Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Mike Daniels is Georgia Tech's running backs coach
the post from Daniels said - "good to be around family". Daniels came from Ohio area. The ol recruit is from Ohio State. maybe we could let him play ot?
i had heard this rumor a few months ago.
Glad to see him on campus.

Reminds me of the time cpj and sewak went to Louisiana to close the deal on a OT recruit whose brother was a one of our players. Came up empty - but brought home a ol guy - LEE would made a number of starts.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I like the players we have brought in much more than the players we have lost except, of course, for Gibbs. I think the
Portal is a great thing for GT.
With all due respect, how can you make that judgement ? Hall looks like a player, possibly Benson and Gibson. Seriously, what PROVEN performers have we added ? The Tchio and Quick OL duo better be good , because they are going to probably play right away. I don't "dislike" the guys we brought in, but right now all is see is potential and possibility with them.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
With all due respect, how can you make that judgement ? Hall looks like a player, possibly Benson and Gibson. Seriously, what PROVEN performers have we added ? The Tchio and Quick OL duo better be good , because they are going to probably play right away. I don't "dislike" the guys we brought in, but right now all is see is potential and possibility with them.
On paper it looks like the outflow is greater than the inflow, but who knows? We'll find out this season.
I'm hopeful of Tchio and Quick, but that's as far as it goes right now - hope.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
On paper it looks like the outflow is greater than the inflow, but who knows? We'll find out this season.
I'm hopeful of Tchio and Quick, but that's as far as it goes right now - hope.
Don’t really get your “paper”. Granted Gibbs is a star and Ivey has potential to be a star, but Walker and Dominick are very ordinary and easily replaced. Every one of our portal ins have the potential to be stars. Certainly, not all will be, but I would bet we get more stars than the one or possibly two stars we lost. In addition, we lost Gibbs for one year. We gained players for 3-4 years.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Don’t really get your “paper”. Granted Gibbs is a star and Ivey has potential to be a star, but Walker and Dominick are very ordinary and easily replaced. Every one of our portal ins have the potential to be stars. Certainly, not all will be, but I would bet we get more stars than the one or possibly two stars we lost. In addition, we lost Gibbs for one year. We gained players for 3-4 years.
That's a good point that is often overlooked when comparing net gains or losses. Another thing is that some of our transfers out are graduates who may not have been on our roster next year anyway. In the past, we've lost players with eligibility remaining who graduated but were unable to find a home in Tech's graduate programs.

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we are in a transition phase now. I believe we're likely to see some restraints put on the transfer portal. I think they'd like to put some constraints around NIL, but that will be very difficult. The rich will get richer, and competition will suffer. Some fans will lose interest.
Who is this "they" of whom you write?
The NCAA is CFB-dead.... The NCAA runs a basketball tournament...other than that, nothing.
The lid on Pandora's box can never be replaced... portal and NIL is new normal...
Super conference is coming...Top 50 programs... At this time, GT (and Vandy/Duke/usual suspects) is not in that Top 50.
Geoff better blow it up this year with 7+ wins...or, in 2025 and beyond, we will be playing North Dakota State, North Texas State, Northern Illinois, other directional "B" listers...

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA is CFB-dead.... The NCAA runs a basketball tournament...other than that, nothing.
The lid on Pandora's box can never be replaced... portal and NIL is new normal...
Super conference is coming...Top 50 programs... At this time, GT (and Vandy/Duke/usual suspects) is not in that Top 50.
Geoff better blow it up this year with 7+ wins...or, in 2025 and beyond, we will be playing North Dakota State, North Texas State, Northern Illinois, other directional "B" listers...
I don't quite agree. I think we will be playing "Vandy/Duke/Northwestern/Syracuse/UAB/Ga. State/Jackson State/Ga. Southern /Rice/Maryland and Fla. Int'l. We will be lucky to get 6 wins to get a bowl with even that schedule.

Last edited:

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Well... of the three you listed, I don’t like our chances against the Bison or the Huskies. Not sure if the third one is against the Fightin Armadillos, Mean Green or maybe even the Mean Machine?
At any rate, I’m still skeptical that college football keeps its appeal by “downgrading” 2/3 of the FBS. There is no doubt we’re in crazy times and I have a boatload of doubts how we will keep up but I think the “super conference” is just too easy.... it’s going to alienate a lot of fans and kill a lot of programs and pretty soon we’ll just be watching NFL “junior varsity” games. No one outside of the schools involved will care. I’ve been proven to be waaaay out of touch before though...

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
So this is my question. As the SEC begins to look more to the farm system (i.e. other non-SEC P5 schools) to bring in players, does that give schools like GT a better shot at swaying some higher-ranked (4*) high-school kids that the SEC would typically use to stuff the bench because the SEC school poached some of our "better" players?

And I guess the follow-up would be does it really matter if they just spend a year or two at GT before "getting called up to the majors?" Does this become the new "look at all the kids we put in the NFL" argument ("look at all the kids we put in the SEC")?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
So this is my question. As the SEC begins to look more to the farm system (i.e. other non-SEC P5 schools) to bring in players, does that give schools like GT a better shot at swaying some higher-ranked (4*) high-school kids that the SEC would typically use to stuff the bench because the SEC school poached some of our "better" players?

And I guess the follow-up would be does it really matter if they just spend a year or two at GT before "getting called up to the majors?" Does this become the new "look at all the kids we put in the NFL" argument ("look at all the kids we put in the SEC")?
The SEC schools will still have room for the higher ranked 4* guys because they are culling the non performers on their team. Alabama has brought in 3 really high quality transfers. 17 guys transferred from their team. None of which will be a great loss to them.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

To your first question... I just don’t know! :ROFLMAO:
Obviously there are going to be some benefits and I hope we can exploit them. I also hope they outweigh the negatives of having our better performing players poached. For what’s it’s worth, I know the main offender will be SEC, but I think there are going to be other schools that emerge willing to pony up NIL money.
As to your second question / paragraph... heeeellll no! If we are ever touting our ability to place kids in programs we are supposed to be competing with, we’re sunk. If that becomes a recruiting pitch, it’s laughable. If the “super conference” comes, we may be relegated to that but I don’t believe that’s inevitable and I really hope we aren’t making up those marketing materials just yet... :D

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The SEC schools will still have room for the higher ranked 4* guys because they are culling the non performers on their team. Alabama has brought in 3 really high quality transfers. 17 guys transferred from their team. None of which will be a great loss to them.
100% agree with this.

AL brought in 3 transfers and lost 17 and is seen as one of the big winners of the portal - that should tell you all you need to know.

The blue bloods will continue to recruit like blue bloods. Then with the portal and NIL, the ones that don't pan out will move down and they will take the cream of the crop from the second tier schools, widening the difference between the 2.

JacketFan137

Banned
you could say the same thing about our losses aside from gibbs tho. none of the guys that left were regularly having great games. the same people complaining about how we have no pass rush we’re the ones loudest about how big of a deal losing domineck and ivey was.

between 2012-pre 2014 season we lost a lot of guys that we believed were big parts of our program for different reasons and the 2014 team ended up being amazing. can’t ever write off a season in march