Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
At least we are looking like an upscale shopping center.
Come to gt .
You are only 2 steps from NFL.
I understand what you're saying, but for discussion's sake, why don't we buy into this? If we don't start ponying up some real NIL money, this is what the college football landscape will look like. Why not go ahead and embrace what is starting to happen and create a system that says come to GT and play against P5 talent. Get some film on you against good competition, prove you belong, and go get payed at a bigger school. Then we constantly reload each year with overlooked talent that just needs a place to showcase their skills. Supplement that with a few bigger name guys each year and become a proving grounds for these guys. Over time, if the plan works, we could hold on to some of the big name guys and start building something stable.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we are in a transition phase now. I believe we're likely to see some restraints put on the transfer portal. I think they'd like to put some constraints around NIL, but that will be very difficult. The rich will get richer, and competition will suffer. Some fans will lose interest.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I understand what you're saying, but for discussion's sake, why don't we buy into this? If we don't start ponying up some real NIL money, this is what the college football landscape will look like. Why not go ahead and embrace what is starting to happen and create a system that says come to GT and play against P5 talent. Get some film on you against good competition, prove you belong, and go get payed at a bigger school. Then we constantly reload each year with overlooked talent that just needs a place to showcase their skills. Supplement that with a few bigger name guys each year and become a proving grounds for these guys. Over time, if the plan works, we could hold on to some of the big name guys and start building something stable.
Interesting idea.

I’m not sure, however, that this doesn’t end up being a bad attempt at “bait and switch.” We say “Come to Georgia Tech; you don’t have to stay” and then say, “Never mind, we really didn’t mean it, we just wanted to get you here anyway we could.”

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
This transfer window has pretty much cemented my take on Collins/the admin and boosters treatment of Tech football. We aren't going to be able to hold on to good players at all unless we start winning, and we've already dug ourselves a big *** hole on that front over Collins tenure. I highly doubt that we magically change our tune on booster donations, and that will lead directly into a brick wall of **** with the way that the NIL landscape is developing. Can't wait for this season to be the nail in the coffin honestly. I think this is going to be a really rough ride of a year, and it will probably be one of the barest in the stands that we have seen in long long time. The inflow to outflow ratio of talent has been ****ing horrible. And the worst part is I can't even blame the guys who have left.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting idea.

I’m not sure, however, that this doesn’t end up being a bad attempt at “bait and switch.” We say “Come to Georgia Tech; you don’t have to stay” and then say, “Never mind, we really didn’t mean it, we just wanted to get you here anyway we could.”
I think you sell them on the idea that we are located in a major city that plays P5 schools which will give you the opportunity to have your name circulate around big time programs. Basically, prove to them that you were overlooked. We are in the heart of SEC country. If they play well, they'll get noticed by the better programs (think Jahmyr Gibbs). You also have FSU, Miami, and Clemson that you play who would try to attract that big time player. Not to mention the tv games we play.

To counter, I think you lean on your culture and your David Curry types who aren't going anywhere to change their mind to stay. Sure, you can put a plug in to stay, but let the fans, city, culture, and program do the convincing for you. If they decide to go, then the plan moves right along like it's suppose to. If they decide they love GT and want to stay, well now you have a big time player who your team can rally around. Get enough of them to stay, and now you've got a great program to supplement each year instead of having to restock.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This transfer window has pretty much cemented my take on Collins/the admin and boosters treatment of Tech football. We aren't going to be able to hold on to good players at all unless we start winning, and we've already dug ourselves a big *** hole on that front over Collins tenure. I highly doubt that we magically change our tune on booster donations, and that will lead directly into a brick wall of **** with the way that the NIL landscape is developing. Can't wait for this season to be the nail in the coffin honestly. I think this is going to be a really rough ride of a year, and it will probably be one of the barest in the stands that we have seen in long long time. The inflow to outflow ratio of talent has been ****ing horrible. And the worst part is I can't even blame the guys who have left.
The only little thin reed of hope I cling to is that the new coaches will work a miracle and some of the younger players suddenly blossom. Personnel-wise, we were doing okay until recruiting ground to a halt during our 6-game losing streak to end the season, and then the transfers of some of our best players. Time ran out. I would like to know what would have happened had we made coaching changes a year sooner.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am not saying that your idea is bad, nor that i disagree with it. But we are then the equivalent of a junior college who happens to be and play in a P5 conference. Might work except for one thing....if you have constant churn of younger OL and DL guys, you never get that kind of player like Gotsis or Attaochu who were impact players as upperclassmen much more than they were as FR and Soph's. We didn't know how good Shaq Mason was as an underclassman either. We know how bad line play affects us....we have seen it multiple times is the last 12+ years.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I think you sell them on the idea that we are located in a major city that plays P5 schools which will give you the opportunity to have your name circulate around big time programs. Basically, prove to them that you were overlooked. We are in the heart of SEC country. If they play well, they'll get noticed by the better programs (think Jahmyr Gibbs). You also have FSU, Miami, and Clemson that you play who would try to attract that big time player. Not to mention the tv games we play.

To counter, I think you lean on your culture and your David Curry types who aren't going anywhere to change their mind to stay. Sure, you can put a plug in to stay, but let the fans, city, culture, and program do the convincing for you. If they decide to go, then the plan moves right along like it's suppose to. If they decide they love GT and want to stay, well now you have a big time player who your team can rally around. Get enough of them to stay, and now you've got a great program to supplement each year instead of having to restock.
If you sell Tech as a “stop” and not a “destination”, you condemn yourself to mediocrity.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I like the players we have brought in much more than the players we have lost except, of course, for Gibbs. I think the
Portal is a great thing for GT.
Well, Gibbs, Ivey, Walker, and Domineck all landed at SEC schools. Quick, Tchio, Harvey, Gee, and Benson are the only incoming guys with similar credentials (even on paper) and none like Gibbs.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If you sell Tech as a “stop” and not a “destination”, you condemn yourself to mediocrity.

Not that I am arguing for either position, but since Tech left the SEC, our record is 358-13-9. We have won52.5% of our games. During that 58 year time frame we have only won 70% or more of our games in a season 9 times. We have been mediocre with a few brief respites of greatness for almost 6 decades now.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">What a great weekend in ATL 🍑 Nothing like being around family 🖤<br>God is good all the time, and all the time God is good 🙏🏽<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/4the404?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#4the404</a> 🐝 <a href="https://t.co/i20Mv4nsIS">pic.twitter.com/i20Mv4nsIS</a></p>&mdash; Mike Daniels (@Mike_CoachD) <a href="">February 28, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

For those looking for some good transfer news, Paris Johnson, OL from Ohio State visited Tech recently based on this Twitter post from his stepfather, Coach Mike Daniels. In one photo (above) Johnson is looking good in GT gear alongside Paul Tchio and what looks like graduate assistant coach Nathan Brock. My understanding is that Johnson graduates from OSU this Spring. I don't know for sure that he has any interest in transferring to Tech, just reading the tea leaves. Johnson was a consensus 5-star, ranked the #9 player in the 2020 class by 247 (#1 at OT) and #21 (#3 OT) by Rivals. If here were to transfer here, he would be the highest-rated recruit to ever play at Tech based on high school ranking and would have 3 years eligibility remaining. He has not been a bust in college either, but unfortunately, OSU has had him playing guard which apparently is not his preferred position.

Who is his step dad?
IDid cgc hire him?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I like the players we have brought in much more than the players we have lost except, of course, for Gibbs. I think the
Portal is a great thing for GT.
Given the state of out OL, the best hope as far as the transfers go is that Tchio and Quick will develop into solid starters.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not that I am arguing for either position, but since Tech left the SEC, our record is 358-13-9. We have won52.5% of our games. During that 58 year time frame we have only won 70% or more of our games in a season 9 times. We have been mediocre with a few brief respites of greatness for almost 6 decades now.

The record should have read 358-315-9. I didn't catch the error until after the edit window expired.

My apologies.