Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
That’s what I’m seeing by looking at his PFF scores. He didn’t miss a tackle last season in 166 snaps, and has only missed 11 tackles in his career. He only misses 10% of his career tackle attempts, and has played a ton (1,647 career snaps on defense, 364 on special teams). In the last two seasons, he’s only given up one TD and has only committed two penalties.

He actually graded out pretty well this past season, but his score is skewed by his good performances against UConn, UTSA, Austin Peay, and UVA.
90% tackle rate? Honestly that might sell me alone after watching our open field abilities this season.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
I think all we need to target now in the portal is a quality DE or two, and maybe another LB, to keep up or improve on where we were last year!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not a surprise. I don't think Caleb Williams will end up the top QB in the draft when it's all said and done.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
I think all we need to target now in the portal is a quality DE or two, and maybe another LB, to keep up or improve on where we were last year!
I meant to add: if no one else declares for the portal after the bowl game. Is is IMPERATIVE that we keep both safeties next year

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Not a surprise. I don't think Caleb Williams will end up the top QB in the draft when it's all said and done.

That’s definitely a hot take, but I respect you putting it out there. Personally, I think the chances are higher that Maye is the third QB taken than Maye is the first QB taken.

Williams’ off-script ability gives him a potential upside that Maye hasn’t shown.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
That’s definitely a hot take, but I respect you putting it out there. Personally, I think the chances are higher that Maye is the third QB taken than Maye is the first QB taken.

Williams’ off-script ability gives him a potential upside that Maye hasn’t shown.
I think Maye is probably the safest pick between he, Williams, and Daniels. But he has a lower ceiling than both athletically.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Maye may not even be the top QB taken.

I think Caleb Williams is a great talent, but I was watching film breaking down his ability to dissect defenses in the passing game, and he has serious issues there. He masks it with his ability to improvise when the defense breaks down, but that's not a luxury afforded to NFL QBs. In fact, it was pointed out that it's not necessarily on all on Caleb Williams, a lot of it has to do with how Lincoln Riley develops his QBs. It's a great college offense that helps QBs put up huge numbers, but it's not necessarily the system for developing NFL level QBs. Look at the QBs under Riley that are currently in the NFL: Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, and Jalen Hurts. Only Murry and Mayfield are "true" Riley QBs. Hurts played under Kiffen, O'Brien, and Sarkisian before playing under Riley for 1 season. All three of those coaches are known to develop QBs. Murray and Mayfield are both mediocre QBs at the NFL level, and both QBs had the same issues as Williams early in their career in regards to processing defenses. Murray is pretty much on his way out of Arizona, and Mayfield is bouncing around the NFL.

Add to that, all the off field issues with Williams ("I'm not playing for certain teams if they draft me", "I want ownership interest in any team that wants me to play for them", post game issues with maturity).

Right now, the group of top tier draftable QBs is pretty deep. Williams (USC), Maye (UNC), Bo Nix (Oregon), Jayden Daniels (LSU), Michael Penix (Washington), and Dylan Leonard (Duke) if he opts for the NFL. Given amount of high level QB talent, it's hard for me to see Williams as the top QB given the holes in his passing game, and his self inflicted off the field issues.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Maye may not even be the top QB taken.

I think Caleb Williams is a great talent, but I was watching film breaking down his ability to dissect defenses in the passing game, and he has serious issues there. He masks it with his ability to improvise when the defense breaks down, but that's not a luxury afforded to NFL QBs. In fact, it was pointed out that it's not necessarily on all on Caleb Williams, a lot of it has to do with how Lincoln Riley develops his QBs. It's a great college offense that helps QBs put up huge numbers, but it's not necessarily the system for developing NFL level QBs. Look at the QBs under Riley that are currently in the NFL: Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, and Jalen Hurts. Only Murry and Mayfield are "true" Riley QBs. Hurts played under Kiffen, O'Brien, and Sarkisian before playing under Riley for 1 season. All three of those coaches are known to develop QBs. Murray and Mayfield are both mediocre QBs at the NFL level, and both QBs had the same issues as Williams early in their career in regards to processing defenses. Murray is pretty much on his way out of Arizona, and Mayfield is bouncing around the NFL.

Add to that, all the off field issues with Williams ("I'm not playing for certain teams if they draft me", "I want ownership interest in any team that wants me to play for them", post game issues with maturity).

Right now, the group of top tier draftable QBs is pretty deep. Williams (USC), Maye (UNC), Bo Nix (Oregon), Jayden Daniels (LSU), Michael Penix (Washington), and Dylan Leonard (Duke) if he opts for the NFL. Given amount of high level QB talent, it's hard for me to see Williams as the top QB given the holes in his passing game, and his self inflicted off the field issues.
I do think there’s a deep group of solid QB prospects this year (fortunately for Atlanta). Another thing about Williams that I’m hearing is that his father is in Lavar Ball territory.