Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

JacketFan137

Banned
There are strong indications we are about to lose another big player to the portal. (Big potential, not a lot of PT so far)

I don't have confirmation of this, but indications are that the locker room is close to critical mass right now. Could be new staff settling in and making some waves, or could be total meltdown in progress. Nothing to do but wait and see how this plays out.
scared to jinx again but i will be really sad if it’s blackburn. he looked WAYYY better than our other WRs at spring practice before he got hurt.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
scared to jinx again but i will be really sad if it’s blackburn. he looked WAYYY better than our other WRs at spring practice before he got hurt.
Was going to say blackburn as well. Dude looked like our next Darren Waller on film. But sounds like Jamious again which is.....whatever. Good luck to him.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Wait....Jamious again??!?! Ok I guess

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office
Maybe the portal is becoming the equivalent of training camp hold outs... I’m going to the portal and you had better come with some NIL if you expect me to come for spring practice!

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
From a list dated 3/2/21 put together by someone connected to The Swarm I counted 24 DLs listed, think it included WOs also. After adding Lockett and Miles to that list it is now down to 14. I used the new roster from rambliwreck site to check against, if it is not exactly right then I could be off a little. Seems like most teams carry 12-14 DLs.
Something tells me we're going to increase our size across the front 4 unless they have an outstanding ability and/or quickness. Some of the younger ones may have the frame to get much bigger, and in that case maybe they stay with us.
I saw I missed a Jason Moore, thought he was an OL but see he's listed as DL, so he probably needs to be added to the numbers. He's a new name to me, is he a walk on, anyone know?

Last edited:

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Idk what to think about all of this NIL **** anymore. Recruiting doesn't even matter, it's who can you hold on to now. Basically have to recruit your roster at all times. And if Jamious is going back in after going in initially, then saying he was back, now he's out again....this is dumb.

JacketFan137

Banned
Was going to say blackburn as well. Dude looked like our next Darren Waller on film. But sounds like Jamious again which is.....whatever. Good luck to him.
if it’s jamious that’s unfortunate but again he didn’t look like anything spectacular in his given opportunity. dontae looked a lot better last season so i’m guessing this was another conversation about standing on the depth chart and griffin wants a more guaranteed role

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I keep seeing people saying stuff like this and I wonder why. What in the world makes anybody think that GT is the type of school that would be firing a football coach mid season? How often does this happen overall in college? Those that can/do it are in a much different financial situation than Tech. I don't think it matters what happens this season, CGC will be on the sideline the entire time. There may be a move after the season but I am just having a hard time seeing a world in which it happens mid season.
The reason you see this stuff is some (mostly older fans just don't like him or his ways of coaching or as they see it not coaching).
As for Tech would not fire a Head coach mid season maybe they forgot 1993 and B** L****. Now I don't think it would happen this time but it has happen. The real reason those people that made it happen are no long with us.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
The portal has taken a lot of the fun of college football away. You used to be able to see a guy get recruited, and wonder about how he'd develop, then root for him as he progressed. Now, you see a guy get recruited and just wonder how long he'll be around. I'm no longer loyal to them as many of them have zero loyalty to the program. While I'm probably just being an old guy in saying this, I don't think it will turn out for the best for college football and, long term, for the athletes. I do know that we aren't in Kansas anymore...the only question is are we in St. Thomas or Haiti now?

JacketFan137

Banned
The portal has taken a lot of the fun of college football away. You used to be able to see a guy get recruited, and wonder about how he'd develop, then root for him as he progressed. Now, you see a guy get recruited and just wonder how long he'll be around. I'm no longer loyal to them as many of them have zero loyalty to the program. While I'm probably just being an old guy in saying this, I don't think it will turn out for the best for college football and, long term, for the athletes. I do know that we aren't in Kansas anymore...the only question is are we in St. Thomas or Haiti now?
part of me feels like it’s good for the players but so many kids are entering the portal it’s getting out of hand. there’s no way they’re gonna be able to all find schools and they’re gonna end up at much lower tier schools

JacketFan137

Banned
Sounds to me like the locker room is tired of taking the heat for the poor coaching.
may be the case for some guys particularly domineck and ivey but lockhart for example was like a rotational guy at best. walker, according to one of our writers, had conversations with the coaches and they weren’t exactly glowing reviews of the season. makes sense coming off one of the lowest graded pass defenses in recent history.

i think the portal today is so accessible some kids were probably told that it’s an open competition and they just said screw it and left. especially with this timing right before spring practice

TwinTownTony

Jolly Good Fellow
There's no coincidence that this is coming as a cluster and it times with the dead period and impending start of spring practice. My guess is conversations with the coaching staff that is now on campus and evaluating the players that they have inherited. If this means that spring practices are more efficient because the coaches are more focused on the players that they actually see getting PT, then that might be a good thing. Maybe giving everybody equal reps in practice instead of focusing on those most likely to get the majority of playing time is no longer a priority.

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
that seems likely with guys leaving prior to spring practice. have a feeling there was meetings with players and they were told the honest truth. at least for the guys leaving right now
It appears that this new set of coaches will be able to actively coach their players without conforming to former restrictions. In my opinion we have needed more tough coaching in this program. Football players are tough individuals who respond to tough demands. I look for significant improvement, especially on defense.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I know the most recent departures have come from the DL mainly but I am curious if the new mentality that Chip Long alluded to in his interview is playing into any of this. Just curious. Chip said the demand on the players would be an adjustment and if they wanted to make a good impression it started in the weight room. I know I am reaching here because he is OC and not DL coach but just curious if his mentality is spreading.