Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Ballin has a point though. The coaches can't do it for them. Brings to mind what John McKay once said after an ill advised move from USC to the Tampa Bay Bucs. Asked by a reporter about his team's "execution" said the coach: "I am all for it". I can just imagine the frustration going on the Tech sideline last fall losing games that seemed to be winnable. IIWII
Oh, I agree that "everything is not coaching". I just disagree with the "...as y'all proclaim it to be" part.
But I do think our problems have been exacerbated by bad coaching; yes, I do.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
agree with your first point. either we are scouting poorly to begin with, or we’re bad at development (which i would say is the issue).

unfortunately at this point a lot of these guys are what they are in some positions. i play in a lot of dynasty fantasy football leagues where you draft rookies. i keep up with the draft a lot and historically WR, RBs and edge rushers kinda are what they are in a lot of cases. guys suddenly becoming great is not very common. QB is the one position where things may suddenly click and there’s a huge uptick in production.

also i’m not sure we have to be 3 years away to win. it’s within the range of outcomes that this team is decent this season. we don’t know who comes in or leaves from our school or opponents in the next 6 months. as we have seen with how hectic the coaching carousel and transfer portal is, college football can change really fast.
I hate to say it but there is a lot of pressure on Sims to be much, much, better than he has shown thus far and now there is no Gibbs to lean on. It might help if he could get the ball and have a couple of seconds to actually look downfield.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well bc they are the ones actually on the field playing. This is not a zero game. Everything is not coaching as y’all proclaim it to be. Many on here speak on here as if the players have no or little responsibility on what has occurred the last 3yrs. The last 7 if we are honest

I don't know why any of this seems shocking anymore. I am fully convinced that half of our fanbase will be diametrically opposed to whomever is hired and will vociferously impugn him at every opportunity. CGC may or may not be the answer for GT in the long run, but he was never given much of a chance by a large portion of our online fans.

JacketFan137

Banned
The, we didn't win much with these guys here so we won't miss them when they are gone notion seems pretty short sighted. We might as well get rid of everyone if that is the case and just build an entire team from the transfer portal every year until we magically win 9 games. What could go wrong? Personally I think coaching has been a much more substantial problem for us then our players. Especially the productive ones. Gibbs is going to win more games at Alabama next year than he would have in 4 years at GT. I guess that means he will be helping them win where as he apparently wasn't helping us win.
you’ve drawn such a false equivalence here it’s ridiculous. gibbs is not the player people are referring to when they say that. you can see him in almost every comment with the poster saying “gibbs was a terrible loss” in some form or fashion.

it’s when you look at the rest of the transfers and actually look what they’ve done it has for the most part been unimpressive

JacketFan137

Banned
Well bc they are the ones actually on the field playing. This is not a zero game. Everything is not coaching as y’all proclaim it to be. Many on here speak on here as if the players have no or little responsibility on what has occurred the last 3yrs. The last 7 if we are honest
i’m glad other people see this. some of that is still on collins both for not recruiting correctly and not developing/improving players enough. maybe collins also didn’t create an environment that made people scared to fail.

that being said some of the things we did on the field and the fact that none of these players are getting snatched up by good teams kinda tells you they weren’t good to begin with and maybe more suited for a lower classification of football.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
you’ve drawn such a false equivalence here it’s ridiculous. gibbs is not the player people are referring to when they say that. you can see him in almost every comment with the poster saying “gibbs was a terrible loss” in some form or fashion.

it’s when you look at the rest of the transfers and actually look what they’ve done it has for the most part been unimpressive
If you look at them one by one, it's probably true that no one of them is a loss we can't compensate for (except Gibbs).
But if you step back and look at the losses in totality, you have to be able to see the forest for the trees. Taken together, we've had a serious drain on talent and depth. It isn't catastrophic, but it is concerning.

JacketFan137

Banned
If you look at them one by one, it's probably true that no one of them is a loss we can't compensate for (except Gibbs).
But if you step back and look at the losses in totality, you have to be able to see the forest for the trees. Taken together, we've had a serious drain on talent and depth.
depth shouldnt mean warm bodies that are just there. if they were quality depth they would have found teams for spring practice. honestly might be a good thing new coaches have come in and told them the reality that everybody’s spot is up for grabs. maybe that will get the players that stayed to focus and work harder

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
depth shouldnt mean warm bodies that are just there. if they were quality depth they would have found teams for spring practice. honestly might be a good thing new coaches have come in and told them the reality that everybody’s spot is up for grabs. maybe that will get the players that stayed to focus and work harder
Many if not most of the portal entries were hardly "warm bodies that are just there". You're getting ridiculous.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

The reality is we've lost some starters and some significant depth players on our roster. I would classify Gibbs, Ivey, and Domineck as definite losses, with Walker and Lockhart as good depth players. These losses are somewhat of a setback, but none are crippling to us. We have no one on the roster or coming in that is an apparent replacement for Gibbs in terms of instant production, but as was mentioned earlier, RB is an easier position to get productivity out of with younger players. The DL concerns me most, as we were starting to find some form there last year and Ivey and Domineck were likely to play a lot, with Lockhart getting a lot of snaps in relief. I honestly refuse to call any of our DB transfers a loss based on the sheer dumpster fire that unit was last year.

Personally, other than Domineck, i think a lot of these recent transfers were probably initiated after a heart to heart with the staff. JD wants to go to PT school and will probably transfer down a level to get started. (Valdosta State would be a good option for him)

In the end, we aren't unique in experiencing transfers. This is the new normal for college football. We might as well get used to it.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
This is true, but I'm not going to sit here and just blame the coaches. If you're going to do that then you have something against CGC or you're just plain stubborn and only want to see one side. The D was atrocious last year, i'm not blaming following basic assignments they've been trained on since pop warner on the coaches. The coaches aren't out there executing a game plan. CGC is to blame yes as hes the HC, BUT im not ignorant enough to say its ALL their fault.
1st, I think I've made it pretty clear I think Collins sucks and should have never been hired and should have been fired a long time ago - if that is a surprise to you, I don't know why.

2nd. If player A misses a tackle because of poor form/angle/failure to wrap up, the player has made a mistake. The coach's job is to then coach the player on how to take the correct angle/wrap up properly/whatever. If player A makes the same mistake again, he requires further coaching/discipline. If he continues making the same mistake, over and over and over, game after game, there is clearly a disconnect between what the coach is wanting the player to do and what the player is understanding from the coaching he's receiving. The message is not getting through. If other players understand what to do, then maybe this player is just not cut out for playing and someone else should take his spot. If none of the other players understand what to do, the issue is with how the message is being communicated, which is on the coach to figure out how to better communicate. Al Groh is a great example of this. Lots of Tech professors are great examples too - the class average could be a 15/100, and they think "these students are idiots!", and some probably are, but there is a fundamental problem with how they are teaching that the message is not being understood.

3rd, I may be misremembering, but I thought this board frowned on ****ting on players, being that they are amateurs and (relatively) unpaid and busting their *** for our entertainment and all. Coaches are more open game - they are grown *** adults being paid ridiculous amounts of money to achieve the desired results, if they fail to perform they are deserving of criticism. I do not feel one ounce of sympathy for Geoff Collins or any other coach being paid out the *** that fails to perform and gets **** on for it, because he will still be absolutely set for life afterwards. If you'd like to give me a $3M/yr, 7 year contract (hell I'd take just 5 years :)), I'd gladly let you crap all over my performance, and do it with a smile on my face while agreeing with you.

JacketFan137

Banned
The reality is we've lost some starters and some significant depth players on our roster. I would classify Gibbs, Ivey, and Domineck as definite losses, with Walker and Lockhart as good depth players. These losses are somewhat of a setback, but none are crippling to us. We have no one on the roster or coming in that is an apparent replacement for Gibbs in terms of instant production, but as was mentioned earlier, RB is an easier position to get productivity out of with younger players. The DL concerns me most, as we were starting to find some form there last year and Ivey and Domineck were likely to play a lot, with Lockhart getting a lot of snaps in relief. I honestly refuse to call any of our DB transfers a loss based on the sheer dumpster fire that unit was last year.

Personally, other than Domineck, i think a lot of these recent transfers were probably initiated after a heart to heart with the staff. JD wants to go to PT school and will probably transfer down a level to get started. (Valdosta State would be a good option for him)

In the end, we aren't unique in experiencing transfers. This is the new normal for college football. We might as well get used to it.
yeah i’ll have to see what walker and lockhart do after leaving to know for sure what they could have been. they definitely heard some footsteps behind them on the depth chart and that was why they left.

other than that i agree and that’s kind of what i’ve been saying for a while

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Why are you referring to yourself as "people" and "the poster"? You are the one making these statements.