Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

slugboy

Staff member
What's disappointing is that a significant portion of the transfer players will not end up at another school, so basically they leave and don't even end up on a scholarship somewhere. That is a real negative as alot of young men could get their college payed for and they end up throwing that away.

From a 2020 article on the transfer portal - before this huge explosion began
only 45.7 percent of three-star prospects or better who enter the portal remained in FBS football.

A more recent article that is just as dire - 47% of P5 transfer portal players went to JUCO, FCS or out of football completely.

Anthony suggests there are two different types of players who enter the transfer portal: Those with proven production and everyone else. Those in the first category will find a landing spot without much issue. Those in the latter – no matter their recruiting pedigree – are much more dependent on their previous relationships and teams taking a risk.

Kater Johnson, a four-star signee with TCU in the 2019 class, entered the portal after just one year in Fort Worth. He had a similar experience to Anthony before ultimately signing with Butler Community College.

“It’s humbling,” Johnson told 247Sports last year. “You realize within a few months, a year later, the whole process restarts. Once your class is through – I don’t want to say they don’t care about you – but it’s a business.”
It was created to make college sports fairer for the athletes, and was quickly turned to the advantage of the programs.
It’s Faustian

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
it is a pretty strong argument imo. they’re still college age kids. if you don’t want to give them some of the same rules as regular college kids then they should be paid directly by the school rather than seeking NIL deals.

It's not that they don't have the same rules, it's that they have extra rules because of their participation in the sport which is still there. They are already getting perks in exchange for that limitation. Now if you want to argue that they aren't fairly compensated for it then go for it, but it has nothing to do with being treated like regular students. They aren't regular students from the get go.

i also think the way you’ve framed this is very dishonest. you’re acting like these kids are just being given these things and not having to earn it putting in tons of man hours

Nowhere did I frame it as if they weren't putting in tons of man hours. How much they work doesn't really factor into the discussion. They've earned what they've gotten. That doesn't change that with what they've gotten comes new rules and regulations that they need to abide by. Just like a doctor has to work very hard to be doctors but they still have extra regulations and rules that they have to follow that don't apply to those who aren't doctors. People work hard for promotions that then come with extra rules they have to abide by.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
The thing about this site though is that we used to be above needing to do that.

Since you brought it up (in this thread no less while you then try to “bring“ the thread on topic?), it’s because the program is in prolonged state of under-performance that hasn’t existed in the life of the site. It’s as simple as that. And best left to work itself out.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Since you brought it up (in this thread no less while you then try to “bring“ the thread on topic?), it’s because the program is in prolonged state of under-performance that hasn’t existed in the life of the site. It’s as simple as that. And best left to work itself out.
No, it's because what made this site great changed as more and more fonts gravitated from other septic fan boards. This site was built around recruiting news and x's & o's lessons. Now it's about pissin' & moanin'.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
hard to say how i feel. on one hand regular students can transfer schools and not face any punishment, so idk why a STUDENT athlete shouldn’t be afforded the same privilege. there’s also the coaching carousel where you commit to a coach and he leaves for greener pastures unpunished, so why can’t that player change as well

on the other hand it’s a shame that the top talent from lesser teams just goes to a different school out of nowhere. we also have some shady deals like Quinn Ewers lasting a year and leaving.

idk what the solution is really
Yeah. I get that. But regular students don't typically get the privilege of being on a full scholarship.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah. I get that. But regular students don't typically get the privilege of being on a full scholarship.
Regular students also don’t generate hundreds of millions of dollars for schools. You can’t compare P5 Football and basketball players to regular students. The only analogous student is a PhD student who generates revenue and is typically compensated above their education.

JacketFan137

Banned
Regular students also don’t generate hundreds of millions of dollars for schools. You can’t compare P5 Football and basketball players to regular students. The only analogous student is a PhD student who generates revenue and is typically compensated above their education.
i’m getting strong jealousy vibes from those comments. these players are bringing in more money to the school and basically just a giant advertisement each saturday for the university. they’re generating a crap ton of money from alcohol sales at our games now. the starting football players are underpaid at tech. even more so at football factories like a bama, uga, ohio state etc.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
i’m getting strong jealousy vibes from those comments. these players are bringing in more money to the school and basically just a giant advertisement each saturday for the university. they’re generating a crap ton of money from alcohol sales at our games now. the starting football players are underpaid at tech. even more so at football factories like a bama, uga, ohio state etc.
Georgia Tech has zero need of athletics. The school doesn't need any "advertising" from football or any sport. Georgia Tech is in the conversation with elite schools such as MIT, Cal Tech, etc not because of sports and if sports went away tomorrow the school would remain prestigious.

The whole notion that sports plays a role in garnering more students is somewhat ludicrous. Are you telling me that no one would be going to school if there weren't sports?

Underpaid? I worked for a multi billion per year profit company making about 65k when I started my career. The CEO made 10-20 mil per year. SAs may be underpaid, but it's not unique to college football like some make it out to be.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
And that’s a great argument for establishing a football minor league or changing the NFL draft eligibility rules. Colleges and universities are educational institutions, not professional sports clubs (or at least they’re not supposed to be). Even if the players are making a lot of money for the universities they attend, it’s a slap in the face to everyone who graduates with significant student loan debt to act like a full ride scholarship to a respected institute isn’t worth much, especially considering that most college athletes don’t get drafted or play their respective sports professionally. Playing college football (or basketball) is not only a privilege but also a choice. They can choose not to play.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
No one has made a good case as to why players shouldn’t get paid for their name, likeness or image.

There are good arguments as to why it is bad for college football overall. Of course that isn’t a good reason individuals shouldn’t be able to be compensated for NIL.

Good arguments have been made for establishing some rules or control over NIL as a whole but not on an individual basis.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It was created to make college sports fairer for the athletes, and was quickly turned to the advantage of the programs.
It’s Faustian
Welcome to the real world.

The transfer portal thrust college athletes into the world of professional sports, which is nothing more than a business.

It's like the old saying...Be Careful What You Wish For.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Welcome to the real world.

The transfer portal thrust college athletes into the world of professional sports, which is nothing more than a business.

It's like the old saying...Be Careful What You Wish For.

Transfer portal is not the boon for SAs as some may have thought. The statistics on P5 kids in the portal is pretty eye opening...a LOT of the SAs left good situations and either didn't find a place at all, or dropped out of P5.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Transfer portal is not the boon for SAs as some may have thought. The statistics on P5 kids in the portal is pretty eye opening...a LOT of the SAs left good situations and either didn't find a place at all, or dropped out of P5.

I'm curious if there's a way to examine this more closely. Obviously there are a lot of people transferring for good reasons with good potential elsewhere. I'm sure also there are those entering the portal are motivated by personal, academic, medical, or legal issues, and others enter because they end up being worse prospects in reality than where they were when they started. I'm not sure what percentage of these guys would have a future on the team they are leaving if they stayed. Maybe some would not have an athletic future but would be able to stay on the team and earn a degree.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
No, it's because what made this site great changed as more and more fonts gravitated from other septic fan boards. This site was built around recruiting news and x's & o's lessons. Now it's about pissin' & moanin'.
Didn’t the people who used to post the good recruiting and scull session stuff leave?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t the people who used to post the good recruiting and scull session stuff leave?
@Eric was a big part of the recruiting (and the beginning of the site with @John), but there were many others who brought good recruiting nuggets to the site. Many have gone radio-silent, but that's not hard with so much noise. It also used to be that we only needed 2 administrators and no hall monitors. Those days are LONG GONE. But this is the wrong thread for this.

As for comings and goings in the Transfer Portal, I think you have to look beyond the statistics of how many kids leaving P5 schools don't stay in a P5 school. Many of these kids transferring are kids that need to move down a level to get on the field (for whatever reason). Some are looking for a new start or to get closer to home, but I think the vast majority want to play and the level doesn't matter as much. Let's face it, if you're at a P5 school and aren't getting any PT, you're never going to be seen. If you move down a level and get on the field, who knows what will happen. The NFL will find you, regardless of where you are. You can even be bagging groceries.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'm curious if there's a way to examine this more closely. Obviously there are a lot of people transferring for good reasons with good potential elsewhere. I'm sure also there are those entering the portal are motivated by personal, academic, medical, or legal issues, and others enter because they end up being worse prospects in reality than where they were when they started. I'm not sure what percentage of these guys would have a future on the team they are leaving if they stayed. Maybe some would not have an athletic future but would be able to stay on the team and earn a degree.
1. Players demand and get transfer portal so they can leave at anytime - just like coaches.
2. Top players take advantage of this and then a bunch middle or lower players try and get stranded.

3. Now some players say they want to
" Stay on the team and earn a degree". But they still can change their mind.

4. Portal puts more pressure on coaches to win or get fired.
5. After there is better way to figure out fit of players transfering, won't the guys in 3 will be pushed out the side door?

NCAA offers 3 tracks
Schools offer
1 year scholarships
2 year scholarship
4 year scholarships.

I think cpj wanted 4 year

Last edited:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
@Eric was a big part of the recruiting (and the beginning of the site with @John), but there were many others who brought good recruiting nuggets to the site. Many have gone radio-silent, but that's not hard with so much noise. It also used to be that we only needed 2 administrators and no hall monitors. Those days are LONG GONE. But this is the wrong thread for this.

As for comings and goings in the Transfer Portal, I think you have to look beyond the statistics of how many kids leaving P5 schools don't stay in a P5 school. Many of these kids transferring are kids that need to move down a level to get on the field (for whatever reason). Some are looking for a new start or to get closer to home, but I think the vast majority want to play and the level doesn't matter as much. Let's face it, if you're at a P5 school and aren't getting any PT, you're never going to be seen. If you move down a level and get on the field, who knows what will happen. The NFL will find you, regardless of where you are. You can even be bagging groceries.
Expanding on this thought a bit, I believe the portal stats are somewhat misleading since pre-transfer portal there was always attrition from players who left without joining another P5 team. Some dropped down a tier but found playing time, others left football entirely. Those same players today would be likely to put their names in the portal and many become part of the "bad" statistic. I don't know if there are any stats on how many players did this in the past, but it was a lot more than zero. I don't doubt that the rule change allowing transfers immediate playing time has induced more players to seek alternative teams, but it's not like the portal suddenly created a new class of players that can't find a P5 home.