Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Why are so many of you guys upset about any of this? We have lost 1.5 legit D1 players (Gibbs and Ivey is half). All these other guys are just meh. I’m suppose to be upset that gooey Lockhart is leaving? Dude needs more butter for all those rolls. And Walker? He can’t even get to the butter because he’s always burnt toast. Seriously, some of these couldn’t beat out players who never should have seen the field so I’m not upset at all. We’ve picked up about as many we have lost so I’m ready to see what guys who are hungry can do. Sure, our coaches have sucked, but I haven’t seen one coach have a WR run by them before they turn to run. I’m not even upset about any coach leaving. Choice was a stud recruiter but he’ll be back one day. Coleman never should have been hired in the first place. And the Temple guys were just Collins hype men. I’m still more upset that we let Moore go to South Carolina than I am over any coach or player leaving outside of Gibbs. And if I were Gibbs I would have left as well if I had a Bama offer in my pocket.
Ivey was growing into his potential and Jordan Domineck was a pretty disruptive rush end at times.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer

that seems likely with guys leaving prior to spring practice. have a feeling there was meetings with players and they were told the honest truth. at least for the guys leaving right now
I like the idea of a culture change for this team. For 3 years all we have seen is "weight room warriors" and mediocre play on the field that the HC wanted us to believe was somehow "elite". The "feel good, while failing" culture has to change this season. One more year of ineptitude would mean any new coach we could attract will demand an even longer contract for having to clean up the mess left by CGC.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I like the idea of a culture change for this team. For 3 years all we have seen is "weight room warriors" and mediocre play on the field that the HC wanted us to believe was somehow "elite". The "feel good, while failing" culture has to change this season. One more year of ineptitude would mean any new coach we could attract will demand an even longer contract for having to clean up the mess left by CGC.

All right, but if you go too far you're gonna be thin as hades. Especially on the lines.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
All right, but if you go too far you're gonna be thin as hades. Especially on the lines.
That's the biggest concern - depth is always a problem. Maybe we bring in great quality from the portal to help out, but as we have discussed ad nauseum, results have been mixed there. For all that aren't that upset by our transfer departures (and you may be right) you also have to acknowledge that we may be getting other teams "meh" in what we are bringing in. The depth thing is a real thing - we never have enough and we have less than we did.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I keep seeing people saying stuff like this and I wonder why. What in the world makes anybody think that GT is the type of school that would be firing a football coach mid season? How often does this happen overall in college? Those that can/do it are in a much different financial situation than Tech. I don't think it matters what happens this season, CGC will be on the sideline the entire time. There may be a move after the season but I am just having a hard time seeing a world in which it happens mid season.
Two words. Bill Lewis.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We'd have to have a meltdown the size of Chernobyl to fire Geoff midseason. It would cost what, $7 million?
I’ll just put this here.

CGC leaving in the middle of the season is being called “wishful thinking” by some on here. That flies in the face of everything that has been said the last couple of years. No one wants CGC to fail. No one. But lots of people have lost confidence including some of the players. Rather than throw young players under the bus it makes more sense to me to take a hard look at the adult professional in the room. He was the one responsible for recruiting, developing and teaching these young people to be a team. The buck stops with him.

Here’s what I see. We all hope this is the season that the magic happens, that CGC finally turns things around. But being the adult professional he is he will not just run out the clock this year to collect a pay check. If we don’t have a winning record after five games, and we look as incompetent as we have the last three years, CGC will step down and Long will finish the season.

We are not going to blow up another full season without taking decisive action. Count on it.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’ll just put this here.

CGC leaving in the middle of the season is being called “wishful thinking” by some on here. That flies in the face of everything that has been said the last couple of years. No one wants CGC to fail. No one. But lots of people have lost confidence including some of the players. Rather than throw young players under the bus it makes more sense to me to take a hard look at the adult professional in the room. He was the one responsible for recruiting, developing and teaching these young people to be a team. The buck stops with him.

Here’s what I see. We all hope this is the season that the magic happens, that CGC finally turns things around. But being the adult professional he is he will not just run out the clock this year to collect a pay check. If we don’t have a winning record after five games, and we look as incompetent as we have the last three years, CGC will step down and Long will finish the season.

We are not going to blow up another full season without taking decisive action. Count on it.
The last few days have not been encouraging. That is certain. I thought we would lose some guys who could see the handwriting after Spring practice, but losses before it begins means these guys don't plan to be around no matter how well they might place in the depth chart.

JacketFan137

Banned
The last few days have not been encouraging. That is certain. I thought we would lose some guys who could see the handwriting after Spring practice, but losses before it begins means these guys don't plan to be around no matter how well they might place in the depth chart.
This sentiment may have been true before the portal, but now I think if theres even a chance you might lose your spot kids want to just dip.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I’ll just put this here.

Well, if he stepped down, CGC would be a stand-up guy indeed. But the only reason he wasn't fired after last year was the $7 million. Firing him halfway through next year would mean we'd have the worst of both worlds. We'd have an awful season and lose the $7 million we tried to save by keeping him around another season. And it would be $7 million we could offer to the next HC.

But like I said, if there's a total meltdown, that could happen. And with each portal entry, that unlikely scenario is becoming more and more plausible.

Unfortunately, the wishful thinking I see around here is that these departures mean little and don't hurt us.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That's the biggest concern - depth is always a problem. Maybe we bring in great quality from the portal to help out, but as we have discussed ad nauseum, results have been mixed there. For all that aren't that upset by our transfer departures (and you may be right) you also have to acknowledge that we may be getting other teams "meh" in what we are bringing in. The depth thing is a real thing - we never have enough and we have less than we did.
I think we are in wishful thinking mode right now. All the guys leaving the program? They weren’t really any good. All the players coming into the program? Quality players, upgrades, diamonds in the rough and loaded with potential.

Sometimes wishes do come true. Let us hope. But in the meantime we are no longer even relying on objective evidence to pronounce that things will be fine.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well, if he stepped down, CGC would be a stand-up guy indeed. But the only reason he wasn't fired after last year was the $7 million. Firing him halfway through next year would mean we'd have the worst of both worlds. We'd have an awful season and lose the $7 million we tried to save by keeping him around another season. And it would be $7 million we could offer to the next HC.

But like I said, if there's a total meltdown, that could happen. And with each portal entry, that unlikely scenario is becoming more and more plausible.

Unfortunately, the wishful thinking I see around here is that these departures mean little and don't hurt us.
Funny, I just posted before reading this that we are in wishful thinking mode.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think we are in wishful thinking mode right now. All the guys leaving the program? They weren’t really any good. All the players coming into the program? Quality players, upgrades, diamonds in the rough and loaded with potential.

Sometimes wishes do come true. Let us hope. But in the meantime we are no longer even relying on objective evidence to pronounce that things will be fine.
Who has ever posted any of that? We are losing meh players for sure and probably getting in meh players. But any change is positive because we were the worst GT team since the 80’s. we are in the middle of a lost decade for GT football and are just running out the clock for another 3-4 seasons until the next coach has his players.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Who has ever posted any of that? We are losing meh players for sure and probably getting in meh players. But any change is positive because we were the worst GT team since the 80’s. we are in the middle of a lost decade for GT football and are just running out the clock for another 3-4 seasons until the next coach has his players.
I have no idea whether our players were meh or not. Hard to tell when they haven’t been coached in three years.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Personnel wise, I don't believe we are the worst GT team since the '80's.
I do believe we have been for the last three years the worst coached GT team in my lifetime, and that includes B*** L****.

I have hope for the transfers, but I think it's sugar coating to say the players we're losing won't be missed.
We've lost some of our most important players off both the offense and defense.

JacketFan137

Banned

i mentioned it before in a thread, but you don’t get to say our team is horrible and is the worst tech team ever and then when the players that MADE THAT HAPPEN leave, you come around and act all upset about it. gibbs, ivey and domineck i’ll give as losses even though ivey and domineck were more potential than production.

again though, the rest of the guys include a lot of people that literally haven’t seen the field, guys that were like rotational guys and none of them are ending up at good schools anyway. outside of the three guys when all of these transfers end up at FCS schools and MAYBE g5 schools are we still gonna act like it’s some drastic loss when they aren’t even capable of playing at a p5 level?

and this is not absolving collins at all. some of this falls squarely on him for not developing these guys and maybe just having a poor eye for talent to begin with. certainly isn’t using players correctly that’s for sure

i just think acting like it’s time to panic NOW is dumb considering it’s been at rock bottom for a while

edit: when i say you i don’t mean you specifically i meant everyone

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
The portal has taken a lot of the fun of college football away. You used to be able to see a guy get recruited, and wonder about how he'd develop, then root for him as he progressed. Now, you see a guy get recruited and just wonder how long he'll be around. I'm no longer loyal to them as many of them have zero loyalty to the program. While I'm probably just being an old guy in saying this, I don't think it will turn out for the best for college football and, long term, for the athletes. I do know that we aren't in Kansas anymore...the only question is are we in St. Thomas or Haiti now?
The portal, CGC, NIL,