Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
This portal thing is so ***. Turning these kids into flakes. Leaving at the drop of a hat.

Seems like there are no teams anymore, just football groups with individual players sniffing for any reason to bail at any given moment.

Just imagine the new NCAA football video game coming out in the next few years. You’d be playing a season with Tech and all of a sudden your best RB leaves for Bama lmao. I’d be so mad 😂

JacketFan137

Banned
They plan on hitting the portal hard. Also, I don’t think the staff anticipated this many transfers just before spring practice
i think post spring practice the portal is gonna go absolutely bananas. i think kids that get passed on depth charts are gonna head for the hills quickly and there will be an opportunity to acquire more talent. i also wouldn’t be surprised to see more people leave

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
If your very best friend in the whole wide world opened a restaurant, and sank his life savings into that restaurant, and you really, really, really wanted to support your friend, but your friend hired a chef that couldn’t cook, and, in fact, put out food that would gag a maggot, and your friend knew that but couldn’t bring himself, for whatever reason, to get another chef, would you keep patronizing his restaurant, just to be a loyal friend?
I get your POV, but what does continuing to b-itch about Collins really achieve right now. It's not like we can b-itch him out of being HC . All were doing is bringing moral down even lower, and players see that .
I get both sides , people are upset at Collins for were we are at, but he's he next year for the time being . Least we can do is support the players and try to help keep them at tech

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
All were doing is bringing moral down even lower, and players see that .
I seriously doubt that many players are paying much attention to GTSwarm. If you really want to talk about things that have affected the moral of the team, look at the massively red COFH game.

If you really want to make a difference, don't worry about trying to convince people not to be frustrated. Try to convince people to continue buying season tickets. There are some on this board who have had season tickets for decades who have said they are not going to renew this year. Convince them to continue to get tickets and be at BDS in September (MBS for the first game). Worrying about what people are saying instead of what they are doing seems misguided to me. Also, basically telling people to shut up is more likely to push them towards not getting tickets, just to totally get away from the program.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Right now on paper we have alot more production leaving through the portal than coming in from the portal, I think that is what concerns fans, We have 2 transfers who clearly transferred up - Gibbs and Ivey.

The issue is we are losing alot of players who played significant snaps -even if for a bad team - and have very few players coming in who have played significant snaps at a P5 level.

For me, here are the main ones so far
Gibbs- 11 starts in 12 games, All-Conference, was the #1 rated RB in the portal. 150 all purpose ypg.
Ivey - stated all 11 games he played, 3rd on team in TFL, 2nd on team in QB hurries.
Domineck - 8 starts in 12 games, 1st in sacks, 4th TFL
Walker - 8 starts in 10 games, 6th in tackles, 2 pass breakups
Yates - 6 starts in 8 games played, 6 TD passes (3 INT), 2 rush TD
Sanders - 6 starts in 11 games, 4th in yds rec and receptions, 2nd in rec TD (3)
Lockhart - 2 starts in 12 games, had 9 tackles, 1/2sack, 1.5 TFL
(this does not include 8 other players who have transferred out since the beginning of the season but really didn't contribute this year)

Even if we get better play from some of the unproven youngsters and transfers in, we are still looking scary in terms of depth.

Compare that with what is coming in
Hassan Hall - totaled 1,299 rushing yds over his career primarily as a backup RB. Starting KR with over 2300 return yds.
Zach Gibson - Played in 17 games over 3 seasons 226-370 with 15 TD's and 8 INT's, but is moving up from one of the worst G5 programs to a P5 program.
Luke Benson - 3rd Fr all-America at TE in 2019. This year he started 3 games and appeared in 11 with 5 receptions for 22 yds. For his career has 19 receptions, 261 yds and 5 TD.
Paul Tchio - played in 14 games with 1 start over 2 seasons at Clemson. About 200 snaps total.
Pierce Quick - played in 8 games over 3 yrs at AL with just a handful of snaps.
Ahmari Harvey - did not play as a FR
Khari Gee - did not play as FR.

Hopefully we can get some more players in the portal this Spring.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, he’s pretty brutal on our players.

I come at this a little differently. I can’t think of a single player on our team who was coached into their full potential. That’s what’s sad to me. None of our players got the teaching, coaching and development they were promised when they agreed to come to Tech. Squandered talent and players who now may never reach their potential. If I were a parent I might be a little bitter over the false advertising that brought my son to Tech.

But, yeah, let’s throw the players under the bus. That’s what sports sites like this are for, right? Let’s take out all our frustration by hating on the players.
It’s kind of the same bunch that believes ‘cruitin is all that matters that also believes the impact of coaching & discipline & strategy is minimal.

JacketFan137

Banned
Right now on paper we have alot more production leaving through the portal than coming in from the portal, I think that is what concerns fans, We have 2 transfers who clearly transferred up - Gibbs and Ivey.

The issue is we are losing alot of players who played significant snaps -even if for a bad team - and have very few players coming in who have played significant snaps at a P5 level.

For me, here are the main ones so far
Gibbs- 11 starts in 12 games, All-Conference, was the #1 rated RB in the portal. 150 all purpose ypg.
Ivey - stated all 11 games he played, 3rd on team in TFL, 2nd on team in QB hurries.
Domineck - 8 starts in 12 games, 1st in sacks, 4th TFL
Walker - 8 starts in 10 games, 6th in tackles, 2 pass breakups
Yates - 6 starts in 8 games played, 6 TD passes (3 INT), 2 rush TD
Sanders - 6 starts in 11 games, 4th in yds rec and receptions, 2nd in rec TD (3)
Lockhart - 2 starts in 12 games, had 9 tackles, 1/2sack, 1.5 TFL
(this does not include 8 other players who have transferred out since the beginning of the season but really didn't contribute this year)

Even if we get better play from some of the unproven youngsters and transfers in, we are still looking scary in terms of depth.

Compare that with what is coming in
Hassan Hall - totaled 1,299 rushing yds over his career primarily as a backup RB. Starting KR with over 2300 return yds.
Zach Gibson - Played in 17 games over 3 seasons 226-370 with 15 TD's and 8 INT's, but is moving up from one of the worst G5 programs to a P5 program.
Luke Benson - 3rd Fr all-America at TE in 2019. This year he started 3 games and appeared in 11 with 5 receptions for 22 yds. For his career has 19 receptions, 261 yds and 5 TD.
Paul Tchio - played in 14 games with 1 start over 2 seasons at Clemson. About 200 snaps total.
Pierce Quick - played in 8 games over 3 yrs at AL with just a handful of snaps.
Ahmari Harvey - did not play as a FR
Khari Gee - did not play as FR.

Hopefully we can get some more players in the portal this Spring.
the one thing i would say is some of the transfers you mention coming in without in game experience were from teams that are significantly better than us and i don’t think many of our current players would see playing time on those teams anyway.

i’m interested to see where the departures end up. i am not quite sure they’re all gonna end up on better teams. aside from the obvious 2 and maybe domineck.

ultimately i think the recent transfers have to do with new coaches coming in and the new recruits/transfers. i also think we have to understand this attrition might steadily become the new normal in college football too. at least for the foreseeable future. i have a feeling that after the hundreds of FBS players that are unable to find a team after entering the portal, players might realize entering the portal without an exit strategy is a bad idea

CEB

Helluva Engineer
i also think we have to understand this attrition might steadily become the new normal in college football too. at least for the foreseeable future. i have a feeling that after the hundreds of FBS players that are unable to find a team after entering the portal, players might realize entering the portal without an exit strategy is a bad idea
Agree with this completely. The portal seems to have really taken off this year and it’s not unique to us. I hope it tapers off... it’s good for some kids to have this option but I think it will prove to be a bad option for most.

JacketFan137

Banned
Agree with this completely. The portal seems to have really taken off this year and it’s not unique to us. I hope it tapers off... it’s good for some kids to have this option but I think it will prove to be a bad option for most.
yeah i think the extra eligibility year due to covid in 2020 is gonna have a weird lingering effect on college football for a while too. i think people realize now they might have 2-4 years of eligibility left when they previously would have had less. taking the risk to transfer with 1 year of eligibility is a little dangerous but with a few years left why wait for an opportunity? also who’s to say you don’t re enter the portal and find your way back on a better team than the one you left? what if i’m at tech i transfer to georgia southern and play well and now i get a call from a florida or kentucky or insert-other-p5-school? i feel like that might play out too

i think this is gonna be a bizarre era and adapting to the portal is gonna be the most important thing for all coaches going forward and we might look back at this off-season as just the beginning of the craziness

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if other teams' fans will be going "meh" when they get these guys?
What would you think if you got guys with modest production from a very bad team. Likely meh. Gibbs is clearly different of course at Alabama they may go meh, we have 4 other guys at his position as talented.

JacketFan137

Banned
What would you think if you got guys with modest production from a very bad team. Likely meh. Gibbs is clearly different of course at Alabama they may go meh, we have 4 other guys at his position as talented.
gibbs isn’t going to bama to ride the bench and is already being rated as the RB2 in the 2023 draft class by many analysts, only behind bijan robinson who is a very special player. he would be rb1 easily this year if he was eligible for the draft.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
It would be delusional to try and spin this any other way than a sinking ship. Putting a positive light on this is like dressing up a prize hog for the beauty contest. I agree wholeheartedly with NE that the coaching these guys have gotten has been sub-par.

My experience working with guys that remind me of Collins is that those people who are initially enamored with his personality are quickly turned off when he is put in a position of pressure. Now, I realize since I don't personally know Collins, this is just a theory.

I also would not be surprised if some of the coaches that left for other jobs have or are saying things to some of these guys about the "uncertainty" that we keep seeing in these transfer entries' posts.

JacketFan137

Banned
It would be delusional to try and spin this any other way than a sinking ship. Putting a positive light on this is like dressing up a prize hog for the beauty contest. I agree wholeheartedly with NE that the coaching these guys have gotten has been sub-par.

My experience working with guys that remind me of Collins is that those people who are initially enamored with his personality are quickly turned off when he is put in a position of pressure. Now, I realize since I don't personally know Collins, this is just a theory.

I also would not be surprised if some of the coaches that left for other jobs have or are saying things to some of these guys about the "uncertainty" that we keep seeing in these transfer entries' posts.
let’s breakdown who left from the team starting in november towards the end of the season

big 3 is gibbs, ivey and domineck. while i don’t think ivey and domineck are superstars by any means i understand that it hurt they left
khaya wright- 7 appearances total in 2 years for tech. 0 sacks 0 tackles career. not a big loss, still in the portal

jordan yates- played when sims is injured. pyron coming in behind him. wasn’t gonna win the starting job in a million years. not a big loss, still in the portal

jamal camp- 0 playing time. redshirted year 1 and couldn’t find playing time year 2. not a big loss, still in the portal

tony amerson- 0 playing time. redshirted year 1, played only on special teams in 2020. no game time in 2021. not a big loss, still in the portal

jaquon griffin- 33 appearances over 4 years, 45 tackles. was a decent run stuffer but wasn’t really a starter or high production guy. has committed to coastal. would also add we had one of our best DT classes ever coming in so maybe was getting a little nervous about playing time. nothing irreplaceable here

chayden peery- never played. couldn’t beat out jordan yates. pyron coming up behind him and gibson coming in as well. not a big loss still in the portal
adonicas sanders- i understand why this was a little bit contested in my previous comments about him not being a contributor. made a few plays and came up massive against duke. flashed potential but i’m just not sure he’s some fantastic player. still in the portal
michael lockhart- 25 games in 3 years. 28 tackles. not really a weekly starter and seemed like more of a rotation guy. nothing irreplaceable. not a big deal

wesley walker- interesting case. very jack of all trades master of none. not a guaranteed starter but started 13 games the last two seasons. was in the defensive backfield and we all know what that looked like. kinda 50/50 on this one. interested to see where he ends up. have no issues with our defense being a hard reset after being one of the worst ever

jamious griffin- not bad by any means but again, look at who’s coming in. jamious never really impressed and made any plays. he was in a very talented backfield and was like the 4th choice plus he got injured. in general rb production is more dependent on the o line in some cases anyway so improving that at all will probably make up that difference. not really a big loss

it’s not a positive by any means. collins is definitely responsible for some of these players not living up to expectations, but for the most part these are easily recoverable losses

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
gibbs isn’t going to bama to ride the bench and is already being rated as the RB2 in the 2023 draft class by many analysts, only behind bijan robinson who is a very special player. he would be rb1 easily this year if he was eligible for the draft.
Can’t fault a kid going to Alabama. He was clearly our best player. He will not be Alabama’s best player. He may win an NC though.

JacketFan137

Banned
Can’t fault a kid going to Alabama. He was clearly our best player. He will not be Alabama’s best player. He may win an NC though.
idk if he’ll be their BEST player considering they are returning the heisman winner but he is certainly going to feature in that offense and be a focal point. he will standout wherever he plays

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think we should stop recruiting HS players. We should focus on Freshmen and RS Freshmen that are transferring. We can pick up excellent talent that isn't getting to start right away and all of these Portal transfers will have used their 1 free transfer. Then, if they want to transfer from GT, they have to sit. This way we don't have to worry about losing all our stellar talent to bigger programs.

JacketFan137

Banned
I think we should stop recruiting HS players. We should focus on Freshmen and RS Freshmen that are transferring. We can pick up excellent talent that isn't getting to start right away and all of these Portal transfers will have used their 1 free transfer. Then, if they want to transfer from GT, they have to sit. This way we don't have to worry about losing all our stellar talent to bigger programs.
that might be part of the future. look at ole miss. they cleaned up the portal. if they’re successful other teams will follow suit