Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
From prior to Dominick announcement.

6. GEORGIA TECH​

Departures: 11 (84.79)
Newcomers: 7 (86.71)
Net gain: +1.92
Georgia Tech lost a pair of 4-star players to SEC teams in the portal, including Jahmyr Gibbs, who rushed for a team-best 746 yards in 2021. Still, despite its top two portal transactions chalked up as departures, the Yellowjackets have upgraded the roster on paper, according to 247Sports. Offensive tackle Ahmari Harvey transferred from nearby Auburn, Clemson guard Paul Tchio is also committed and Notre Dame safety Khari Gee is enrolled in classes. The position to watch is quarterback, where only incumbent Jeff Sims (1,468 yards, 12 TDs, 7 INTs) returns after the Yellowjackets lost four signal callers. Akron quarterback Zach Gibson is set to join the Yellowjackets after throwing for 1,262 yards and 10 touchdowns with zero interceptions last season, and will challenge Sims for the starting job under new coordinator Chris Weinke.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe we have an average number of players, but we had a ton of strong contributors leaving instead of just folks that haven't seen the field.
See subsequent post. You may be right, but it’s not necessarily a dire situation.

I say that with the caveat that the merits of any ranking methodology can be debated, including 247’s transfer stars ranking.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I'm not at a panic point yet. Do you know the reason he left? Do you know who will replace him? Do you know.... if not, then why worry? College football is catching up to college basketball as being the sleaziest sports. You don't think that other schools are contacting players the same way we are contacting players? All I'm saying is lets see what the end result is. We've already seen a player enter the portal only to return a few days later. We may be inline to get some massive transfers after spring ball. Panicking over a team that will win between 3 and 6 games (as predicted by most fans) is small potatoes in life. My house is almost covered in white and gold I have so much gear (joys of being a bachelor). I drive 6+ hrs on gamedays. My devotion to GT is second only to God, and sometimes He catches my eye wondering. All in all, a just wait and see attitude when the first game is 199 days away, isn't a bad idea. A LOT can happen between now and then. Pace yourself my friend.

As for what gets me to panicking: nightmares of The Varsity running out of chili are way up there.
I’m much more in agreement with you than I let on. I think my point was/is, I personally don’t panic about my sports teams. But if I was one to panic about my sports teams, this would likely add to the concern/pessimism/negativity/panic. Regardless of if we knew exactly why he transferred or who may replace him.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Domineck had the most sacks on the team. He had the most tackles on the DL. Ivey had the most solo tackles on the DL, but Domineck was second. He started most of the games this season, and played in nearly all if not all.
He wasn’t starting at the end of the season.
Idk why people are making it seem like Domineck was unseated at the end of the year. Domineck played the most snaps on the entire DL against UGA, 3rd most on the DL against Notre Dame, and 3rd most against BC. The last 3 games of the year. And he played just as much as Ivey/White the last 3 games - literally almost the exact same # of snaps.

We were only starting 3 DL at the end of the year so of course the weak side DE isn’t going to “start” and therefore may see 2/3 fewer snaps a game than the strong side DE - which is exactly what happened.

JacketFan137

Banned
Maybe we have an average number of players, but we had a ton of strong contributors leaving instead of just folks that haven't seen the field.
a ton being 3. gibbs is obviously a major stud can’t be downplayed at all

ivey i think has a lot of people more worried about potential than actual substance. he might be great but we have yet to see it. domineck was solid but that production is far from irreplaceable

aside from those three players the portal losses have been guys that frankly weren’t good like adonicas sanders and jaquon griffin and then guys that declared for the draft, something that you can’t really prevent anyway

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
ivey i think has a lot of people more worried about potential than actual substance. he might be great but we have yet to see it.
Ivey was the top graded player on our D in 2021 and #3 in 2020. In his first two years of college. Sure, “best of the worst” and all that. But the data (“substance” in your words) shows he’s better than anyone else we have.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
True. But our two best d linemen have transferred which just seems odd as Turner has put multiple kids in the NFL.
I think Ivey was gone before Turner came on board. I think that's probably a combination of knowing Coleman was leaving and he was getting feedback that there would be NIL $$ for him at different programs. It would be interesting to know about Domineck because he's not going anywhere else until June anyway. Why wouldn't he give Turner a chance? It might be scheme-related or personality-related. I think Jordan graduates this spring, so maybe it's just that.

I don't know what it's like now, but when I was in school, it was not fun. I enjoyed my senior years because by then I had given up on GPA and had accepted that passing the class was good enough.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Seems silly for a d lineman to transfer as I really believe we have upgraded the coaching position on that side of the ball. David Turner is a truly impressive hire.

I hadn't really thought about that until reading your post. The timing of this transfer could be related to the new coach's wants/needs in terms of players.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disparaging the kid on the way out the door. I think this is a player we'll miss. But an argument could be made that he's undersized. A bit of a tweener. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility they told him they were gonna favor bigger guys or maybe wanted him to change positions or stte.

Again, again, again .. I'm not posting this to disparage the kid. Just trying to make sense of the timing.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think Ivey was gone before Turner came on board. I think that's probably a combination of knowing Coleman was leaving and he was getting feedback that there would be NIL $$ for him at different programs. It would be interesting to know about Domineck because he's not going anywhere else until June anyway. Why wouldn't he give Turner a chance? It might be scheme-related or personality-related. I think Jordan graduates this spring, so maybe it's just that.

I don't know what it's like now, but when I was in school, it was not fun. I enjoyed my senior years because by then I had given up on GPA and had accepted that passing the class was good enough.

This sounds like my life as a senior (and a super-senior :cautious:)

Techster

Helluva Engineer

According to AJC, Domineck graduated in December.

Also, for those that are saying "oh, he only had 3.5 sacks...", well he also had one of the highest pressure rates for a DL in all of Power 5. Ranked 8th in pressure rate. This is not an insignificant loss.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
B
This sounds like my life as a senior (and a super-senior :cautious:)
By my senior year I had it figured out and knew how much time I needed to devote to each class plus I could focus on the courses I had the most interest. May be they just want a change if they will have graduated. I hope it works out for the kids that decide to transfer but I do hope the older guys will have their degree.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
About three commas would have helped clarify this post. 😊

I didn't wanna be the one to say it. But I read that initially like ...

Confused Schitts Creek GIF by CBC