Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Sort of a strange recruiting change of heart for him. Committed to LSU but signed with ND last minute which surprised a lot of people. Was projected as a safety and the ND starter must have gotten injured and they put a couple of sophomores ahead of him. He entered the portal at the end of the season. He would be a candidate for a red shirt which would give him 4 years. Obviously has high potential from his HS rating.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Personally hate signing kids who received no playing time at their old school unless it’s a position we are really desperate at. You’re relying on high school evaluation which at the individual level is far from perfect.

The way our safeties have looked for years I don’t think we are in the position of turning down a former 4* and local backyard guy. But that’s just me.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Personally hate signing kids who received no playing time at their old school unless it’s a position we are really desperate at. You’re relying on high school evaluation which at the individual level is far from perfect.

So what is your preposition to add players to the team then? Because highschool recruits also only have high school evaluations to go on.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The way our safeties have looked for years I don’t think we are in the position of turning down a former 4* and local backyard guy. But that’s just me.
With 4 years of eligibility left. He was a true freshman last year, so it wouldn't be expected he would see the field much. It's like having a 4-star recruit with his redshirt year out of the way.

Last edited:

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
So what is your preposition to add players to the team then? Because highschool recruits also only have high school evaluations to go on.
With every high school recruit there is unknowns, but there is also a small chance you’re getting a diamond in the rough. Once a skill player gets on a campus and doesn’t get any playing time even though they can redshirt and play four games, that tells you he’s not some hidden gem. And start looking at our track record of transfers who got virtually no playing time at their last school. How many of those guys have impressed you?

To answer your question. Sign grad transfers who have actually played at their last school. And do better recruiting high school kids.

Last edited:

JacketFan137

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't follow ND so I don't know what else they had at safety in front of him. Given he was a true freshman, it isn't really concerning he didn't see the field although it would be much nicer to see him get limited time in 4 games to preserve the redshirt. Probably indicates he wouldn't be ready in 2022 to be a major contributor, either, but he still has 4 years of eligibility. Theoretically, despite losing Yeh and Tariq, we've got plenty of talent and depth there already.
one of ND’s safeties, Kyle Hamilton, is pretty widely considered a generational NFL draft prospect and will likely go in the top 10 of the draft which is kinda crazy for a player in his position.

absolutely no shame in not seeing the field much for ND this year

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Of course! We should just tell the highest performing players from teams like Bama and Ohio State to come to Tech, and they will! Why didn’t I think of that? Clearly there are so many All-American and all-conference players in the portal just begging to come to Georgia Tech.

Sheboygan

Ramblin' Wreck
Potential gets paid as much or more than performance nowadays. Too bad, you can't win championships with potential.

Go Jackets!
AMEN. Even the top schools make mistakes on recruiting someone. If they were a 4 star coming out of HS, but have barely moved up the depth chart after 2 years, it could be that they were overrated by the recruiting services. OTOH, coaches make mistakes on evaluating what they have also, even Kirby didn't like Bennett for his first couple of years. I had extremely high hopes for Clayton, but for whatever reason.............

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
With every high school recruit there is unknowns, but there is also a small chance you’re getting a diamond in the rough. Once a skill player gets on a campus and doesn’t get any playing time even though they can redshirt and play four games, that tells you he’s not some hidden gem. And start looking at our track record of transfers who got virtually no playing time at their last school. How many of those guys have impressed you?

To answer your question. Sign grad transfers who have actually played at their last school. And do better recruiting high school kids.
That's a good point, but they're doing the best they can after three 3-win seasons. The guy was a fairly highly regarded recruit out of high school. Maybe a fresh start will do him and us some good. I'm ready for a fresh start myself, as a fan. Trying to stay positive and give the guy a chance.

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
Of course! We should just tell the highest performing players from teams like Bama and Ohio State to come to Tech, and they will! Why didn’t I think of that? Clearly there are so many All-American and all-conference players in the portal just begging to come to Georgia Tech.
Portal has tons of kids in it. There are plenty of athletes who received playing time at their last school.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
AMEN. Even the top schools make mistakes on recruiting someone. If they were a 4 star coming out of HS, but have barely moved up the depth chart after 2 years, it could be that they were overrated by the recruiting services. OTOH, coaches make mistakes on evaluating what they have also, even Kirby didn't like Bennett for his first couple of years. I had extremely high hopes for Clayton, but for whatever reason.............
Just to point out, Khari Gee would be an incoming redshirt freshman. He's been at ND only one year.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

This is such a bad take.

The 4 game rule is not going to be used for guys who are able to contribute in meaningful time as freshmen and then "saved" for the rest of the year to maintain eligibility. The playing time redshirting players would get are the end of game minutes in blow outs with/against third stringers when one team, and sometimes both, is just trying to kill clock.