Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Have we ever gotten a diamond in the rough as a transfer, even pre-portal era? Has anyone? Somebody way down on the depth chart or coming from a lower division that exploded for us?

It's not impossible from high school, with the shear number of kids playing, guys developing at different rates, different levels of competition, training, etc. You'll naturally have guys who don't get noticed much and end up lowly rated or unrated. But guys in the portal have already gotten an opportunity at the collegiate level and there are a lot fewer of them than high school players so you can more easily compare their body of work.
Jordan Usher

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Have we ever gotten a diamond in the rough as a transfer, even pre-portal era? Has anyone? Somebody way down on the depth chart or coming from a lower division that exploded for us?

It's not impossible from high school, with the shear number of kids playing, guys developing at different rates, different levels of competition, training, etc. You'll naturally have guys who don't get noticed much and end up lowly rated or unrated. But guys in the portal have already gotten an opportunity at the collegiate level and there are a lot fewer of them than high school players so you can more easily compare their body of work.

Anthony Allen worked out very well for us. Tashard Choice was no slouch either. I am sure there are others.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
College coaches are telling HS players to take a hike. They are not needed. USC is one phone call away from an outlaw school. Soon SMU will be saying than god for Southern Cal. Many of this portal players will never attend a class at their transfer school.
Basketbsll, move over.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
College coaches are telling HS players to take a hike. They are not needed. USC is one phone call away from an outlaw school. Soon SMU will be saying than god for Southern Cal. Many of this portal players will never attend a class at their transfer school.
Basketbsll, move over.
SMU what? Please say more. I am missing your train of thought somehow.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Basketbsll, move over.
I don't understand the post. Can you elaborate?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Anthony Allen worked out very well for us. Tashard Choice was no slouch either. I am sure there are others.
Neither of them were really diamonds in the rough though - Choice was tabbed to be the starter at Oklahoma over AP until he got injured preseason. Allen had plenty of playing time as another poster already mentioned.

Jordan Usher
I'm talking about football.

John Dewberry
Admittedly I'm not old enough to have seen him play, and I know he transferred from UGA where he was a backup, but was he actually low on the depth chart, or did he just get asked to "hand the ball off good as ****" like another recent UGA backup qb?

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Basketbsll, move over.
Is this a reference to SMU and the death penalty in football. Is it thank god for USC?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Neither of them were really diamonds in the rough though - Choice was tabbed to be the starter at Oklahoma over AP until he got injured preseason. Allen had plenty of playing time as another poster already mentioned.

Admittedly I'm not old enough to have seen him play, and I know he transferred from UGA where he was a backup, but was he actually low on the depth chart, or did he just get asked to "hand the ball off good as ****" like another recent UGA backup qb?
Re: Dewberry

OK internet, tell him.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
SMU what? Please say more. I am missing your train of thought somehow.
SMU got the death penalty in 1987 when nine Texas oilmen were funneling huge amounts of cash to their players with the knowledge of many SMU administrators and 1986 sanctions didn't work. SMU canceled 1988 because it could not field a team. Not that the players paid a price. Among them, Eric Dickerson and Craig James. (Surely you remember James, the crybaby who tried to get Leach fired at Texas Tech for treating his baby boy badly.) Bet everybody remembers it all now. Those "graduate" students going to USC will never go to a graduate class and be there one semester. Lincoln Riley's OSU players didn't go to class, either.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I don't think Dewberry ever saw the field at uga. He played at GT for three full seasons after transferring. Sports reference does list uga in his stats.

This is what made him a diamond in the eyes of GT fans. He clipped a piece of the hedge at Sanford Stadium that resulted the Georgia Legislature passing a law against doing that.