Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
What exactly does that mean? Why would a guy wait until just before spring practice to enter the portal? The coaches just got around to giving him the bad news?

That's not what @slugboy said. He said that the portal would pick up after spring practices, presumably because players will not like where they stand in the depth chart.

slugboy

Staff member
That's not what @slugboy said. He said that the portal would pick up after spring practices, presumably because players will not like where they stand in the depth chart.
That's my thinking. Also, some players might be told "hey, you might want to look for greener pastures". I don't think that's the case everywhere, but it's the case at enough places.

Going into the portal just before Spring practice seems unusual to me. I'd have to make way too many guesses as to why. It could be as simple as walking around in Nashville one morning and thinking "forget it--this isn't home for me".

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I was referring to the guy who just entered the portal.

Vanderbilt junior linebacker De'Rickey Wright has entered the NCAA transfer portal, 247Sports learned Tuesday. Wright is a versatile defender who played safety and outside linebacker with the Commodores, making 24 total tackles with 3 1/2 tackles for loss in eight games last season. The 6-foot-4, 230-pounder was previously committed to Ole Miss and Alabama during high school and held myriad Power Five offers as a four-star recruit, according to 247Sports' evaluators.

Wright was expected to compete for a starting spot in 2022 at Vanderbilt's Anchor position, an outside linebacker/defensive back hybrid. The native of Gadsden, Alabama, was a co-starter for the Commodores in 2021 but missed time due to a suspension.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Obviously can handle academic load. Gadsden not far from Atlanta. Would be a good pickup. Suspension might be a problem depending on what it was for. Kids do some stupid things sometimes but can right the ship with right support.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Very odd timing, right before spring ball. No need to panic however, just wait and see.
Serious question. Are you saying you’re not at the point of panic yet, or that you’d never panic over college football? If the former, what would get you to the point of panic?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Sad Kristen Bell GIF

I mean, at this point, what else can you do but this weird amalgamation of cry and laugh?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Follow. The. Money. Welcome to the new world of college football “free agency”. Good players (e.g., Gibbs, Dominick), whether recruited or developed, will get poached and move up from mediocre, second-tier teams, while benchwarmers (no offense intended) from top tier teams will drop down to the second-tier teams.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Serious question. Are you saying you’re not at the point of panic yet, or that you’d never panic over college football? If the former, what would get you to the point of panic?
I'm not at a panic point yet. Do you know the reason he left? Do you know who will replace him? Do you know.... if not, then why worry? College football is catching up to college basketball as being the sleaziest sports. You don't think that other schools are contacting players the same way we are contacting players? All I'm saying is lets see what the end result is. We've already seen a player enter the portal only to return a few days later. We may be inline to get some massive transfers after spring ball. Panicking over a team that will win between 3 and 6 games (as predicted by most fans) is small potatoes in life. My house is almost covered in white and gold I have so much gear (joys of being a bachelor). I drive 6+ hrs on gamedays. My devotion to GT is second only to God, and sometimes He catches my eye wondering. All in all, a just wait and see attitude when the first game is 199 days away, isn't a bad idea. A LOT can happen between now and then. Pace yourself my friend.

As for what gets me to panicking: nightmares of The Varsity running out of chili are way up there.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
No new news, but this ain't going to end well. And, as much as I dislike our current HC, I'm not sure it would end well for any HC. I'm sure you could find some team in a bigger "free fall", but there would not be many. Good coaches needs good/great players, and they need quantities of them.