Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
One view of this is that we under-achieved due to poor coaching, and better coaches might have won several of the close games we lost. The opposite view is that we over-achieved much of the season due to good coaching and the 0-100 at the end of the season actually reflected the true strength of our team. I am not sure which is more likely.
I'm pretty sure I know which is more likely. Look at temple if you need more proof.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
This is pretty much how I felt until yesterday. It worries me when I see this many guys who have lots of playing time, and are certainly pegged for bigger roles, suddenly leaving in clusters. It's not like the guys coming in are clearly better than the players who are leaving. Why are guys with three years toward a GT degree jumping ship?

Now look at backups logs.

One of the few things the CGC is get a lot guys game reps in competitive games

WDE- Kennard, Sylvain, Collins, Harris
SDE- Robinson, White back healthy
LB- Tatum
DB- Sims, Brooks, King, Brooks, Edwards, Huff, Watson

All these guys got experience vs. teams and should have an understanding what the bar needs to be

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I'm so tired of fans and players being so damn sensitive. Jamious is leaving, and the facts are he didnt live up to expectations. Whether that's coaching or his own personal development, doesn't matter. He's not choosing Tech. People in the know say this move is due to the players we've added to the position, if thats true, were better without him. I dont want anyone on this team afraid of competition. This team is TOO DAMN SOFT as is our coach. Culture shift is needed...BAD! Hope were seeing the early days of that shift!

Way too soft.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Now look at backups logs.

One of the few things the CGC is get a lot guys game reps in competitive games

WDE- Kennard, Sylvain, Collins, Harris
SDE- Robinson, White back healthy
LB- Tatum
DB- Sims, Brooks, King, Brooks, Edwards, Huff, Watson

All these guys got experience vs. teams and should have an understanding what the bar needs to be
Former players, like yourself, certainly have a better read on the internal stuff than fans. From the outside it seems like a worrisome trend. I hope for the best.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well bc they are the ones actually on the field playing. This is not a zero game. Everything is not coaching as y’all proclaim it to be. Many on here speak on here as if the players have no or little responsibility on what has occurred the last 3yrs. The last 7 if we are honest
I am at a loss to know what to blame. I saw a safety this year who hardly ever wrapped up and seemed to always attempt the hard knock-down tackle. He then made the highlights of a senior bowl with a near perfect form tackle. You are much better at actual analysis, but the players in the secondary looked like they didn't know what they were doing all season long. However, some of the time they were still looking at the sideline for the call until after the ball was snapped.

I saw player mistakes. I am sure there were many more mistakes that what I saw. I would not be surprised to learn that there were attitude problems with players. I myself would not say that the players had nothing to do with the results.

However, there was a level of disfunction with the coaching, and the team that was visible in the first game and never seemed to be addressed. I believe you said at some point with regards to the secondary that they were either not being instructed correctly or they were not being disciplined for not following instructions. The secondary coaches were fired at the end of the season. The issues were extremely visible in the first game. Similar to the players, those secondary coaches were either not instructed on how to manage their positions or they were not disciplined for not following instructions until after 12 games. Who is responsible for ensuring that the position coaches work within the system? That guy is still with the team.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Why do you assume this? I don't know that to be true nor do I know it to be false. Another year more experienced doesn't necessarily translate into "better." Ivey is the one guy, other than Gibbs, of all the ones who are leaving that I really think what you say is true. The others? Maybe yes and maybe no. That's my point. I don't know one way or the other and nobody has really said anything that makes the case either way.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I'm just not seeing it as definitively as you seem to.
I'm not seeing anything definitely. I said the season probably would be better with them than without them. Is anyone really glad they left? I wish they had stayed. I was looking forward to seeing them here next year. There's no telling how the season will turn out, but IMO however it does turn out, it probably would have been better with them than without them. Maybe not, but probably. IMO. I'm not saying we won't have a better season next year. There's a lot of hope we will, because of the coaching changes. But if we do have a better season, it may have been even better with them. That's all I'm saying.

And I just pointed out that they all would have another year of experience, and many had significant playing time. Those are both facts. No one knows for sure if they would all have been better, but it's a very good bet that many if not most of them would, IMO.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We can legitimately say we should have won the Miami game - they tried to gift it to us. We played competitive enough where we could have squeaked out an upset in Clemson. But... we also should have lost the Duke game. Our record pretty accurately reflects how we performed - if we were any better than our record it was by no more than 1 game.
No way to know how our record would have turned out, but there's no doubt in my mind that this team was not equal to the sum of its parts.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Well bc they are the ones actually on the field playing. This is not a zero game. Everything is not coaching as y’all proclaim it to be. Many on here speak on here as if the players have no or little responsibility on what has occurred the last 3yrs. The last 7 if we are honest
Everything IS ultimately the responsibility of the coaches. They were hired to do a job and achieve a minimum acceptable level of results. You can say the players suck, and maybe they do, but who's responsible for recruiting and coaching those players to do what is needed? The coaches. If you have an individual who is not taking to your coaching and performing, you replace them with one who is. But if every player is not succeeding with your coaching, you are either bad at picking players or bad at coaching (or both), which are both the coach's responsibility.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Between the coming and going of guys (even if that evens out which is doubtful) and the chaos with a new staff, I find it hard to believe this team will be better --UNLESS--somehow Sims turns into Lil Joe.

kalld12

Banned
Everything IS ultimately the responsibility of the coaches. They were hired to do a job and achieve a minimum acceptable level of results. You can say the players suck, and maybe they do, but who's responsible for recruiting and coaching those players to do what is needed? The coaches. If you have an individual who is not taking to your coaching and performing, you replace them with one who is. But if every player is not succeeding with your coaching, you are either bad at picking players or bad at coaching (or both), which are both the coach's responsibility.
This is true, but I'm not going to sit here and just blame the coaches. If you're going to do that then you have something against CGC or you're just plain stubborn and only want to see one side. The D was atrocious last year, i'm not blaming following basic assignments they've been trained on since pop warner on the coaches. The coaches aren't out there executing a game plan. CGC is to blame yes as hes the HC, BUT im not ignorant enough to say its ALL their fault.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Just meet a man, that came up to me on a cruise because I was was some GT gear. Said he was friends of Zach Pyron's family.
More importantly, he said the we he a good kid, high character, and talented.
We've picked a couple of additional GT fans, hopefully for life.
Zach has got the winning record to be a real asset.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely.Right now to me, unless something changes bigtime, I think we have a 50-50 chance to be 2-10 as opposed to 4-8.
It could go either way, but to my mind the staff improvements are a plus in our favor which may, hopefully, more than cancel out the personnel losses. But that's just a hope.

The great thing about college football is that you just never know. Maybe the new coaches will show us just how underutilized our talent has been these last three years.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
No one has said that.
Ballin has a point though. The coaches can't do it for them. Brings to mind what John McKay once said after an ill advised move from USC to the Tampa Bay Bucs. Asked by a reporter about his team's "execution" said the coach: "I am all for it". I can just imagine the frustration going on the Tech sideline last fall losing games that seemed to be winnable. IIWII

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
It could go either way, but to my mind the staff improvements are a plus in our favor which may, hopefully, more than cancel out the personnel losses. But that's just a hope.

The great thing about college football is that you just never know. Maybe the new coaches will show us just how underutilized our talent has been these last three years.
The coaching changes bought CGC one more year, IMO. He has that year to prove he is a competent coach, because they will have eliminated the last remaining excuse he has ...."I am an elite Head Coach , I just needed a better coaching staff". Of course he could trot out the "we are installing new schemes on both sides of the ball, and that will take time." Or that timeworn phrase, "we are so young", or the popular recent one everybody is using " we got all these new players from the portal that need time to learn our system". I can hardly wait .