Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Some of these Portal losses are concerning for sure, but the only way I see Geoff Collins being fired before the end of next season due to poor performance is if TStan and the big donors believing that we already have a worthy replacement on staff and somehow think it’s worth eating the full $7M buyout to make the changes before the end of the season. And for everyone who says the donors are already willing to eat the buyout to fire Collins, where was that generosity when it came to erasing other Athletic Department debts that could have given us a bigger yearly budget?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
i mentioned it before in a thread, but you don’t get to say our team is horrible and is the worst tech team ever and then when the players that MADE THAT HAPPEN leave, you come around and act all upset about it. gibbs, ivey and domineck i’ll give as losses even though ivey and domineck were more potential than production.

again though, the rest of the guys include a lot of people that literally haven’t seen the field, guys that were like rotational guys and none of them are ending up at good schools anyway. outside of the three guys when all of these transfers end up at FCS schools and MAYBE g5 schools are we still gonna act like it’s some drastic loss when they aren’t even capable of playing at a p5 level?

and this is not absolving collins at all. some of this falls squarely on him for not developing these guys and maybe just having a poor eye for talent to begin with. certainly isn’t using players correctly that’s for sure

i just think acting like it’s time to panic NOW is dumb considering it’s been at rock bottom for a while

edit: when i say you i don’t mean you specifically i meant everyone
You... not you, the collective you, meaning everyone except me. Just say “all y’all” for clarity. ;)

Just kidding. Point taken. I don’t think anyone is really bent out of shape about any of these guys individually, it’s just the volume. Honestly, I think this is the portal... it’s not atypical this year and we certainly aren’t unique. But we’re losing games and people wanna scream right now.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
i mentioned it before in a thread, but you don’t get to say our team is horrible and is the worst tech team ever and then when the players that MADE THAT HAPPEN leave, you come around and act all upset about it. gibbs, ivey and domineck i’ll give as losses even though ivey and domineck were more potential than production.

again though, the rest of the guys include a lot of people that literally haven’t seen the field, guys that were like rotational guys and none of them are ending up at good schools anyway. outside of the three guys when all of these transfers end up at FCS schools and MAYBE g5 schools are we still gonna act like it’s some drastic loss when they aren’t even capable of playing at a p5 level?

and this is not absolving collins at all. some of this falls squarely on him for not developing these guys and maybe just having a poor eye for talent to begin with. certainly isn’t using players correctly that’s for sure

i just think acting like it’s time to panic NOW is dumb considering it’s been at rock bottom for a while

edit: when i say you i don’t mean you specifically i meant everyone
Boy you sure do love ****ting on our players though.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
And for everyone who says the donors are already willing to eat the buyout to fire Collins...
The only place I actually saw that reported was in the AJC. I believe it was paraphrasing an anonymous "booster insider". I don't know if that "booster insider" had actual information. I don't know if the AJC reported it correctly. I don't know if maybe they had raised enough to pay the buyout, but not to pay a new coach to come in. I don't believe that report has enough information or credibility to make conclusions about what happened.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
The only place I actually saw that reported was in the AJC. I believe it was paraphrasing an anonymous "booster insider". I don't know if that "booster insider" had actual information. I don't know if the AJC reported it correctly. I don't know if maybe they had raised enough to pay the buyout, but not to pay a new coach to come in. I don't believe that report has enough information or credibility to make conclusions about what happened.
I think I agree with all you said (typed). Posters who try to say what the “big donors” or the “moneymen” think are almost comical. They are very sure of themselves, with little clue of what the real situation is.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Boy you sure do love ****ting on our players though.
Yeah, he’s pretty brutal on our players.

I come at this a little differently. I can’t think of a single player on our team who was coached into their full potential. That’s what’s sad to me. None of our players got the teaching, coaching and development they were promised when they agreed to come to Tech. Squandered talent and players who now may never reach their potential. If I were a parent I might be a little bitter over the false advertising that brought my son to Tech.

But, yeah, let’s throw the players under the bus. That’s what sports sites like this are for, right? Let’s take out all our frustration by hating on the players.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, if he stepped down, CGC would be a stand-up guy indeed. But the only reason he wasn't fired after last year was the $7 million. Firing him halfway through next year would mean we'd have the worst of both worlds. We'd have an awful season and lose the $7 million we tried to save by keeping him around another season. And it would be $7 million we could offer to the next HC.

But like I said, if there's a total meltdown, that could happen. And with each portal entry, that unlikely scenario is becoming more and more plausible.

Unfortunately, the wishful thinking I see around here is that these departures mean little and don't hurt us.
Not 100% true. The money was there. ADTS decided not to spend it, but the money was there. A poor start and the money will be there then as well...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Not 100% true. The money was there. ADTS decided not to spend it, but the money was there. A poor start and the money will be there then as well...
But theoretically he'll have $7 million more if he waits out the season to make a move.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe the culture CGC sold to these players has been significantly changed by the incoming coaches and/or TStan. Also for these guys with 3 or more years to play, why stay through a coaching change just to have another likely coaching change the next year. Seems like sound decision making, unfortunately.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
But theoretically he'll have $7 million more if he waits out the season to make a move.
But if we lose more than $7M in goodwill over another 2-3 win season, then are we better off ? The money was there (according to sources) to bite the bullet. We start 1-4 and the money will be there again and then some....

JacketFan137

Banned
Yeah, he’s pretty brutal on our players.

I come at this a little differently. I can’t think of a single player on our team who was coached into their full potential. That’s what’s sad to me. None of our players got the teaching, coaching and development they were promised when they agreed to come to Tech. Squandered talent and players who now may never reach their potential. If I were a parent I might be a little bitter over the false advertising that brought my son to Tech.

But, yeah, let’s throw the players under the bus. That’s what sports sites like this are for, right? Let’s take out all our frustration by hating on the players.
i 1000% agree that these players weren’t coached the best, scouted the best and prepared the best. that’s firmly on the plate of collins and the coordinators.

that being said it’s a two way street. players also have to play well and live up to expectations. i think some of the guys may not have been mentally prepared for what college football is like and the portal has just added to the incentive to punt and give up on a run at playing for a school that isn’t giving you playing time and isn’t doing well.

collins being a clown doesn’t really excuse some of the fundamental errors our guys consistently made in some games

i’m probably a little harsher on the players than i should be and i think some people are harsher on the coach than they should be in regards to this. reality is probably somewhere in the middle.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
That's the biggest concern - depth is always a problem. Maybe we bring in great quality from the portal to help out, but as we have discussed ad nauseum, results have been mixed there. For all that aren't that upset by our transfer departures (and you may be right) you also have to acknowledge that we may be getting other teams "meh" in what we are bringing in. The depth thing is a real thing - we never have enough and we have less than we did.

I wonder if other teams' fans will be going "meh" when they get these guys?

JacketFan137

Banned
You have been deriding people who have said we are at rock bottom for several months now. When was the time to panic? Northern Illinois? Citadel?
i can’t deny that this is rock bottom when it’s probably the worst stretch in tech history

at the same time i don’t think this is as much of a complete and utter disaster as some act and i think that we aren’t quite as far away from being a functional football team as some people act. it would not surprise me if our new coach arrives and rights the ship fairly quickly. i think we at least have some quality players that have come in that a competent coach could build around

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
If I was a decision maker with regards to this situation, I would take a good hard look at mid season or earlier firing (since that's what everyone is calling for) and figure out the pro and cons here.

Personally, short of making a strong push at renegotiating (heavily) the buyout, I would definitely not make a decision on CGC until the end of the season. Not really sure how things could get much worse.

Looking at the two options (to me) and possible outcomes:

1) heavy renegotiation of buy out. We pay a much lower price to agree to part ways.

Why would CGC accept this? If he has any hope if becoming a head coach again soon, he takes this route. Given the trajectory of hc salaries at major programs, if he can go somewhere small after here and prove he's not a bad hc, he can then move to a bigger program and make more than the remainder of his payout here.

2) let him coach the remainder of the season

Scenario one, everyone is pleasantly surprised and things finally click here (always a possibility no matter how bleak things look now) think the end of 2013 season vs 2014 (highly doubt we get that result no matter what, but a significant improvement, say 8 wins shouldn't be impossible).

Scenario two, CGC loses the locker room, and everything goes to hell. People in these situations often make stupid mistakes/decisions leading to some sort of firing for cause, in which case GT is off the hook for the rest of the contract.
I personally don't know how I feel about this. It's ok theoretically, as long as it is a legitimate reason to fire for cause and not a UT type deal of just being scummbags, not honoring a contract.

Hoping for pleasant surprise, or parting of ways via buyout renegotiation.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
i can’t deny that this is rock bottom when it’s probably the worst stretch in tech history

at the same time i don’t think this is as much of a complete and utter disaster as some act and i think that we aren’t quite as far away from being a functional football team as some people act. it would not surprise me if our new coach arrives and rights the ship fairly quickly. i think we at least have some quality players that have come in that a competent coach could build around
Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure there is any response since only a couple of the guys who left us for the portal have even landed at another P5 let alone a G5 school.
If an average player leaves AFTER spring practice and he didn’t impress and he is not going to get significant PT in the upcoming season, his marketability to another program is worse than if he leaves before spring practice, when he arguably still has the “potential” to have impressed in spring practice had he participated, allowing him to argue he would have had significant PT in the upcoming season.

JacketFan137

Banned
If an average player leaves AFTER spring practice and he didn’t impress and he is not going to get significant PT in the upcoming season, his marketability to another program is worse than if he leaves before spring practice, when he arguably still has the “potential” to have impressed in spring practice had he participated, allowing him to argue he would have had significant PT in the upcoming season.
at the same time i could see how a coach would look at a guy who left earlier as a quitter who is scared of competition. maybe as an fcs program i would accept a p5 reject with open arms but if i’m another p5 coach and this kid basically wants guaranteed playing time idk if i have that for a guy that wasn’t a star on a 3-9 team and he is ducking competition in spring ball