Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Seems so long ago that we were all so hopeful about Collins. I started having buyers remorse after about the 10th time he disparaged CPJ with passive aggressive comments about his recruits and how hard it was going to be to rebuild.

Before some of you jump my case this HAS NOTHING TO DO with CPJ. This has to do with too many real life experiences I have had where you hire someone to do a job and they spend way too much time constructing an alibi for why they may not get the job done. Just do your job and lay off the excuses. People will see pretty quickly if you are all talk or whether you can actually do the job you were hired to do.

Once again I must add, believe it or not, I still hope we have some kind of magical turn around this season. I wish CGC the best and yearn for 3 years ago when we were all in his corner.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Seems so long ago that we were all so hopeful about Collins. I started having buyers remorse after about the 10th time he disparaged CPJ with passive aggressive comments about his recruits and how hard it was going to be to rebuild.

Before some of you jump my case this HAS NOTHING TO DO with CPJ. This has to do with too many real life experiences I have had where you hire someone to do a job and they spend way too much time constructing an alibi for why they may not get the job done. Just do your job and lay off the excuses. People will see pretty quickly if you are all talk or whether you can actually do the job you were hired to do.

Once again I must add, believe it or not, I still hope we have some kind of magical turn around this season. I wish CGC the best and yearn for 3 years ago when we were all in his corner.
My thoughts EXACTLY !! Well done !

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I still have hope that with the new assistants, he'll be able to turn it around. The biggest reason for that hope is that I believe Collins is a good recruiter. If he can find some coaching, he can do some damage. And if I'm redundant, it's because of the times I (and others) have been painted as having some sort of Collins hate agenda, though I've repeated this thought on numerous occasions.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Have been down at the beach for a long weekend with my wife and two kids so have been off the boards since Thursday but I have got a couple of hot takes:

In descending order of relevance for this thread, my digression regression in reverse if you will.

1) kWats bringing the wattage for our recruiting and I’m here for it. I think all of us realized the change in approach CGC brought was heavier emphasis on recruiting talent and less on Scheme. IIWII; jack of all trades is a master of none so most programs skew one way or another. That said I think we made upgrades on O scheme with Long and believe that paired with the recruiting staff upgrades will pay dividends this coming season.

2) people asking for the list, have clearly not seen fight club. Some things are just taboo..
brad pitt you do not talk about fight club GIF

However this list is a good one for people looking for lists (or ways to stay positive - this is the message we give to our players.) we are still doing good in the world and I’m hopeful our team will start playing better soon too:

3. There have been some good gif deployments in this thread, and I love seeing @kg01 having his HoDor moment against the evils of Fear, uncertainty and doubt this offseason. HoDor and GetBak a match made in heaven..
hold GIF

game of thrones hbo GIF

The lines have been drawn and I’ve chosen my side:

Game Of Thrones GIF

Oh wait, they already did that one for preseason camp? How about this one:

Mothers Day Mom GIF by Coach

GT33

Helluva Engineer
The changes this off-season may be the most dramatic in a positive way as we've seen on the Flats in a very, very long time (35 years). I'm going to double my pre-season win prediction to 4. Would not surprise me if we win 5.

We're probably only 2 staff moves away from having a solid group, I've lost track of what we need to plug holes in our swiss cheese roster there's been so much coming & going. The thing that will likely hold us back this year is lack of roster continuity along with 3-4 extra above average playmakers.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The changes this off-season may be the most dramatic in a positive way as we've seen on the Flats in a very, very long time (35 years). I'm going to double my pre-season win prediction to 4. Would not surprise me if we win 5.

We're probably only 2 staff moves away from having a solid group, I've lost track of what we need to plug holes in our swiss cheese roster there's been so much coming & going. The thing that will likely hold us back this year is lack of roster continuity along with 3-4 extra above average playmakers.
Like the first bit more than the last, but I agree that the difference will likely be significant on O.

Better offense = less snaps to cover on D = better D to start, and at this point CGC is make or break with fielding a competent D.

JacketFan137

Banned

i’m hoping blackburn can return to some kind of health. ACL injuries when you look at the analytics usually take a while after they return to fully get back to previous production. he got injured in spring 2021 so hopefully that extra time means he can get up to speed by mid season.

we have been absolutely devoid of consistency from our pass catchers the whole time collins has been here. some of that is because of passing concepts but i don’t think we have had a good big body target that was a legit red zone threat in a while. benson is another interesting prospect as his speed at the TE position combined with a coach who is known for TE production could be a great combo

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the changes this season have me (well not excite (Yet)) but at least hopeful to getting back or close to a winning season. I do agree CGC can recruit, he just cant coach. Now that the whole fanbase knows coaching is more important than recruiting, lets hope we can heal as a fan-base. Lets also hope CGC stays out of coaching anything but maybe a little of the defense. Has he learned his lessons is the real question. me being a glass half full person wants to think so. You would have to be really really dense not to have.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I believe we see positive change on both sides of the ball, not sure that one side has more positive change than the other. Obvious statement , but trenches both sides will be improved therefore improving play at other positions both sides, not withstanding the loss of one very talented player. IMO kids don't step up they will move on and someone will replace them pretty quickly. That's where we are in todays CFB and maybe that part of it is good.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Football is about the line of scrimmage. I have yet to see us get guys who can clearly play there. We’ve got some really big guys coming in on the O line, but they couldn’t crack starting lineups at programs at our level(well we *used* to be at the level of the Kentuckys of the world). On D some good secondary guys and a promising DE, but no DTs and only the one DE. Plus no LBs.

Color me still very concerned. My prediction remains 3 wins.

JacketFan137

Banned
I believe we see positive change on both sides of the ball, not sure that one side has more positive change than the other. Obvious statement , but trenches both sides will be improved therefore improving play at other positions both sides, not withstanding the loss of one very talented player. IMO kids don't step up they will move on and someone will replace them pretty quickly. That's where we are in todays CFB and maybe that part of it is good.
replacing them with guys with college experience is also helpful. even if they weren’t getting Pt at other schools they have spent time in college and with a year of college S&C they will likely be bigger and faster than a guy who was playing hs ball a year ago

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
replacing them with guys with college experience is also helpful. even if they weren’t getting Pt at other schools they have spent time in college and with a year of college S&C they will likely be bigger and faster than a guy who was playing hs ball a year ago

It's been said here and elsewhere before, but this is having an impact on high school recruiting (along with the bonus Covid year). Why not take a former four star with a year or two of growth and maturity over a less developed asset. Plus the guy transferring in is more committed to the program than a guy with future options as the transfer has spent a travel chit already. I'm not against this type of team building. It's the present, might as well make it work for us.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It's been said here and elsewhere before, but this is having an impact on high school recruiting (along with the bonus Covid year). Why not take a former four star with a year or two of growth and maturity over a less developed asset. Plus the guy transferring in is more committed to the program than a guy with future options as the transfer has spent a travel chit already. I'm not against this type of team building. It's the present, might as well make it work for us.
I'm not sure loading up on guys who were struggling to get playing time at their previous school is a viable long term strategy.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure loading up on guys who were struggling to get playing time at their previous school is a viable long term strategy.
It's the best the staff can do coming off 3 straight 3-win seasons, I'm sure. Considering that, I guess they've done pretty well. No way around having to sign transfers if you're losing transfers. We just have to hope some of these guys have potential and the coaches/trainers can develop them. Some of them look promising, others not so much. Win more and maybe we can shop more fastidiously.