Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, the fanbase just turned on him. No, there was no negativity from the moment he was hired about him at all. Just about record. Completely.

There certainly was a lot less negativity than there is now.

I'm a key example. I was interested in giving him a chance, and did. For roughly 2.5 years. Now I've seen what he's done with that chance, and have seen the results (or the lack thereof). So I've definitely turned on him over the past year.

I lead a marketing team in the business world, and regularly stress the following: inputs don't matter. Results do. So while I think the efforts he's been making to build a great culture and recruit are wonderful, there's one KPI that shows whether his strategy is working. And that KPI hasn't demonstrated progress, yet. So I'm personally weary of it all. (And I say this as someone who very much respects Collins' branding prowess.)

I still hope for the best. I would love it if he can put on-field results with all the things he's done with the culture of the team and the branding off the field. At this point the evidence is not telling me he can, but I'll be happily surprised should it happen.

That being said, to get back on topic...we have been recruiting well when you factor in the transfer portal. So there's that. I'm excited to see what some of these new guys can do.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
This was posted in the Recruiting forum - thought it also belonged here. Former 4* CB from Auburn.

ETA - Mods - I noticed some posts from this thread about incoming players have been moved to the recruiting forum. Should each incoming individual player announced just be discussed in their individual recruiting thread? (If so, we might want to change this thread title to "Who's Going (2022 Roster)". Happy to delete this if we want to change the focus of this thread. Thanks!

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, the fanbase just turned on him. No, there was no negativity from the moment he was hired about him at all. Just about record. Completely.
At the time of his hire, over 81% of the users here liked the hire (including myself), and less than 4% did not like the hire. Im not sure the claim that many people were negative about him from the get go is actually true.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Win 3 games a year for three straight years and yeah, the fanbase might turn on you a bit. That's the reality of the profession. He gets paid alot to deal with that nonsense. Frankly, he is lucky he is doing it here. We are a tame group. He can still go to Waffle House and have a comfortable meal. Win 9 games in three years at some other programs and that isn't going to be the case.

Yeah we know, in general, you're correct. Them guys get hired to be fired in a lot of ways, so criticism comes with the territory.

But I'm not giving les miserables the benefit of the doubt. They complain just to complain and have done so since the hiring.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Win 3 games a year for three straight years and yeah, the fanbase might turn on you a bit. That's the reality of the profession. He gets paid alot to deal with that nonsense. Frankly, he is lucky he is doing it here. We are a tame group. He can still go to Waffle House and have a comfortable meal. Win 9 games in three years at some other programs and that isn't going to be the case.
You are quite right about this. GT fans are among the most patient and least volatile.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yeah we know, in general, you're correct. Them guys get hired to be fired in a lot of ways, so criticism comes with the territory.

But I'm not giving les miserables the benefit of the doubt. They complain just to complain and have done so since the hiring.
Well in retrospect, those would be the smart ones who recognized the situation early on and got in on the ground floor.

I was late. I didn't give up on Collins until year three and even still now hold out some foolish hope against hope that he can recover with the new assistants.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
At the time of his hire, over 81% of the users here liked the hire (including myself), and less than 4% did not like the hire. Im not sure the claim that many people were negative about him from the get go is actually true.
Thanx for posting this. I noticed it's not too late to change your vote and switched it from "yes" to "no"....3 years too late.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Most of us gave Collins every freaking chance in the world. I was pimping for him after the hire, during the off season, season 1, off season #2, getting Gibbs, season 2, and the off season prior to season 3, although walking out of Bobby Dodd after Pittsburgh made Collins look silly I began thinking we may have been had. Then I returned to watch us start 0-1 against NIU and that’s when I knew we had been had. And then the post game interview by NIU’s confirmed everything we have seen on the field under Collins. All soft/me first ball. That’s on him. He left me, I didn’t leave him. Don’t tell it’s sunny while holding an umbrella. Year 4 is simply Long’s in person interview.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
people here don’t watch college football. they think what collins says in these press conferences is unique to him. it’s such a stupid narrative argument. all coaches say the same kinda stuff for the most part
In these posters’ defense, todays coach speak gets really annoying... especially so when losing.

I wish all of them had more honesty and humor (mainly humor).

“Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who aren’t motivated.” -Lou Holtz

“I’d rather have preparation than motivation. Everyone likes to play, no one like to practice.” - Bum Phillips

“At Georgia Southern we don’t cheat. That costs money and we don’t have any.” -Erk Russell

“If lessons are learned in defeat, our team is getting a great education.” -Murray Warmath

“I’m all for it!” -John McKay when asked what he thought about his team’s execution.

“I resigned as the Yellow Jackets coach because of illness and fatigue. The fans were sick and tired of me.” -Geoff Collins (sorry, that was John Ralston, and he said “Broncos”)

Or maybe another from Bum is appropriate:
“I always thought I could coach. I just thought people were poor judges of good coaches.”

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am happy for our DBs that sogned UDFA deals. I hope they all have successful NFL careers. But, as a group they did not play well the last two years. Was it scheming, positioning, or talent? I don't know. The result on the field was not good.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
We also need the guys we recruited to start living up to their high school rankings. Listen, we’ve gone 3-9 thrice with guys on the roster recruited from high school. So bringing in disgruntled 4 stars is a bad option. Other than Gibbs, it’s not like our own recruited guys were getting it done. Collins is doing a great job via the portal and the portal will be our best friend because no 4 stars will be coming here straight out of high school after multiple 3-9’s. The portal gives us a chance to turn that around. We just gotta get to some 7-5’s or 8-4’s.
Please remember that CGC and staff MUST coach players to perform beyond their ranking it's how the win loss record will flip and recruiting will take off...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Don't try to make sense of 'les miserables'. They'll take anything and turn it into criticism of the coach they don't like. Doesn't even matter what coach it is.

To be fair, sometimes it has nothing to do with the way a person feels about the coach. I for instance, am on record for advocating that CGC get at least one more year to continue the rebuilding process, and could probably be talked into a year 5 even if this year doesn't get us bowling, yet I loathe the way he does press conferences. Listening to him speak after a game, win or lose, is like listening to nails dragged across a chalk board.