Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
That’s a really good list there. I know we are all frustrated by the lack of progress/wins, but any observer can see that these guys will improve the talent on the field. Collins has made a lot of mistakes, but “credit where credit is due,” the program knocked it out of the park with these guys.
Were these players starters at p5 school?
No
Was Gibbs a starter and star at p5 school. ? Yes.
We really need a stud OT thats is or is projected to be a starter. We do not have time to start adding depth and then coaching up. It s go time for ol.
Come on cgc!

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Were these players starters at p5 school?
No
Was Gibbs a starter and star at p5 school. ? Yes.
We really need a stud OT thats is or is projected to be a starter. We do not have time to start adding depth and then coaching up. It s go time for ol.
Come on cgc!
Well let’s do a hypothetical. Let’s say you’re a player who is a starter or projected starter at a P5 school. Let’s say that school is not Georgia Tech, meaning that during the initial recruiting process you did not choose to go to Georgia Tech. For what reasons might you decide to enter the transfer portal despite being a starter or projected starter? Once you’re in the portal, which schools are you likely to try to transfer to? Having not been interested enough in Georgia Tech to sign there initially, what might change your mind this time around? What makes Georgia Tech a more attractive destination than your other options?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The fact that these guys all just stepped on campus, and some of you are already trashing them, is really pathetic.
I am typically a glass half full guy but,tbh. I went back in this thread 3 pages and didn't see anything that I thought was disparaging myself. And also, tbh, I didn't go back any further than than. If you are referencing the post above yours, I took it to mean that iceeater is saying let's not put the cart ahead of the horse. I don't view that as particularly disparaging. Once again I am trying to speak for another poster and to iceater, if I am out of place speaking for you you have my full apology.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
The fact that these guys all just stepped on campus, and some of you are already trashing them, is really pathetic.
Can you please quote what you are talking about? I don't see any trash talking.
Did you accidently post in the wrong thread? Your post seems out of context for the flow of the thread, kinda does not make any sense.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well let’s do a hypothetical. Let’s say you’re a player who is a starter or projected starter at a P5 school. Let’s say that school is not Georgia Tech, meaning that during the initial recruiting process you did not choose to go to Georgia Tech. For what reasons might you decide to enter the transfer portal despite being a starter or projected starter? Once you’re in the portal, which schools are you likely to try to transfer to? Having not been interested enough in Georgia Tech to sign there initially, what might change your mind this time around? What makes Georgia Tech a more attractive destination than your other options?
I think for many of these kids, once they get to school they find out it isn’t all they thought it would be. Just like regular students, I think kids sometimes decide that they want to be closer to home. Not everyone, but enough to get the hometown team a second look.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The facts are fine.
I think the new recruits are fine with them
We lost a star rb but we really need a star OT to make the team bettrr.

I dont think they take it personal. Sorry it sounded that way.

We must have a star on ol so we can reverse our direction.

All of the new guys and existing are fine, but they are not stars --- yet.

They are good with that.

The ol has very little playing time for the back up. Quick missed playing at Alabama due to back issue. He is here to give it a go - lets hope he can play and not get injured.

Ol is an injury machine.
We need a star to make the defenses plan around. Like P Braun or S Mason - we could get 1 yd for sure if w run behind them unless they load up.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I am typically a glass half full guy but,tbh. I went back in this thread 3 pages and didn't see anything that I thought was disparaging myself. And also, tbh, I didn't go back any further than than. If you are referencing the post above yours, I took it to mean that iceeater is saying let's not put the cart ahead of the horse. I don't view that as particularly disparaging. Once again I am trying to speak for another poster and to iceater, if I am out of place speaking for you you have my full apology.

Well, if the requirement is that they are starters at major P5 schools, who wake up one day and decide to come to Tech, then we and every other school that takes a transfer is screwed.

If the thing always is "well Gibbs", then screw it. Just write down the W's and save everyone a lot of trouble.

Was stated that we need OL transfers, well:

Paul Tchio:

Pierce Quick:

By the "they weren't starters, and they're not Gibbs" criteria, not only should we pass on these guys, but we should cut our current running backs loose because they weren't starters and they're not Gibbs.

We don't know how any of these guys will play out. Maybe we should just wait and see.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Good question.

Agree its a long shot.

Some possibilities
Would have to be an exceptional student in addition to being a top OT .

Something big at his current school might change.

Knows our staff.

Has been recruited by people he knows well.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, if the requirement is that they are starters at major P5 schools, who wake up one day and decide to come to Tech, then we and every other school that takes a transfer is screwed.

If the thing always is "well Gibbs", then screw it. Just write down the W's and save everyone a lot of trouble.

Was stated that we need OL transfers, well:

Paul Tchio:

Pierce Quick:

By the "they weren't starters, and they're not Gibbs" criteria, not only should we pass on these guys, but we should cut our current running backs loose because they weren't starters and they're not Gibbs.

We don't know how any of these guys will play out. Maybe we should just wait and see.
I'm happy to have them, but I am in a wait and see mode as far as impact (just like I would be with any HS recruit).
If fairness both of those OL have been re-rated as transfers.
Quick went from 0.9789 to 0.8700. Tchio from 0.9545 to 0.8800. So they are no longer seen as 4-star sure starter types. They are seen as guys with the potential to grow into P5 starter status over the course of their college careers. I'm going to be pleasantly surprised if either is a significant contributor for us this upcoming season.

The staff has done a really good job of pulling in transfers (just like they did last year). We definitely need a high hit rate this year.