Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Do these rankings take into account the players leaving? In that case, I would wonder about how UVA is ranked ahead of anyone given the attrition that has taken place. It SEEMS (memory foggy here) like there was some ridiculous number of Cavaliers leaving to enter the portal.

UVA is currently ranked 112th in the transfer portal rankings.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Do these rankings take into account the players leaving? In that case, I would wonder about how UVA is ranked ahead of anyone given the attrition that has taken place. It SEEMS (memory foggy here) like there was some ridiculous number of Cavaliers leaving to enter the portal.
You have a good memory.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I tend to agree with you. I am still in the "show me" mode with our offensive line and that's the key for us on that side of the ball. On paper these guys look much better. If we can keep injuries to a minimum and avoid the silly mistakes we made in 2021 I think we can be better. I don't think we have elite guys at the skill positions, but we have enough skill to compete.

On defense I hope the misreads in the secondary disappear this year. That was our Achilles heel because we played the run pretty well.

I am not talking about ND and uga. We just failed to show up in those games. Otherwise, I don't think we were overmatched. Untimely penalties and mistakes just killed us. But we ought to be able to compete with our Coastal opponents in 2022.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
This is probably the most talented roster we've had in a LONG LONG time.
When you say talented roster, are you referring to the team’s average high-school 247 rating, the talent the players on the team have displayed on the field in college, or a combination of both?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Two transfer starters from last year were proven SEC linemen. We will be fortunate if the Bama and Clem transfers turn out to be as good. Hopefully some of the younger guys are ready to step it up. A good OC with different looks and creative play calling can help these guys.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You have a good memory.

Thank you but if I had a REALLY good memory and was totally consumed by this stuff, I could remember how many of those guys are good and how many were clipboard holders. One thing is for sure, there will be a lot of coming and going around that program for the next few weeks which may benefit Tech when we play UVA.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Talent is not an issue at GT. There's talent through HS recruiting and the portal that we should compete for the Coastal.

However, talent alone will not get us where we need to be. This is probably the most talented roster we've had in a LONG LONG time. Time for the coaches to step it up.
Splendid. Then we should see at the very least, a doubling of the current winning three games a year rut we have been in for the past three years.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Talent is not an issue at GT. There's talent through HS recruiting and the portal that we should compete for the Coastal.

However, talent alone will not get us where we need to be. This is probably the most talented roster we've had in a LONG LONG time. Time for the coaches to step it up.
I like the way you stopped before getting to Fire Coach Collins thing again…🤪

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Two transfer starters from last year were proven SEC linemen. We will be fortunate if the Bama and Clem transfers turn out to be as good. Hopefully some of the younger guys are ready to step it up. A good OC with different looks and creative play calling can help these guys.
This is why I have low immediate expectations for the incoming transfer OL.
The ones that have started for us in the past have been starters at their previous schools. Quick has never gotten off the bench at AL and Tchio was not a rotation player at Clemson (200 snaps in 2 years with only 3 or 4 games where he played more than 6 snaps). It is a big ask to expect them to start immediately at GT.

The closest comparison to a transfer to them would probably DeFoor and it was his second year at GT that he became a contributor on the OL.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The ones that have started for us in the past have been starters at their previous schools. Quick has never gotten off the bench at AL and Tchio was not a rotation player at Clemson (200 snaps in 2 years with only 3 or 4 games where he played more than 6 snaps). It is a big ask to expect them to start immediately at GT.
This is my feeling as well, but I am prepared to be pleasantly surprised. Starting would not surprise me as much since we have few available alternatives.

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
This is my feeling as well, but I am prepared to be pleasantly surprised. Starting would not surprise me as much since we have few available alternatives.
I’ve been overexcited for transfers these past few years, and some have definitely been underwhelming compared to the hype we’ve had on the board.

I’m trying to set the bar low for these guys in my head, but what excites me is the potential of the line. We have a massive list of OL with 3 years or more left in eligibility, and that list includes many, many guys going into their 3rd year of college. I’ve read on this board that it’s usually 3 years to develop the line; we’re going into year 4 of this regime with the first batch of OL recruits being 3rd years and Tchio/Quick are just as experienced as those recruits, with higher predicted ceilings and WAY better practice reps against Clemson/Bama’s defense for 2 (or 3) seasons.

Even if I’m trying to not be too excited for this season, it’s really exciting that next season’s line could continue to play together in years 5 and 6. Get old and stay old, that’s what we’re finally on track to do.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been overexcited for transfers these past few years, and some have definitely been underwhelming compared to the hype we’ve had on the board.

I’m trying to set the bar low for these guys in my head, but what excites me is the potential of the line. We have a massive list of OL with 3 years or more left in eligibility, and that list includes many, many guys going into their 3rd year of college. I’ve read on this board that it’s usually 3 years to develop the line; we’re going into year 4 of this regime with the first batch of OL recruits being 3rd years and Tchio/Quick are just as experienced as those recruits, with higher predicted ceilings and WAY better practice reps against Clemson/Bama’s defense for 2 (or 3) seasons.

Even if I’m trying to not be too excited for this season, it’s really exciting that next season’s line could continue to play together in years 5 and 6. Get old and stay old, that’s what we’re finally on track to do.
Hope spring eternal.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Hope spring eternal.
IMO, this year should show what Key can do. I am optimistic, but not convinced. Heck , I could coach an OL filled with 5 stars.......joking obviously. But can he take the talent that he recruited and develop them into good OL that can hold their own with UGA , Clem, etc. ? I am talking technique and smarts more than bigger and stronger. Very few examples ( Mason ? ) come to recent memory where we can see noticeable jumps in excellence in our OL year over year. Older, bigger and stronger are only the minimum requirements, IMO.

slugboy

Staff member
I’m not questioning any of his points; however, after the tone of his last few columns, I wonder how many parking tickets he got on campus this past season.

Back to the transfers: it seems a lot easier to be productive out of the gate at kick returner and at WR, and possibly at RB. We haven’t integrated players as well at the rest of the positions, and I’m not sure why.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’m not questioning any of his points; however, after the tone of his last few columns, I wonder how many parking tickets he got on campus this past season.

Back to the transfers: it seems a lot easier to be productive out of the gate at kick returner and at WR, and possibly at RB. We haven’t integrated players as well at the rest of the positions, and I’m not sure why.

WR and RB are fairly easily to adapt to a new offense. While it might take a year or two to fully bake in all the intricacies, getting to a nominal level of competence in a short time is very achievable. OL is a completely different story, where it not only takes time to develop a player (generally speaking, there are exceptions out there) but to also get them used to working together as a unit.

On the D side, all positions should be fairly easy to achieve nominal competence in a short time, we just haven't had a lot of luck there so far.

For the most part, I think our lack of notable "success" with incoming transfers is pretty normal. Most P5 transfers weren't starters at their previous stop so expecting them to all of a sudden be world beaters sets us up for disappointment. G5 and FCS transfers are moving up a level, and while they may have been great there, the jury is still out on can they perform as well at the P5 level.

Ultimately, transfers build depth and maybe you get a diamond in the rough. Very few teams get a Gibbs type transfer, and we were fortunate that McGowan performed as advertised.

I have no issue with the guys we are getting, but I fall firmly in the wait and see category before claiming victory on their commitment.

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow

The closest comparison to a transfer to them would probably DeFoor and it was his second year at GT that he became a contributor on the OL.
While excited for the potential of the OL transfers, I think you've touched on the reality of the situation. However, even with all the turnover on the line (Cochran/RJohnson/Cooper), I expect only one true spot to fill - Right Guard. I'm really not expecting both transfers to start. But we'll need someone to step up. My guess is Tchio gets some heavy snaps at Guard this year.

My Guess....
LT Jordan Williams / LG Paula Vaipulu / C Mikey Minihan / RG ?????? / RT Nick Pendley

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Ultimately, transfers build depth and maybe you get a diamond in the rough.
Have we ever gotten a diamond in the rough as a transfer, even pre-portal era? Has anyone? Somebody way down on the depth chart or coming from a lower division that exploded for us?

It's not impossible from high school, with the shear number of kids playing, guys developing at different rates, different levels of competition, training, etc. You'll naturally have guys who don't get noticed much and end up lowly rated or unrated. But guys in the portal have already gotten an opportunity at the collegiate level and there are a lot fewer of them than high school players so you can more easily compare their body of work.