Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
This notion is always puzzling to me… why as fans should we show up year after year, game after game and watch a piss poor performance from top to bottom. Football wether college or NFL is entertainment and when the entertainment loses its excitement you turn it off. This is why the stadium was empty. Who wants to work all week and drive 1.5 hours to see us get our *** kicked?
This is the age-old question - which came first - poor team performance or fans not showing up for the game? I fall into the camp that fans will show up to watch good team performance.

As a longtime football season ticket holder, I did choose to resist the urge to sell our tix Saturday (unlike most) and did show up with my oldest son. However, the team's performance was very poor (again) and it was embarrassing to see 90% red in the stands. Like all but the UNC game this year, it simply wasn't as good investment of my time.

I, for one, have lost patience with the rebuild this season so won't be renewing season tix. Nor will those who sit in our immediate area. Will revisit IF the team's performance improves. I hear and empathize with Swilling and the players, but I'm not a believer in blindly throwing my money and time at a team just because I'm a fan. Too bad they are hard to watch on TV now also with the whole Bally Sports blackout thing... As with most consistently bad teams in any sport, it will be up to them to perform better and earn the fans back...

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
There is nothing demeaning about wanting money or assuming that a huge change in NIL that just happened might have played a part in his decision.

Ultimately we don't have any real idea why he made the choice. We can speculate all day. NIL could very well be a huge part. Wanting to compete for championship could very well be a huge part. Maybe he is disillusioned with the staff. Maybe he wants to go to a place where he can get 25+ and not split them. Or maybe he wants to go to a place that won't ask him to do kick off returns so he can save wear and tear on his legs. Maybe he wants to play in front of a ton of cheering fans, or maybe it has nothing to do with any of that.

maybe he reads GTSwarm and couldn't stand all of the biatching from our "fans" any longer

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
No, but they are responsible for cheering on the team. Again, the athletes have noticed we quit on them. There's a good chance several more will bail in the next week. One of their biggest complaints is that the fanbase quit on them. They are right. You can call it the coaches fault, but they just see an empty stadium. That's our fault. We have one job: show up and cheer. We failed that task.
100 to 0 was the final tally of the last two games and you want to blame the fans? Interesting take.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
24-29 Record in last 4 seasons.

CPJ resigned. It was time for GT to move on anyhow.

That being said, CPJ's first 3 seasons (25-14), and CPJ's last 3 seasons (21-16) absolutely blow CGC's 3 seasons at GT out of the water. There was never back to back losing seasons, and we made a bowl game 9 out of 11 years. CPJ had 1 losing season in the ACC (2015). Every recruit that stayed 4 years got to play in at least one ACC championship before they graduated and went to multiple bowl games.

Personally, I thought it was time for GT to move on as well. CPJ wasn't into it anymore, and recruiting was on the decline. TStan and some big money donors just chose the wrong guy for the job after CPJ stepped down. You take chances, and sometimes you whiff. We got the right guy to help break some GT recruiting myths/"hurdles", but the wrong guy to coach our football team.

I wouldn't use CPJ's record as a defense to why it's not smart to want CPJ back...because we are living in the alternate reality right now. It's not pretty.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
maybe he reads GTSwarm and couldn't stand all of the biatching from our "fans" any longer
Go read other teams boards that have lost a game. LSU fired their coach a couple of years after a NC. OU is pi$$ed at Riley, same at ND. Check out the Ohio St. Lose two games and want Urban back.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
No, but they are responsible for cheering on the team. Again, the athletes have noticed we quit on them. There's a good chance several more will bail in the next week. One of their biggest complaints is that the fanbase quit on them. They are right. You can call it the coaches fault, but they just see an empty stadium. That's our fault. We have one job: show up and cheer. We failed that task.
Do you actually believe this??

Nobody wants to play for a sure loser. That's the reason the kids are leaving.

Also the same reason there's no fans in the stands.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
This is the age-old question - which came first - poor team performance or fans not showing up for the game? I fall into the camp that fans will show up to watch good team performance.

As a longtime football season ticket holder, I did choose to resist the urge to sell our tix Saturday (unlike most) and did show up with my oldest son. However, the team's performance was very poor (again) and it was embarrassing to see 90% red in the stands. Like all but the UNC game this year, it simply wasn't as good investment of my time.

I, for one, have lost patience with the rebuild this season so won't be renewing season tix. Nor will those who sit in our immediate area. Will revisit IF the team's performance improves. I hear and empathize with Swilling and the players, but I'm not a believer in blindly throwing my money and time at a team just because I'm a fan. Too bad they are hard to watch on TV now also with the whole Bally Sports blackout thing... As with most consistently bad teams in any sport, it will be up to them to perform better and earn the fans back...
I did give up my 2 tickets but to GT fans. I was out of town. I will renew my tickets for the simple reason that lack of revenue is part of the reason we are in this mess. It is not because I expect a big turnaround.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
100 to 0 was the final tally of the last two games and you want to blame the fans? Interesting take.

For not showing up to the uga game? Yes, that's on the fans. The score is on the coaches and the players. Nowhere have I stated that fans not attending is costing us games. It is about to start costing us in retention of current players and recruitment of future ones.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We will miss Gibbs's talent. No doubt about that.

BUT...if you tell me the price of having above average OL play and above average QB play is losing Gibbs, I'll take that deal.

Of course, the dream scenario is getting good OL and QB play AND Gibbs coming back.

This is GT though, so we can't overdo it with good things.
I think we’ll miss Gibbs homerun ability for sure but I also think that we tried to hard at times to feed him the ball and it actually made our offense predictable and one-diminsional at times, we are hoing to have to vary our attack more without him. I also think that Smith is a potential star in his own right, can’t wait to see him and Griffin get their shots.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
CPJ resigned. It was time for GT to move on anyhow.

That being said, CPJ's first 3 seasons (25-14), and CPJ's last 3 seasons (21-16) absolutely blow CGC's 3 seasons at GT out of the water. There was never back to back losing seasons, and we made a bowl game 9 out of 11 years. CPJ had 1 losing season in the ACC (2015). Every recruit that stayed 4 years got to play in at least one ACC championship before they graduated and went to multiple bowl games.

Personally, I thought it was time for GT to move on as well. CPJ wasn't into it anymore, and recruiting was on the decline. TStan and some big money donors just chose the wrong guy for the job after CPJ stepped down. You take chances, and sometimes you whiff. We got the right guy to help break some GT recruiting myths/"hurdles", but the wrong guy to coach our football team.

I wouldn't use CPJ's record as a defense to why it's not smart to want CPJ back...because we are living in the alternate reality right now. It's not pretty.
great response

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I hate losing Gibbs like we all do but we have way bigger issues than losing a running back. The only way back, like every team who comes back from the scrap heap is to start with the offensive line. Build a cohesive Oline and QB’s and RB’s will come. Heck, we got Gibbs to come based on words alone. Once we come off the floor bloodied and show we have a OLine and a plan we’ll get skilled players. There are a ton of skilled position players out there. Every team has them and high schools churn out a new batch every year. We are what happens when the OLine sucks. The defense sucktitude is due to coaching. That can be fixed relatively quickly. We are down right now but we can jump back to average relatively quickly with decent coaching. Our only priority regarding the team (not coaches) is to get the OLine better. They are the engine. Everyone else are accessories.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Go read other teams boards that have lost a game. LSU fired their coach a couple of years after a NC. OU is pi$$ed at Riley, same at ND. Check out the Ohio St. Lose two games and want Urban back.
I read the Auburn board after the Bama game. They were saying that Harsin was on thin ice, and they should fire him if he doesn’t win 8 and beat bama next year. He is in his first year.
I can’t imagine the vitriol of most boards if they lost their last 6 and got shutout 100-0 in the last two. Tech fans shut down and drop out, these fans would be putting bricks through windows