Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, he was better than 2/3rds of our lineman on our roster and better than 1/2 the linemen at UT. I would love 2-3 more like him.
That was a sad comment. Every time I saw a replay of our QB being rushed or not having any time to set up it was because Ryan Johnson matadored his DL responsibility. I know he wasn't always to blame, but almost every time they showed the replay in slow motion, it seemed it was Johnson getting beat. I know a bunch of our OL got beat, but he showed up an awful lot of times. I'm not sure I'd want any more like him. Just my personal opinion based on what I saw as a fan who knows little about OL play. If there are OL gurus out there that can talk me off this point, I'm happy to change my opinion. Not dumping on him as a player. He gave us everything he had.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
That was a sad comment. Every time I saw a replay of our QB being rushed or not having any time to set up it was because Ryan Johnson matadored his DL responsibility. I know he wasn't always to blame, but almost every time they showed the replay in slow motion, it seemed it was Johnson getting beat. I know a bunch of our OL got beat, but he showed up an awful lot of times. I'm not sure I'd want any more like him. Just my personal opinion based on what I saw as a fan who knows little about OL play. If there are OL gurus out there that can talk me off this point, I'm happy to change my opinion. Not dumping on him as a player. He gave us everything he had.
I agree on all you came out with! The would be snapped and he looked like wondered what he wanted to know what to do!

JacketFan137

Banned
i watched a lot of the film and i can honestly say he had one of the worst o line performances i can ran recall in the last decade of tech football. i spent most of the season wondering if he had a severe injury he wasn’t mentioning because he had games where he wouldn’t even get a sniff of the edge rusher. his side of the line was what gave us fits all year

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Don’t sell your eyes short. In watching OL play, if it looks like a matador, it is a matador.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Ehh, Kirby and Clayton didn’t work out.

Cochran, Ryan Johnson, southers did. Pendley was playing some but unfortunate medical.

Keion we will have final verdict this season.

Makius Scott and the Memphis dude should be out there a lot this season.

All of the db’s seem to have gotten in the mix. Kenyatta seems to be healthy again and should be a factor.

I guess fair verdict would say mixed bag.
Thanks for filling me in, seems like there was a kid that was an OL that came from a smaller college league, was hurt and did not contribute, don't remember his name- old age

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’m going to add a little fuel to this fire RE: our offensive line last season. Cochran also had his share of “ole” moments. Whenever I saw a DL rush right past I would wonder why he was considered one of our best linemen. I’m also not putting our players down. I just wondered about why the coaches couldn’t get them to jell.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I’m going to add a little fuel to this fire RE: our offensive line last season. Cochran also had his share of “ole” moments. Whenever I saw a DL rush right past I would wonder why he was considered one of our best linemen. I’m also not putting our players down. I just wondered about why the coaches couldn’t get them to jell.
That's the thing - Cochran was one of our best linemen, probably the best. Dunno what kind of coaching he got...

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
This is very rich coming from you.
If anyone else said this, you'd have your pitch fork in hand.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

This is very rich coming from you.
If anyone else said this, you'd have your pitch fork in hand.
At walk up early in year Ryan's dad said he was nursing a knee injury. The plan is he was to only play a little in the game. Some body got injured and he played the whole game.
Maybe the injury acted up.

It's hard to say w ol guys. They can walk ok but can't drive or maybe can't move w power laterally.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
At walk up early in year Ryan's dad said he was nursing a knee injury. The plan is he was to only play a little in the game. Some body got injured and he played the whole game.
Maybe the injury acted up.

It's hard to say w ol guys. They can walk ok but can't drive or maybe can't move w power laterally.
I said in a previous post earlier in the year that it seemed like he was very slow to respond and the DL was by him before he could really react. That could be injury. I hate it that our OL always seems to be hurt.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I said in a previous post earlier in the year that it seemed like he was very slow to respond and the DL was by him before he could really react. That could be injury. I hate it that our OL always seems to be hurt.

One of the biggest issues with the transition was quality OL depth. Injuries exacerbated the issue. Lack of quality OL depth will probably cause major problems this year as well.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
One of the biggest issues with the transition was quality OL depth. Injuries exacerbated the issue. Lack of quality OL depth will probably cause major problems this year as well.
Since this has been an issue since forever, is the problem recruiting, coaching development, retention, injury, or "All of the above" ?

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
I was hopeful CBK was introduced to resolve this issue…in three seasons I do not see marked improvement which is most disappointing and unless the performance level markedly improves this season this current regime's tenur should come to an end…

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Since this has been an issue since forever, is the problem recruiting, coaching development, retention, injury, or "All of the above" ?
Depth has always been and will always be an issue at GT. Positions always most impacted are OL, DL and secondary (remember all the FSU and UGA games where our secondary was just worn down by the end of the game). Despite all the hype we're not a BiGTime program so we don't amass the depth of talent that the bigger schools do - we never will. Got to be smarter and can't set out to beat everyone at the same game.

As for the OL the last two years, yeah, it sure seems like they guys are not being coached up to their potential. Not to say we should have an elite or even top 50% of the conference OL, but our technique and fundamentals are pretty poot - at least that's my layman's observation. CBK may be a great OL coach - we haven't seen any evidence to date of this.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Depth has always been and will always be an issue at GT. Positions always most impacted are OL, DL and secondary (remember all the FSU and UGA games where our secondary was just worn down by the end of the game). Despite all the hype we're not a BiGTime program so we don't amass the depth of talent that the bigger schools do - we never will. Got to be smarter and can't set out to beat everyone at the same game.

As for the OL the last two years, yeah, it sure seems like they guys are not being coached up to their potential. Not to say we should have an elite or even top 50% of the conference OL, but our technique and fundamentals are pretty poot - at least that's my layman's observation. CBK may be a great OL coach - we haven't seen any evidence to date of this.
100%

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

This regime said from the get go we could recruit with the factories. They said they were going to return us to greatness. The reality is we can’t and returning to greatness is laughable, we’re not even mediocre.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
This regime said from the get go we could recruit with the factories. They said they were going to return us to greatness. The reality is we can’t and returning to greatness is laughable, we’re not even mediocre.
The upcoming season will be interesting. Our coaching staff has been handed tough changes with NIL, Transfer Portal, Coaching Merry go round, contracts Time/ $$$ etc.

CGC & CBK have graciously been given a chance to prove their approach can gain traction this next season. I renewed my season tickets in support of the players mostly and buying into the notion leadership can show progress to accomplish some of the hype we have been sold.

It’s actually refreshing for it to be very clear this next seasons measured improvements will be welcomed while hyperbole will be met with a brutal reaction and change…it’s sadly akin to a reality show…

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Quote the factory commit for us please.

You talking outta both sides of your mouth again. In one instance, you didn’t want guys “processed” so younger guys could get the reps but you also expect the OL recruited that are in their 2nd & 3rd yr to be ready as soon they are put in.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Quote the factory commit for us please.

You talking outta both sides of your mouth again. In one instance, you didn’t want guys “processed” so younger guys could get the reps but you also expect the OL recruited that are in their 2nd & 3rd yr to be ready as soon they are put in.

I think this is what is being referred to:

“I know the truth about this place. Somebody asked me how are you going to recruit to Georgia Tech differently than you were at Alabama. I said, ‘(Expletive), it’s going to be easier. It’s going to be so much easier. I’ve got more to offer.’"