Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Maye may not even be the top QB taken.

I think Caleb Williams is a great talent, but I was watching film breaking down his ability to dissect defenses in the passing game, and he has serious issues there. He masks it with his ability to improvise when the defense breaks down, but that's not a luxury afforded to NFL QBs. In fact, it was pointed out that it's not necessarily on all on Caleb Williams, a lot of it has to do with how Lincoln Riley develops his QBs. It's a great college offense that helps QBs put up huge numbers, but it's not necessarily the system for developing NFL level QBs. Look at the QBs under Riley that are currently in the NFL: Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, and Jalen Hurts. Only Murry and Mayfield are "true" Riley QBs. Hurts played under Kiffen, O'Brien, and Sarkisian before playing under Riley for 1 season. All three of those coaches are known to develop QBs. Murray and Mayfield are both mediocre QBs at the NFL level, and both QBs had the same issues as Williams early in their career in regards to processing defenses. Murray is pretty much on his way out of Arizona, and Mayfield is bouncing around the NFL.

Add to that, all the off field issues with Williams ("I'm not playing for certain teams if they draft me", "I want ownership interest in any team that wants me to play for them", post game issues with maturity).

Right now, the group of top tier draftable QBs is pretty deep. Williams (USC), Maye (UNC), Bo Nix (Oregon), Jayden Daniels (LSU), Michael Penix (Washington), and Dylan Leonard (Duke) if he opts for the NFL. Given amount of high level QB talent, it's hard for me to see Williams as the top QB given the holes in his passing game, and his self inflicted off the field issues.
A couple of pretty good NFL QBs told the NFL they wouldn’t play for certain teams. Worked out pretty for Eleay and Eli Manning.

When Hurts left Alabama he was a great athlete that had an NFL arm. He became a QB at Oklahoma.

The counter to your point on Mayfield is he really does not possess NFL talent yet he is a starter. Murray is a great athlete. His pro coaching has been far worse than his coaching at Oklahoma. Kingsberry, bad college coach, the Cardinals are a broken franchise.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A couple of pretty good NFL QBs told the NFL they wouldn’t play for certain teams. Worked out pretty for Eleay and Eli Manning.

When Hurts left Alabama he was a great athlete that had an NFL arm. He became a QB at Oklahoma.

The counter to your point on Mayfield is he really does not possess NFL talent yet he is a starter. Murray is a great athlete. His pro coaching has been far worse than his coaching at Oklahoma. Kingsberry, bad college coach, the Cardinals are a broken franchise.

Eli Manning had the Manning name and all that comes with it. No clue who Eleay is. Good luck to Caleb Williams with that.

As for the rest, I'll let their record in the NFL speak for themselves. You don't have to take my word about Lincoln Riley and preparing NFL QBs, there's quite a few articles by national writers that discusses the holes his college QBs have in the NFL.

Jalen Hurts is a great example of my point. Riley has a QB friendly offense and Hurts took advantage of it. If anything, Hurts is to be commended for growing his game at every stop (even more so at the NFL level)...but to think playing under Kiffin/O'Brien/Sarkisian wasn't as impactful as his time at Oklahoma, you forget what those coaches did at other stops and at the NFL level.

We'll see how it plays out in April. I'll be shocked if Caleb Williams goes #1.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Eli Manning had the Manning name and all that comes with it. No clue who Eleay is. Good luck to Caleb Williams with that.

As for the rest, I'll let their record in the NFL speak for themselves. You don't have to take my word about Lincoln Riley and preparing NFL QBs, there's quite a few articles by national writers that discusses the holes his college QBs have in the NFL.

Jalen Hurts is a great example of my point. Riley has a QB friendly offense and Hurts took advantage of it. If anything, Hurts is to be commended for growing his game at every stop (even more so at the NFL level)...but to think playing under Kiffin/O'Brien/Sarkisian wasn't as impactful as his time at Oklahoma, you forget what those coaches did at other stops and at the NFL level.

Eleay = Elway

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

Elway? John Elway?

Otherwise known as Eleay. :p

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
OK, those other guys are smaller or that is photoshopped. He looks at least 6’7” 350 in that photo if those other OL are your typical 6’4” 290.
Or just a tricky camera angle which makes him look huge. Any way you slice it I am less concerned with 6’4-6’7 let’s hone in on how he moves with his size and how fierce he is with his hands. But I agree the photo makes him look huge!

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
MTSU Transfer:

Client?

1702403730151.png

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One less DT we have to worry about. Solid season from him this year. 34 tackles (17 solo), 2 sackes, 1 forced fumble (against UGA).

Should be even better next year. GT is a place our DTs mature later, and it's important we keep them in their 3rd and 4th seasons (if they're not going to the NFL).