Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
A good portion of the last 50 pages or so of that thread are people complaining about the threads existence or complaining about the people posting in it. If you want something to die then let it die.
If the moderators will let you. I started a new thread asking people to not post there so that it wouldn't get bumped up. What did a moderator do (I don't know which one)? Moved my post to that thread.

That thread has certainly not helped the program and has likely damaged recruiting. We know that recruits and players come on here--and maybe opposing coaches too. Is one of the moderators a double agent?

This is my first post on this board since. I don't care about participating with so much negativity about the program-negativity based on ignorance in many cases.

JacketFan137

Banned
If the moderators will let you. I started a new thread asking people to not post there so that it wouldn't get bumped up. What did a moderator do (I don't know which one)? Moved my post to that thread.

That thread has certainly not helped the program and has likely damaged recruiting. We know that recruits and players come on here--and maybe opposing coaches too. Is one of the moderators a double agent?

This is my first post on this board since. I don't care about participating with so much negativity about the program-negativity based on ignorance in many cases.
we now have losers bumping it on purpose. i don’t think people really like georgia tech football. i think they just use complaining about tech football as an outlet to deal with the other stress in their life. i guess it’s cheaper than therapy lmfao

JacketFan137

Banned
maybe some serious NIL money magic going on
i think he just wasn’t that good. tennessee people were pretty happy to see him go. it’s not like this was a clear starter leaving.

i don’t think tech was ever a realistic option because we had a 2 year starter + a highly touted recruit coming in. the only reason it blew up was a rivals predictor getting over excited. the rest of the p5 options near him don’t seem like scheme fits/have their guy and it’s not like he’s gonna go play for vandy

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The thing about this site though is that we used to be above needing to do that.
I mean, let’s pin this post. @kg01 dropping truth bombs out here, dissension is one of the best parts of fandom, who wants to live in an echo chamber all day, but the people who post their poorly informed hot takes does seem to have been growing over here.

Many of us have been bouncing around fan boards for a while and this has been one of the better (if not the best) free boards since it’s creation - or at least since December 17, 2013.. :unsure: ;)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I mean, let’s pin this post. @kg01 dropping truth bombs out here, dissension is one of the best parts of fandom, who wants to live in an echo chamber all day, but the people who post their poorly informed hot takes does seem to have been growing over here.

Many of us have been bouncing around fan boards for a while and this has been one of the better (if not the best) free boards since it’s creation - or at least since December 17, 2013.. :unsure: ;)

Thank you and I graciously accept your plaudits.

The kg account has been around these parts since the beginning. A wayward traveler, newly expelled from StinkTalk. A villain looking for a home and the swarm community took me in.

But, you know what they say .... you either die a villain or live long enough to see yourself become the hero.

thats not right GIF by mintmobile

Ah shut up, you.

JacketFan137

Banned
It is crazy how many players have been in the Portal this year... smh
hard to say how i feel. on one hand regular students can transfer schools and not face any punishment, so idk why a STUDENT athlete shouldn’t be afforded the same privilege. there’s also the coaching carousel where you commit to a coach and he leaves for greener pastures unpunished, so why can’t that player change as well

on the other hand it’s a shame that the top talent from lesser teams just goes to a different school out of nowhere. we also have some shady deals like Quinn Ewers lasting a year and leaving.

idk what the solution is really

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What's disappointing is that a significant portion of the transfer players will not end up at another school, so basically they leave and don't even end up on a scholarship somewhere. That is a real negative as alot of young men could get their college payed for and they end up throwing that away.

From a 2020 article on the transfer portal - before this huge explosion began
only 45.7 percent of three-star prospects or better who enter the portal remained in FBS football.

A more recent article that is just as dire - 47% of P5 transfer portal players went to JUCO, FCS or out of football completely.

Anthony suggests there are two different types of players who enter the transfer portal: Those with proven production and everyone else. Those in the first category will find a landing spot without much issue. Those in the latter – no matter their recruiting pedigree – are much more dependent on their previous relationships and teams taking a risk.

Kater Johnson, a four-star signee with TCU in the 2019 class, entered the portal after just one year in Fort Worth. He had a similar experience to Anthony before ultimately signing with Butler Community College.

“It’s humbling,” Johnson told 247Sports last year. “You realize within a few months, a year later, the whole process restarts. Once your class is through – I don’t want to say they don’t care about you – but it’s a business.”

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
hard to say how i feel. on one hand regular students can transfer schools and not face any punishment, so idk why a STUDENT athlete shouldn’t be afforded the same privilege.

There is an easy explanation. SAs aren't regular students. They get a lot of benefits that regular students don't get including different admissions competition, a scholarship, facilities, etc. So that comes with extra regulations. Also, SAs could transfer just like normal students. They just had to sit a year, which is something that just isn't relevant to regular students. It's kind of like asking why I have to do my taxes while my 8 year old niece doesn't.

There are plenty of good arguments for transfers being allowed freely but imo that wasn't one of them.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
hard to say how i feel. on one hand regular students can transfer schools and not face any punishment, so idk why a STUDENT athlete shouldn’t be afforded the same privilege. there’s also the coaching carousel where you commit to a coach and he leaves for greener pastures unpunished, so why can’t that player change as well

on the other hand it’s a shame that the top talent from lesser teams just goes to a different school out of nowhere. we also have some shady deals like Quinn Ewers lasting a year and leaving.

idk what the solution is really
I think comparing transfers for regular students to those of scholarship athletes is a false equivalence. As far as I’m aware, there’s been nothing preventing football players from transferring to another school to go study. “But they’ll have to sit out a year!” Well pardon my lack of empathy as someone whose family paid for my education out of pocket (and I was one of the really lucky ones. A pretty good chunk of college students today have to rack up a lot of loan debt just to pay tuition to get this education) that I don’t feel bad that someone got a full ride to a good college and got to transfer somewhere else and have a full ride at that second college, but they don’t get to play in games for a year while their education is being fully funded. Regular students absolutely face “punishment” for transferring schools. They may lose scholarships if the new school doesn’t uphold or award them the same or equivalent scholarships they had at their old school. Sometimes credits don’t transfer, and students lose hard-earned progress they had made toward their degrees.

JacketFan137

Banned
There is an easy explanation. SAs aren't regular students. They get a lot of benefits that regular students don't get including different admissions competition, a scholarship, facilities, etc. So that comes with extra regulations. Also, SAs could transfer just like normal students. They just had to sit a year, which is something that just isn't relevant to regular students. It's kind of like asking why I have to do my taxes while my 8 year old niece doesn't.

There are plenty of good arguments for transfers being allowed freely but imo that wasn't one of them.
it is a pretty strong argument imo. they’re still college age kids. if you don’t want to give them some of the same rules as regular college kids then they should be paid directly by the school rather than seeking NIL deals.

i also think the way you’ve framed this is very dishonest. you’re acting like these kids are just being given these things and not having to earn it putting in tons of man hours

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
it is a pretty strong argument imo. they’re still college age kids. if you don’t want to give them some of the same rules as regular college kids then they should be paid directly by the school rather than seeking NIL deals.

i also think the way you’ve framed this is very dishonest. you’re acting like these kids are just being given these things and not having to earn it putting in tons of man hours
I don’t think his framing is dishonest. Scholarship athletes get lots of privileges regular students don’t. That they worked hard to get there doesn’t negate it. It doesn’t matter how hard I worked, I never would have been athletic enough to earn a football scholarship at a D-1 school. It doesn’t mean that the ones who got those scholarships were simply coasting by on talent, but the fact remains that factors outside their control gave them opportunities they otherwise wouldn’t have gotten (I can’t imagine how difficult it would be to get a full ride at Tech due to academic prowess alone). If they don’t feel that what’s being offered to them is worth what they are giving in return, it’s completely valid for them to think that. It really is okay. It doesn’t make them bad people or ungrateful or dumb. But colleges are intended to be institutions of higher learning, not professional sports franchises. The most they can offer students (barring something like a research job) is a full ride scholarship and to pay for things that aid in being a student.