giveth, and apparently at Pitt, taketh away.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Preston Lavant, a former three-star linebacker from Crisp County in Cordele, Georgia, redshirted in 2021 and didn’t see the field. Lavant is the fifth transfer portal entrant and eighth total linebacker loss for Pitt.

The portal giveth, and apparently at Pitt, taketh away.

I am most surprised their WR Addison has not transferred to Bama or Ohio state to make some big NIL money.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope this is gravy...I though we were ok at DT. Is he more of strongside DE? Maybe we aren't getting Biggers back soon enough?
I forgot that Biggers was injured! He was walking around and looked in good spirits at the spring game so I can only hope he’s back soon! Need our big run stopper punt blocker back!

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
We seem to take guys in the portal that are hurt and of the ones that come in hurt seems to me none have worked out. K White, seems like two OLs that were hurt and never worked out. My memory could be wrong on this. White is still alive and we'll see how that ends up.
Someone that knows better straighten me out.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Ehh, Kirby and Clayton didn’t work out.

Cochran, Ryan Johnson, southers did. Pendley was playing some but unfortunate medical.

Keion we will have final verdict this season.

Makius Scott and the Memphis dude should be out there a lot this season.

All of the db’s seem to have gotten in the mix. Kenyatta seems to be healthy again and should be a factor.

I guess fair verdict would say mixed bag.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Ehh, Kirby and Clayton didn’t work out.

Cochran, Ryan Johnson, southers did. Pendley was playing some but unfortunate medical.

Keion we will have final verdict this season.

Makius Scott and the Memphis dude should be out there a lot this season.

All of the db’s seem to have gotten in the mix. Kenyatta seems to be healthy again and should be a factor.

I guess fair verdict would say mixed bag.
I mean Ryan johnson was better than grabbing someone out of the dorms, but…