Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Many if not most of the portal entries were hardly "warm bodies that are just there". You're getting ridiculous.

don't most teams now lose 1 or 2 "name brand" guys, and a number of lesser known guys, every year in the age of the portal? I think this gets worse each year, for just about everyone.

I hate losing people at work. However, when they choose to leave, I'd just as soon that they go right away. I don't want people hanging around who aren't sure they want to be there. Once they make the decision, so be it. Good luck, good bye, now get out.

We don't know if we'd be better with them. Maybe they had bad attitudes, or maybe they were team captains.

Either way - good luck, good bye, get out. I don't cry for anyone.

PVdad

Georgia Tech Fan
Just meet a man, that came up to me on a cruise because I was was some GT gear. Said he was friends of Zach Pyron's family.
More importantly, he said the we he a good kid, high character, and talented.
We've picked a couple of additional GT fans, hopefully for life.
That’s funny and I’m sure I know exactly who it is, and I haven’t even talked to him. Was he about 6’5 and 350? If it’s him then you just met one of the most awesome guys on this planet. And that dude can sing!

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
The reality is we've lost some starters and some significant depth players on our roster. I would classify Gibbs, Ivey, and Domineck as definite losses, with Walker and Lockhart as good depth players. These losses are somewhat of a setback, but none are crippling to us. We have no one on the roster or coming in that is an apparent replacement for Gibbs in terms of instant production, but as was mentioned earlier, RB is an easier position to get productivity out of with younger players. The DL concerns me most, as we were starting to find some form there last year and Ivey and Domineck were likely to play a lot, with Lockhart getting a lot of snaps in relief. I honestly refuse to call any of our DB transfers a loss based on the sheer dumpster fire that unit was last year.

Personally, other than Domineck, i think a lot of these recent transfers were probably initiated after a heart to heart with the staff. JD wants to go to PT school and will probably transfer down a level to get started. (Valdosta State would be a good option for him)

In the end, we aren't unique in experiencing transfers. This is the new normal for college football. We might as well get used to it.
Domenick has an offer from Penn St

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Most of these guys leaving late are not leaving unless they believe they have decent landing spots. Now, they might be wrong, but my guess is that they were provided some assurances.

On a sidenote, I am still overwhelmed at those that think the success formula looks like this:

99% player
1% coaching

I realize without talent, you cannot win. But, I also realize without top notch coaching, most players will not get close to their potential. And, gameday decisions and strategy are HUGE when your talent is not superior to a great degree.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Most of these guys leaving late are not leaving unless they believe they have decent landing spots. Now, they might be wrong, but my guess is that they were provided some assurances.

On a sidenote, I am still overwhelmed at those that think the success formula looks like this:

99% player
1% coaching

I realize without talent, you cannot win. But, I also realize without top notch coaching, most players will not get close to their potential. And, gameday decisions and strategy are HUGE when your talent is not superior to a great degree.
A disciplined team will beat an undisciplined team every time unless the talent gap is along the order of a pro team verses a high school team.

kalld12

Banned
1st, I think I've made it pretty clear I think Collins sucks and should have never been hired and should have been fired a long time ago - if that is a surprise to you, I don't know why.

2nd. If player A misses a tackle because of poor form/angle/failure to wrap up, the player has made a mistake. The coach's job is to then coach the player on how to take the correct angle/wrap up properly/whatever. If player A makes the same mistake again, he requires further coaching/discipline. If he continues making the same mistake, over and over and over, game after game, there is clearly a disconnect between what the coach is wanting the player to do and what the player is understanding from the coaching he's receiving. The message is not getting through. If other players understand what to do, then maybe this player is just not cut out for playing and someone else should take his spot. If none of the other players understand what to do, the issue is with how the message is being communicated, which is on the coach to figure out how to better communicate. Al Groh is a great example of this. Lots of Tech professors are great examples too - the class average could be a 15/100, and they think "these students are idiots!", and some probably are, but there is a fundamental problem with how they are teaching that the message is not being understood.

3rd, I may be misremembering, but I thought this board frowned on ****ting on players, being that they are amateurs and (relatively) unpaid and busting their *** for our entertainment and all. Coaches are more open game - they are grown *** adults being paid ridiculous amounts of money to achieve the desired results, if they fail to perform they are deserving of criticism. I do not feel one ounce of sympathy for Geoff Collins or any other coach being paid out the *** that fails to perform and gets **** on for it, because he will still be absolutely set for life afterwards. If you'd like to give me a $3M/yr, 7 year contract (hell I'd take just 5 years :)), I'd gladly let you crap all over my performance, and do it with a smile on my face while agreeing with you.
Not going to get into all the back and forth. We can "agree to disagree"!

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer

A disciplined team will beat an undisciplined team every time unless the talent gap is along the order of a pro team verses a high school team.
I completely agree. My alarm bells about this team started going off in year 2, but it was the Covid year, so I tried not to over-react. Then we lost to NIU to open season 3 and my worst fears started coming true. Very little (No) year over year improvement in Discipline( penalties, game management), Details( technique),
or Design(scheme). It's coaching that has been the issue from day one, IMO. And despite tremendous time and money spent on recruiting, it has not been enough to overcome the shortcomings listed above.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
1st, I think I've made it pretty clear I think Collins sucks and should have never been hired and should have been fired a long time ago - if that is a surprise to you, I don't know why.

2nd. If player A misses a tackle because of poor form/angle/failure to wrap up, the player has made a mistake. The coach's job is to then coach the player on how to take the correct angle/wrap up properly/whatever. If player A makes the same mistake again, he requires further coaching/discipline. If he continues making the same mistake, over and over and over, game after game, there is clearly a disconnect between what the coach is wanting the player to do and what the player is understanding from the coaching he's receiving. The message is not getting through. If other players understand what to do, then maybe this player is just not cut out for playing and someone else should take his spot. If none of the other players understand what to do, the issue is with how the message is being communicated, which is on the coach to figure out how to better communicate. Al Groh is a great example of this. Lots of Tech professors are great examples too - the class average could be a 15/100, and they think "these students are idiots!", and some probably are, but there is a fundamental problem with how they are teaching that the message is not being understood.

3rd, I may be misremembering, but I thought this board frowned on ****ting on players, being that they are amateurs and (relatively) unpaid and busting their *** for our entertainment and all. Coaches are more open game - they are grown *** adults being paid ridiculous amounts of money to achieve the desired results, if they fail to perform they are deserving of criticism. I do not feel one ounce of sympathy for Geoff Collins or any other coach being paid out the *** that fails to perform and gets **** on for it, because he will still be absolutely set for life afterwards. If you'd like to give me a $3M/yr, 7 year contract (hell I'd take just 5 years :)), I'd gladly let you crap all over my performance, and do it with a smile on my face while agreeing with you.
Some exaggeration in the 3rd paragraph IMO. But overall, I agree.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
lot of people who have never been involved with football, have an outdated understanding of the game and don’t look at film in here
This is 100% correct. What we "non-expert" fans look at is the won-loss record and how the team looks when it wins or loses. We can usually tell if the team is playing well, not making unforced errors, getting beat by teams that are not traditional powers. Are we often wrong? No. But we cannot tell you which things are causing the problems or how to fix them. And, saying "Fire Geoff Collins" is the easiest thing for most fans to say when they are frustrated with the team they follow.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This is 100% correct. What we "non-expert" fans look at is the won-loss record and how the team looks when it wins or loses. We can usually tell if the team is playing well, not making unforced errors, getting beat by teams that are not traditional powers. Are we often wrong? No. But we cannot tell you which things are causing the problems or how to fix them. And, saying "Fire Geoff Collins" is the easiest thing for most fans to say when they are frustrated with the team they follow.
True, that. I can't tell whether our problems are more coaching or personnel, but it's clear enough that somewhere in the middle lies the truth.
Even great coaching wouldn't have gotten us to 9-3, but we had the talent to do better than 3-9.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Players win games and coaches lose them. Always has been that way to fans.
My take on Collins is that he is one of the guys that thinks outside the box. He probably came up with ideas about how he would do things differently if he became a head coach from recruiting to uniforms to slogans to the way practice was done.
He has improved recruiting some over PJ but we are about on par with the ACC except for Clemson and a revived UNC. So we are more middle of the conference in recruiting rank. So to win above the middle of the pack we have to out coach some of the others. So far he has been a failure with his game management and game preparation skills. I blame a lot of that on his inability to put together a better than average staff. Some were not ready for their positions at a P5 school. He may have underestimated the level of competition he would face even in the ACC. Some of it may have been the way he had organized responsibilities within his staff. The revised staff is more experienced and organized differently than before. I expect improvement there.
This year is his chance to redeem himself as to whether he will continue as a head coach at GT.
If we want fans in the stadium then put a team on the field that our fans feel has a decent chance of winning when the fans make an effort to come to the games.
I feel better now.