Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

JacketFan137

Banned
I don't see any reason to believe Nix is even considering coming here. But if you're going to compare the two you need to weight their most recent production. For instance, Sims first four games will always have those 8 INTs, but as he gets more experience those first 3 games will be less indicative of his current level of play

So while it is accurate to say Sims has 20 INTs in 17 games (and I believe it is just 17), it's also accurate to say he's thrown just 12 in his last 14. It's also accurate to say he three 7 INTs in effectively 6 games last year.

Last year Nix was a 61% accuracy passer on 323 attempts at 7.1 ypa and 11Tds to 3 INTs in 10 games. As a runner he was a 2.9 ypc with 4 TDs.
Last year Sims was a 60% accuracy passer on 188 attempts at 7.8 ypa and 12 TDs to 7 INTs in, effectively, 6 games. As a runner he was 5.3 ypc with 4 TDs.

Keep in mind when looking at those stats that Nix's includes games against Akron and Alabama State of a combined 29/39 with 5 TDs and 0 INTs. Sims didn't have the advantage of playing against Kennesaw state to help pad stats. Without those two games his numbers look as the following.

59.2% passing on 6.7 ypa with 6 TDs and 3 INts.

Of course Nix also had to play against several while Sims was hurt for Clemson/ND/UGA. Now against Pitt, the best team Sims did play against, he went 24-34 for 359 yards, and 2 TDs, but also 2 INTs. Now obviously he wouldn't have had those same stats against ND/UGA but it's worth noting.

The last thing is the surrounding situation as IMO, Nix was in a better position to succeed and if he came here next year he'd be going from a better situation to a worse situation while Sims would be going from a worse situation to a, hopefully, better situation, so you would expect Sims to be able to improve on his numbers more readily than Nix to improve on his. Especially since Nix already had a year more experience.

In general, I think people need to realize that we're not going to get an obvious upgrade at QB in the portal, and that's not really a problem. With Sims being a soph sitting at 60% on 7.8 ypa and his running ability is not a bad spot for a QB. We need to improve on the OL and WR far more than QB, with the note that we need Sims to stay healthy next year.
thank you for breaking this down. i would also add that sims is young and we haven’t seen his ceiling. we know what bo nix is and it’s really not even a whole lot better than sims is right now

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I don't see any reason to believe Nix is even considering coming here. But if you're going to compare the two you need to weight their most recent production. For instance, Sims first four games will always have those 8 INTs, but as he gets more experience those first 3 games will be less indicative of his current level of play

So while it is accurate to say Sims has 20 INTs in 17 games (and I believe it is just 17), it's also accurate to say he's thrown just 12 in his last 14. It's also accurate to say he three 7 INTs in effectively 6 games last year.

Last year Nix was a 61% accuracy passer on 323 attempts at 7.1 ypa and 11Tds to 3 INTs in 10 games. As a runner he was a 2.9 ypc with 4 TDs.
Last year Sims was a 60% accuracy passer on 188 attempts at 7.8 ypa and 12 TDs to 7 INTs in, effectively, 6 games. As a runner he was 5.3 ypc with 4 TDs.

Keep in mind when looking at those stats that Nix's includes games against Akron and Alabama State of a combined 29/39 with 5 TDs and 0 INTs. Sims didn't have the advantage of playing against Kennesaw state to help pad stats. Without those two games his numbers look as the following.

59.2% passing on 6.7 ypa with 6 TDs and 3 INts.

Of course Nix also had to play against several while Sims was hurt for Clemson/ND/UGA. Now against Pitt, the best team Sims did play against, he went 24-34 for 359 yards, and 2 TDs, but also 2 INTs. Now obviously he wouldn't have had those same stats against ND/UGA but it's worth noting.

The last thing is the surrounding situation as IMO, Nix was in a better position to succeed and if he came here next year he'd be going from a better situation to a worse situation while Sims would be going from a worse situation to a, hopefully, better situation, so you would expect Sims to be able to improve on his numbers more readily than Nix to improve on his. Especially since Nix already had a year more experience.

In general, I think people need to realize that we're not going to get an obvious upgrade at QB in the portal, and that's not really a problem. With Sims being a soph sitting at 60% on 7.8 ypa and his running ability is not a bad spot for a QB. We need to improve on the OL and WR far more than QB, with the note that we need Sims to stay healthy next year.
I don't really want Bo Nix but this really hides the quality of defenses Nix was playing against. He played 8 teams in the top 40 in defensive FEI this year. Sims played 1. I really wish Sims was healthy against the better defenses we played. That would have been a good measuring stick for his progression and they would have been good learning experiences.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Sims has 20 interceptions in 18 games and is a 57% passer with 444 attempts.

Nix has 16 interceptions in 34 games and is a 59% passer with 1057 attempts.

I don’t necessarily want Nix to come to Tech, but he would almost assuredly be an immediate upgrade at QB. He just doesn’t really have anymore room to grow whereas Sims does.
Nix also had better protection.

I like Sims, I think he is special and it's unfair how much blame gets put on him. That comes with the position however.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Any indication on where Mumpfield is headed? Is GT talking to him? I would think if there’s a good chance Gibson comes here that he would be actively recruiting his WR teammate who is seeking a new location to play ball if GT has any interest in Mumpfield?

Mumpfield tweeted his offer from us yesterday, so we are definitely in on him.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad to have Sims. I'd like all the competition we can get at QB, though. The more, the merrier.
The problem is we haven’t had competition in the QB room. Once Collins got Sims signature he was annointed QB1. And he’s ridden him for 2 years. Hopefully, Long brings real competition to that group and whoever emerges I’ll support because at least I’ll believe the OC wants to score rather than make mamas feel good. But I don’t trust the head guy to leave Long alone. After watching the Georgia High championship school games last week on TV it’s obvious that our QB room needs serious upgrades.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
The problem is we haven’t had competition in the QB room. Once Collins got Sims signature he was annointed QB1. And he’s ridden him for 2 years. Hopefully, Long brings real competition to that group and whoever emerges I’ll support because at least I’ll believe the OC wants to score rather than make mamas feel good. But I don’t trust the head guy to leave Long alone. After watching the Georgia High championship school games last week on TV it’s obvious that our QB room needs serious upgrades.
I'm not sure we've ever had more than 1 QB in the room at any one time. Can anyone recall when we've had a serious QB battle between 2 fairly qualified QBs? I can't. It would be a real novelty to have to pick.

kalld12

Banned
This 100%. I may be in the minority, but im not a huge fan of Sims. Too many careless turnovers, lack of progression in reads, and not seeing the progress I'd thought we'd see year over year. I'm not giving up on him, but if he starts the year out next year turning the ball over with careless turnovers then he needs to be pulled. I think Collins also knows its time to put up or shut up or hes gone too. I don't think there will be a lot of patience for mistakes next year. The pressure is on and I'm OK with that!

JacketFan137

Banned
I'm not sure we've ever had more than 1 QB in the room at any one time. Can anyone recall when we've had a serious QB battle between 2 fairly qualified QBs? I can't. It would be a real novelty to have to pick.
with the portal that’s getting harder and harder and most of the time when you make a decision one of them leaves. i remember a lot of people wanting thomas to start over vad lee, myself included, and i do remember calls for taylor bennett over reggie ball.

with sims though there’s been absolutely no competition. i don’t think it’s gonna be feasible to bring in someone better but i think it’ll be important to bring in some actual depth that can play when sims goes down. we haven’t had that in the last two years

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think Long has plenty of "leverage" to stand up to Geoff.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This 100%. I may be in the minority, but im not a huge fan of Sims. Too many careless turnovers, lack of progression in reads, and not seeing the progress I'd thought we'd see year over year. I'm not giving up on him, but if he starts the year out next year turning the ball over with careless turnovers then he needs to be pulled. I think Collins also knows its time to put up or shut up or hes gone too. I don't think there will be a lot of patience for mistakes next year. The pressure is on and I'm OK with that!
We'll find out more about Sims next year, after he's had different (and hopefully better) coaching.